Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Sealant Expired

A few weeks ago car went for service and i was advised the Tyre Sealant has expired 2 years ago.... Funnily they never mentioned that in the last 2 services i had.

Anyway anybody know where i can get a replacement bottle from? LPD only sell the full kit and actually have 2 listed 1 at £72 and 1 at £108.

Or any suggestions for a 3rd part sealant bottle?

image.thumb.png.85ab335128a5908f7d9b06586128800b.png

And to order the £78 kit from Japan with 6 day shipping is £25 + postage which im sure wont be that much 😂

26 minutes ago, agent_dess said:

A few weeks ago car went for service and i was advised the Tyre Sealant has expired 2 years ago.... Funnily they never mentioned that in the last 2 services i had.

Anyway anybody know where i can get a replacement bottle from? LPD only sell the full kit and actually have 2 listed 1 at £72 and 1 at £108.

Or any suggestions for a 3rd part sealant bottle?

image.thumb.png.85ab335128a5908f7d9b06586128800b.png

And to order the £78 kit from Japan with 6 day shipping is £25 + postage which im sure wont be that much 😂

I think Halfords have them and I think Euro carparts have them too, not sure which one of these have them on offer at the moment.

I would be very skeptical if it works for anything other than a very minor slow puncture regardless of the expiry date, just make sure you have breakdown cover in place.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, agent_dess said:

And where do i keep that? 😂

it's totally your choice BUT if you don't have one the RAC / AA whatever can't get you mobile again ......  they have all the necessary jacks etc so you don't need those .  provided you have BreakDown Cover ok

I can guaranteee that if you get a busted tyre . a pothole, on a Sunday night, Bank Holiday, 2am in the morning you WILL thank me for urging you to have that spare wheel

It's so amazingly inconvenient if you don't have one !

Malc

• Like 2

My understanding is, tyre shops hate this sealant. And the tyre is ruined if it’s repairable (I.e., a puncture). Can anyone confirm?

Space saver makes sense but space is absolutely a concern. Would the recovery company not just tow you home or to a tyre shop, on the back of their truck? 

If a space saver is the way to go, will one fit either the front or back, with the differing tyre sizes?

I am told at every service that mine has expired, I think they last 5 years. I bought a space saver from Lexus quite a few years ago and carry it in a tyre cover in the boot. It does take up space but I still have room for golf clubs and electric trolley so I am happy with that.

• Like 1

Yes tyre shops hate tyre sealant and I know fir a fact they refuse to deal with a customer whose used it. I speak from the experience of a few friends. 

The space saver wheel fits all four corners.

• Like 2

According the manual also your TPMS sensors are at risk when using sealant.  All in all using it can be quite costly and the stuff does not always work.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, matt8 said:

Would the recovery company not just tow you home or to a tyre shop, on the back of their truck? 

but maybe not much use on a Sunday or 2am in the morning or on a Bank Holiday when all is shut !

I know, happened to my daughter in her Arbath with no spare wheel or spacesaver ............... no substitute for a sparewheel when all is against you .......  but it wasn't raining !

Malc

Space saver tyres are great asset, but the idea of jacking up such a heavy vehicle on a very iffy jack can be a nightmare. In many circumstances, such as incline, dark, traffic and ability to remove and refit the wheel correctly and hoping the tyre has the correct pressure. I personally would have a tyre inflater and hope for the best if it is slow, or a breakdown service. At my age and a retired HGV engineer who has changed many lorry wheels on the side of the road and motorways (without the lane being closed)  I would still be apprehensive on the road side.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cdmaskell said:

Space saver tyres are great asset, but the idea of jacking up such a heavy vehicle on a very iffy jack can be a nightmare. In many circumstances, such as incline, dark, traffic and ability to remove and refit the wheel correctly and hoping the tyre has the correct pressure. I personally would have a tyre inflater and hope for the best if it is slow, or a breakdown service. At my age and a retired HGV engineer who has changed many lorry wheels on the side of the road and motorways (without the lane being closed)  I would still be apprehensive on the road side.

The BreakDown service will carry all the appropriate jacks etc  but NOT a spare wheel for you ! 

Malc 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

The BreakDown service will carry all the appropriate jacks etc  but NOT a spare wheel for you ! 

Malc 

They will, and have appropriate space saver’s with various sizes and stud figurations.

• Confused 1

Not in my dear daughters experience at all 

Might be she was just unlucky then 

ok then forget what I’ve been saying …… run around with that tube of gunk to fix that blowout  destroyed tyre 😄

No one needs to ever carry a spare wheel or space saver these days, your breakdown recovery RAC AA whoever  will sort it all out for you whatever whenever  24/7 👍

Malc 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, matt8 said:

I think an issue might be that the Patrol Van has none left on his day's endeavour maybe ............ having used them all-up prior to getting your call 

I think i would still want to carry one if at all possible

Malc

• Like 1

Spare wheel isn't ideal if you have a family and the boot is full.  I've no issue in purchasing a spare wheel and keeping it into he garage, In all my years all my flats have been while at home obviously from a nail the night before.  But I'm not fan of the sealant gunk it's just a shame in the is300h the Battery takes up the boot space.  I will also admit I've never had breakdown cover in the 25 years of driving what can ever wrong in the Toyota/Lexus 🤣 but in my view that is the middle ground.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, agent_dess said:

Spare wheel isn't ideal if you have a family and the boot is full.  I've no issue in purchasing a spare wheel and keeping it into he garage, In all my years all my flats have been while at home obviously from a nail the night before.  But I'm not fan of the sealant gunk it's just a shame in the is300h the battery takes up the boot space.  I will also admit I've never had breakdown cover in the 25 years of driving what can ever wrong in the Toyota/Lexus 🤣 but in my view that is the middle ground.

Potholes can simply destroy tyres and a tube of gunk won’t fix that …… you’re clearly immune thankfully 🥳

You've been very fortunate never to need Breakdown Cover …….. lots of £££££ saved AND all that useful space free in your cars not carrying that totally useless spare wheel and jack 

I'm sure your plan of inaction will continue to find favour with the gods  🤥

Blessed are the few and that clearly includes yew 😇

Good luck 

Malc 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

My probs naive question is: WHY do tyre shops hate it so much? Can they just change tyres and that's it?

I think repairing the puncture is impossible if you've used the gunk. Im sure they're more than happy to sell you a new tyre.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Notamech said:

I think repairing the puncture is impossible if you've used the gunk. Im sure they're more than happy to sell you a new tyre.

That's not true, depending on what product you use. Normally it is the tyre shop wanting to sell you a new tyre.

e.g.

• Tyreweld is a water based foam which won’t damage your tyres in any way and can be wiped out of tyres easily. You should tell your mechanic before they remove the tyre that you’ve used Tyreweld. Some mechanics might not be familiar with Tyreweld’s formula, so you should inform them that it doesn’t damage tyres and can be wiped out. However it might be that on inspecting your tyre, the repairer has found other damage which makes it unroadworthy. If this is the case, ask for details so you know why the tyre is being replaced.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links