Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lexus RX Vs Genesis GV80

Hi everyone

Im looking for my next car coming from a range rover sport and while I loved it after owing it for 3yrs reliability is at the top of my list for my next car I never want to be stranded on the motorway ever again. 

I've test driven both and am stuck as there both great cars but I've read online that genesis don't have the best reliability and there's been a few complaints on the car and the dear network is not great even now there merging with Hyundai were lexus's reliability is legendary apparently and the dealers are fantastic. 

I just want to get people's opinions on these 2 cars and to hear from Lexus owners on how true it is that they are the most reliable cars you can get. 

I suppose anything will be more reliable after a range rover. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi Sara, like you I moved from a Range Rover (L322 in my case) and didn’t enjoy the dealer experience (however my local independent was great). It took the dealer 3 months to confirm if a new Velar P400e could be specified with a sunroof and a tow bar; in the subsequent period I had 2 test drives of the RX and had placed an order.

The RX is very good, we’ve had it since July last year and covered over 6,000 miles including carrying bicycles on the tow bar. I’m getting 2.7 miles per kWh and about 38mpg when I adjust the EV distance covered out.

Dealers are okay, they are fine when you are in the dealership but, in my case, need a lot of chasing by phone/email for enquiries or discussing technical queries. I suppose it’s rather obvious that they’re better at selling and being pleasant when customer facing, but they’re not that advanced on the technical aspects of the car (I suppose that’s what this forum is for!).

I didn’t try a Genesis because they were just too new in Q1 last year, but did try KIA, Hyundai, Jaguar and Land Rover products. I’m happy with the choice we made, but sometimes miss the air suspension when the mud and floods are about…

Best wishes for making your choice

• Like 1

Hi Sara

I can thoroughly recommend the RX450h+ - a fantastic car. I previously owned a NX450h+ and prior to that a NX300h. Other than routine servicing and manufacturer's recalls (on the 450h+) I didn't have to return to the dealership. Build quality is superb and my local dealership (Lexus Edinburgh) first class. As I have reported previously I set out in 2017 to buy a Discovery Sport but was underwhelmed by the dealer and crossed the road to Lexus where the reception received was outstanding. 7 years on and I'm now on my third Lexus. I'm currently achieving over 60mpg when combining the cost of EV charging (overnight at home) and converting this into current petrol cost. Actually got over 70mpg from the NX450h+ but pleased with the RX result considering its a larger and heavier vehicle. If you can run it in EV mode as much as possible the results will be outstanding.

Haven't driven a Genesis but did consider a Kia EV6 and test drove one - impressive but EV charging infrastructure and overall range just isn't good enough.

I've only ever seen one Genesis in the flesh....on the back of a breakdown truck.I believe they are a gussied up Hyundai...In the same way Lexus and Toyota operate.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DavidCM said:

I've only ever seen one Genesis in the flesh....on the back of a breakdown truck.I believe they are a gussied up Hyundai...In the same way Lexus and Toyota operate.

Spot on, they are indeed a posh Hyundai. 

25 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

Personally I think the Mazda CX-60 looks like a good alternative to Lexus, but no personal experience.

I've not driven one,but Mazdas are very reliable.I bought 2 new ones when I retired  I bought,an MX5 and a CX7...the then equivalent of the CX60 and similar,but a rung down from the Lexus RX.Excllent cars ,both of them ...the CX7 could do  a  450 mile day trip in complete comfort.

1 hour ago, Spock66 said:

Personally I think the Mazda CX-60 looks like a good alternative to Lexus, but no personal experience.

quite a few of my relatives have them… Mazda 2, Mazda 3, Mazda CX5. Never heard them complain of any issues (unlike the VWs and Fords before!).

8 hours ago, Spock66 said:

We did go to Mazda and sat in the CX-60 but as we wanted a light interior we thought that the combination of cream colours in the Mazda wasn’t as appealing as the Lexus. Furthermore the dealership experience was not as welcoming as Lexus.

• Like 2

After speaking to Genesis owners it seems there after sales are awful and they have bad customer service as in never get back to you or take weeks do anything there seems to be a lot of unhappy customers. 

My test drive of the GV80 was a friend's car because I could find a dealer with the gv80 to test drive and some never got back to me. 

Where Lexus I managed to arrange a test drive pretty quick and they were very lovely to me me and awnsered any questions I had. 

What is the after sale like in Lexus dealers? 

I know there's a recent issue with theft too like in range rovers which is a shame but I'll add everything and anything I can to protect my car the best I can and disable keyless entry. 

Genesis make high quality and individual cars and I respect them for not following the herd.

However and contrary to their wholly unrealistic promise at the outset, the Genesis customer experience was terrible as the personal assistant system does not work. I was also told that for any even minor checks the car will be driven up to 100 miles to their “local” facility.  Most unattractive in my view and no reason for me to change from Lexus after two decades where the customer care is consistently excellent. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sara.E said:

What is the after sale like in Lexus dealers? 

In my experience the aftersales customer care over 7 years has been brilliant-text book stuff!

• Like 1

After reading through the forum on the theft issues have I understood correctly that the newer RX models will have updated software/ tech to make it harder for them to be stolen? 

I should add that my attempts to test drive a Genesis was futile and most frustrating.  The personal assistant never bothered reverting, chasing emails and a quiet chat with the Genesis rep at Goodwood eventually LED to a call back many weeks later.  By that time I told them bluntly this is simply not good enough especially for a Lexus owner given the excellent customer service that we are accustomed to. Recently I have noticed Genesis are using local Hyundai dealers so that is another big no from me. 

My prediction is that Lexus standards will also slip in the future due to mass sales of the new LBX baby.  In years to come there will be thousands of them requiring servicing and already as the brand has grown, it often takes one month to book in for service.  I fear that unless more dealerships are opened the previous excellence cannot realistically be sustained.  However, I would still be confident of receiving a vastly superior service compared with our German and other friends.    

• Like 1

To update you all I've decided the winner is the RX and I'm joining the Lexus family. 

It just makes the most sense they have a good track record for reliability , have a great warranty and I prefer the cars ride overall it's much smoother. 

I'm going for a takumi trim not sure on engine yet I'll have try them out to decide which is for me as I test drove a 350 which was good enough for me. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sara.E said:

I'm going for a takumi trim not sure on engine yet I'll have try them out to decide which is for me as I test drove a 350 which was good enough for me. 

I was originally going for the NX 350h, but got a too-good-to-pass-up deal on a plug-in hybrid (the 450h). 

I now really enjoy doing all my local trips and shopping etc. purely on electricity, with the security of a large petrol tank to travel the longer distances when needed. The increased bhp and reduced 0-60 time is also very nice.

There are incentives for manufacturers to sell more hybrid plugins (due to lower co2 ratings)… and so my understanding is the RX 350h has a £1000 deposit contribution and 5.9% PCP finance vs £4000 deposit contribution and 1.9% PCP finance on the 450h+ plugin. Should mean the bigger engine and plug-in works out cheaper for most…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sara.E said:

To update you all I've decided the winner is the RX and I'm joining the Lexus family. 

It just makes the most sense they have a good track record for reliability , have a great warranty and I prefer the cars ride overall it's much smoother. 

Congratulations Sara - good choice! The 450h+ in Premium Plus trim is a fab car.

• Like 1

We currently have a Lexus GS F and have been with Lexus for over 14 years. We also have a Genesis Electrified GV70.

The customer service from Genesis was initially fantastic and the personal assistant scheme worked extremely well for us when it was around. Unfortunately this has now been shelved and the Genesis customer service team are horrendous. A really shame as the car is absolutely fantastic and unfortunately better than anything EV related that Lexus currently offers. 

Lexus customer service is on a whole the best on the market. 

Congratulations on your RX OP. We had one for 8 years and it was a great car. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links