Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2024 Vehicle tax NX350h

Hi Folks

I’ve just had a letter purportedly from DVLA inviting me to renew my vehicle tax at £560. I  nearly fell off my rocking chair….this is a lot more than my old Nx300.

Is there some mistake here? I’d appreciate your advice.

Many thanks

Andy.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Andyml said:

Hi Folks

I’ve just had a letter purportedly from DVLA inviting me to renew my vehicle tax at £560. I  nearly fell off my rocking chair….this is a lot more than my old Nx300.

Many thanks

Andy.  

No mistake there

Any car over the £40k band pays an extra £390 which I believe is for the first 5 years. This has been ongoing since 2017

• Like 3

Yes, as said there is a massive penalty for being "rich and being able to afford a luxury car at over £40k".

Really annoys me. Lots of "normal cars" are over that price nowadays.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, rayaans said:

No mistake there

Any car over the £40k band pays an extra £390 which I believe is for the first 5 years. This has been ongoing since 2017

Exactly, and in true fashion inflation doesn’t happen to elements of our government’s taxation policy.
The £40k threshold was set in 2017 and will no doubt still be here in 2030 so that every new car is captured by it.

• Like 3

Paid this twice already but did know it was coming😢😢

Just avoided it on my previous car - UX. Knew the NX would push me over the threshold but rationalise it as a cost of purchase. Doesn’t make paying it any easier though!🤬

Many thanks folks…..I thought I might have been scammed….I have…by the Government.  😡😡

You’ve put my mind at test though and thanks for responding so promptly. 😂

Andy

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Andyml said:

Many thanks folks…..I thought I might have been scammed….I have…by the Government.  😡😡

You’ve put my mind at test though and thanks for responding so promptly. 😂

Andy

A Double Scammy Andy Unfortunately..!!!

• Like 1

Indeed - no mistake unfortunately. This is something I'm bracing myself for when my tax will be up at the end of August.

I simply refer to it as the 'envy tax', of which more and more cars are now falling into. Even reasonably modest cars are now upwards of £30k. It's ridiculous. 

I just about escaped it with my old UX (literally - by a few hundred pounds). There was no way of escaping it with the NX sadly, regardless of model - which was one of the reasons why I plumped for the Takumi in the end. 

• Like 2

I had this when i ordered my IS300H F Sport in 2019. Narrowed my colour choice down to grey or silver then fortunately the dealer told me that the grey one would be £120 to tax and the silver one would be over £500. Totally bonkers as it would have physically been the same car, just silver paint was £300 dearer. Guess what colour i picked

Rob

• Like 1

I am very surprised that manufacturers don't sell lots of cars at £39,995.

There are even lots of cars just over £40k which seems stupid 🙄

• Like 1

If Wikipedia is to be believed basic VED is well below that to be expected if keeping in line with inflation?

"Following the 1888 budget, two new vehicle duties were introduced – the locomotive duty and the trade cart duty (a general wheel-tax also announced in the same budget was abandoned). The locomotive duty was levied at £5 (equivalent to £592.55 as of 2021)"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Excise_Duty

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scotlex said:

Indeed. I remember when I ordered my UX, the Takumi was fractionally above the £40k mark - which ruled it out for me. So I went for an F-Sport with option packs which took it to an 'almost Takumi' spec - to bring the price just short of £40k. Mechanically identical, yet hundreds of pounds of difference to tax a year. It makes no sense at all. 

Before I settled on the UX and was shopping around the brands, I noticed almost everything I considered was literally just over the £40k mark by a few hundred pounds. I often wondered at the time how many sales it would have cost them. I'd also like to know who decided on the price of these cars - given this £40k 'envy tax' band was already well known by that point. 

• Like 3

Its just another way the government bleaches you of all your hard earned wedge, Ironically i could have got the same car in Silver for exactly the same price 36k, but the tax would have still been over £500 as it goes by the manufacturers book price and not the price you actually pay.

Rob

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gaazzared said:

How come a dealer can tax your car at first registration for £200 and then it cost us £560 a year after that. 

So they can keep the OTR prices down a bit

5 hours ago, Scotlex said:

For the luxury car tax list price, it excludes the first year tax and first registration fee (£55). Thus a car at £40,300 can still fall under depending on the co2 rating and initial tax rate.

Lexus are aware of this as the ES starting price has been £39,995 and now £40,000 for quite some time… despite list prices on other Lexus models going up hundreds or thousands of pounds in the same time period. 

45 minutes ago, Gaazzared said:

How come a dealer can tax your car at first registration for £200 and then it cost us £560 a year after that. 

Because the first year VED is based only on CO2 the extra comes in at year 2-6

"Cars that cost £40,000 or more (after options) are subject to a further £390 annual supplement (up from £355 in 2021/2022) that runs for five years. This kicks in after the first-year’s CO2-based charge, so you’ll pay the supplement from years two to six of the car’s life."

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ved-car-tax-how-does-uk-road-tax-work-and-how-much-will-it-cost-you

On 2/11/2024 at 7:00 PM, Andyml said:

Hi Folks

Many thanks

Andy.  

I did fall off when mine came through last October. Never paid that much on car tax prior to NX.

• Like 1

And I have always wondered why the £8000 VAT should be included in their 'over £40000' calculation? That isn't the cost of the car, that's just cash for the government. If it was actually the cost of the car and lot more vehicles would come in under £40000.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, robby666 said:

And I have always wondered why the £8000 VAT should be included in their 'over £40000' calculation? That isn't the cost of the car, that's just cash for the government. If it was actually the cost of the car and lot more vehicles would come in under £40000.

So they can tax us more. If they didn't tax it here they would just implement a tax elsewhere to make up the numbers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hayzee said:

So they can tax us more. If they didn't tax it here they would just implement a tax elsewhere to make up the numbers.

Unfortunately motorists are considered fair game by all bodies who wish to raise cash. Always have been and always will be.

Its not just central government, just looks at all of the sce Hermes being dreamt up by local authorities.

Good example is the QE2 crossings at Datford. The tolls paid for their constructions many years ago but they just keep dreaming up new reasons why the tolls should not be abolished whilst charging U.K. motorists but ignoring all of the foreign visitors who leave without paying the toll.

At least the Severn Bridge tolls were scrapped.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I was happy to finish paying the extra £390 on my NX last December. Now, I need to start paying extra again from next March for the LC. Hope they don't ask for £410 since that's starting from 1st of April.

5 minutes ago, Sadz said:

I was happy to finish paying the extra £390 on my NX last December. Now, I need to start paying extra again from next March for the LC. Hope they don't ask for £410 since that's starting from 1st of April.

The luxury car tax element is for years 2 to 6. So you don’t pay it in the first year, but do for the following 5 years. VED typically increases by inflation each year, including the luxury element. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links