Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Canbus theft - interesting article

10 hours ago, eightk said:

And then buy the kit to do it for under two grand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMdfgYi09_w

Is it nearly recall time yet?

Vehicle manufacturers can only issue an official recall for SAFETY related issues, issues which could mean potential for injury or death. 

Theft of the vehicle isn't one of them.

1 hour ago, Toyota Owner said:

Vehicle manufacturers can only issue an official recall for SAFETY related issues, issues which could mean potential for injury or death. 

Theft of the vehicle isn't one of them.

Does not have to be an official recorded safety issue recall. Nothing to stop a manufacturer having a non safety recall for whatever they want, doesn't have to be an "official" recorded one, but in reality they avoid as best they can to save the costs.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bezzer said:

Does not have to be an official recorded safety issue recall. Nothing to stop a manufacturer having a non safety recall for whatever they want, doesn't have to be an "official" recorded one, but in reality they avoid as best they can to save the costs.

Toyota / Lexus could issue a customer satisfaction campaign - if they wanted to spend money on a fix. 

As far as Toyota / Lexus see it, the vehicle should be insured against theft & the factory fitted security system meets all requirements for sale in the UK market. 

Several suitable aftermarket security options on the market for owners to pick from to protect Toyota / Lexus hybrid vehicles from theft. 

Am I annoyed Toyota wont provide a fix for my vehicle - not really, I knew it wouldn't happen so took additional steps to protect it. 

Manufacturers run “campaigns” to apply updates and fix minor issues when cars are in for other work all of the time. No reason Toyota/Lexus couldn’t run one here if they wanted to. 

2 hours ago, Toyota Owner said:

Am I annoyed Toyota wont provide a fix for my vehicle - not really, I knew it wouldn't happen so took additional steps to protect it. 

Well unless you have a 24-hour security detail wherever you go there is nothing to stop getting your bumper / wheel arch ripped off.

If Lexus / Toyota deployed a fix to all vulnerable vehicles then these attacks would start to reduce.

I heard on BBC Radio news earlier that the boss of JLR has been defending the security of Range Rovers following reports of ‘soaring’ insurance costs. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/jaguar-land-rover-stolen-insurance-cost-b2489922.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toyota Owner said:

Are you happy that you have taken the "additional steps" but still have an insurance premium that goes up regardless? For the life of me, I cannot understand why Lexus can't solve this problem by a software fix or indeed a hardware solution.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

I heard on BBC Radio news earlier that the boss of JLR has been defending the security of Range Rovers following reports of ‘soaring’ insurance costs. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/jaguar-land-rover-stolen-insurance-cost-b2489922.html

Yes, I was reading about this in the D Telegraph this morning.  As well as investing several millions on improving vehicle security, he claimed that JRL were donating several hundred thousands to persuade dock security to do their job more efficiently.

As he rightly states:

“We’ve got to make it more difficult for gangs and people to operate. We’re partly funding police security at the ports because there isn’t enough. The containers are not being checked, and they get out of the country.”

It would be interesting to know who knew about these failings and did nothing about them!  Sounds like the Post Office debacle all over again!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Also similar article in The Guardian today about JLR stolen vehicles with additional information on electric vehicles and new Battery production in the UK            https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/feb/02/range-rover-helps-drive-jlr-highest-quarterly-profit-since-2017?utm_term=65bdf288cd242cbd514d43dbf1d50551&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spock66 said:

Well unless you have a 24-hour security detail wherever you go there is nothing to stop getting your bumper / wheel arch ripped off.

If Lexus / Toyota deployed a fix to all vulnerable vehicles then these attacks would start to reduce.

Any attempt to get at the wiring to carry out a CAN invader theft will be met with an alarming surprise as I took additional steps to protect my vehicle. 

1 hour ago, Toyota Owner said:

Any attempt to get at the wiring to carry out a CAN invader theft will be met with an alarming surprise as I took additional steps to protect my vehicle. 

I'm intrigued......

2 hours ago, Mincey said:

I'm intrigued......

You can stay intrigued, I posted a link including a video back in July to a company that had worked out how to secure Toyota / Lexus hybrids successfully by upgrading the security system without resorting to fitting a Ghost but someone removed the link 🤣

4 hours ago, Toyota Owner said:

You can stay intrigued, I posted a link including a video back in July to a company that had worked out how to secure Toyota / Lexus hybrids successfully by upgrading the security system without resorting to fitting a Ghost but someone removed the link 🤣

Harsh! :winkiss:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links