Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Gs300 Series I: Annoying Squeak Front Near Side

Can anyone offer any advice on a really annoying squeak that is emitting from the front near side please?

It's there when driving at slow speed and up to 20-30 mph, but it's not there when braking.

So far no amount of cleaning without removing the wheel has stopped it.

Is it just break dust that needs the wheel off to remove it or is there more to it, hopefully not as it's not there when braking.

None of the other corners emit this noise.

Thanks in advance.

Is the noise constant or like a pulsing noise, it could be anything from rust on the edges of the discs to the support clip within the brake calipers. You may need to remove the wheel and chock with a support stand and then spin the disc to see if you can faintly here the squeak, may give you a better idea.

Does the squeak happened when on a smooth road or when going over bumps? also coast to see if the noise is still there, when you remove the wheel, have a look at the CV rubber etc... and see if there is any signs of spliting or wear.

BR

Paul

Thanks for the information and the PM.

It's a pulsing squeak as opposed to a constant sound and it's there when coasting, cornering, reversing, smooth or bumpy roads; all at slow speeds. I can't hear any sraping, just squeaking.

If it is the pads, I was going to change the front ones along with the discs anyway, so now could be the time.

I'll take the wheel off and have a proper look.

If it is the pads on the discs, the pulsing would mean that the disc are not smooth so the pads are catching on certain areas but not others, when you brake, apply the brakes only slightly and feel if the car is slowing smoothly or not.

Claire may be right. If it gets worse when swinging the steering from side to side, it is the bearing. Happened on mine.

The bearings are massive and look like they come off a DC10. And they cost as much.

I don't own a lexus, just browsing the forums as i'm after a gs300 sport, but i recently had a squeeking noise on my Prelude 2.2 vtec, ruddy awful noise, it went away when braking, but came back when you took your foot off the brake, so i took the pads off, noticed brake dust sitting on the pads, so had a closer inspection, and the pad braking surface had come away from the backing plate, because it was moving against the disc quite rapidly, it made a squeeking noise.

These were a new set of pads on the front and 3 out of the 4 had come away on one side, so returned them to the shop and got a new set, been fine since, could be that i overcooked them, still not sure why it did it, and i'm not sure if this will apply to you, but the symptoms sounded similar. Good luck finding the problem, and i hope it doesn't cost to much to fix

I had a squeaky front end. It wasn't the brakes, Wheel bearings or Wheels. It was this. http://www.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/Misc/Dcp_2808

I imagine you would be able to get a replacement poly bush for this instead of replacing the whole arm which im sure would be expensive. I was lucky. I found a late MK1 breaking for spares.

Word of warning. You have to lower the front subframe to replace it.

Good luck. :D

Have you had any luck sorting this problem, I thought it might have been the brake pads, since you said it goes away when breaking, as that was the same symptoms mine had, used to squeek all the time when the brakes weren't applied, after 40 or so it went away due to road noise drowning it out

Have you had any luck sorting this problem, I thought it might have been the brake pads, since you said it goes away when breaking, as that was the same symptoms mine had, used to squeek all the time when the brakes weren't applied, after 40 or so it went away due to road noise drowning it out

I haven't had chance to get the wheel off yet, but it's as you describe.

It's driving me nuts, so the sooner I take a look the better.

Had similar squeek except it didn't stop when braking so might not be your problem and it was on an IS. It was the seal on the hub catching as the wheel turned. Dealer replaced hub for free cause it was a faulty part they had only just replaced.

An update: I've noticed my noise only seems to happen once the brakes have been used a few times from cold.

I took the wheel off last night for an initial inspection. I couldn't see anything odd and the noise wasn't there when you turned the hub while jacked up.

The brake pad is no where near worn.

My Dad used a screwdriver to skim the inner and outer edges of the break disc and the squeaking has lessened.

We're going to have another look on Friday and take the caliper off this time and give everything a good clean.

Hopefully servicing the brakes will resolve it. I'm glad it doesn't appear to be anything more complex or expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the caliper off and gave everything a good clean and copper greased the back of the pads and there is still some squeaking, but it's not as bad as before.

There is plenty of pad left.

I guess I'll have to live with it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links