Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

My Is200 Broke Down

javadude

It was very embarassing but my Lexus actually broke down in a drive-in McDonalds. :blush: It lost almost all power and all I could do was pull forward a metre or so before it would die completely. Starting it over and over again I managed to get out to the carpark but couldn't get into a space because there was a slight incline until someone helped me push it.

I figured as restarting the engine wasn't clearing what-ever problem there was perhaps resetting the ECU would so I pulled the EFI and ECTS fuses for a few seconds and that sorted it. It's been fine since and that was nearly a week ago.

Lexus could find nothing wrong with it.

I'd been crawling along in a traffic jam on the M4 for 2 hours then blasted it once got to a clear patch so dunno if that was something to do with it.

Anyone else had anything like this? :unsure:

Managed to loose the fuse tool in the bottom of the engine bay too. :duh: bamboo cane and blue tac sorted that out though.

It was very embarassing but my Lexus actually broke down in a drive-in McDonalds. :blush: It lost almost all power and all I could do was pull forward a metre or so before it would die completely. Starting it over and over again I managed to get out to the carpark but couldn't get into a space because there was a slight incline until someone helped me push it.

I figured as restarting the engine wasn't clearing what-ever problem there was perhaps resetting the ECU would so I pulled the EFI and ECTS fuses for a few seconds and that sorted it. It's been fine since and that was nearly a week ago.

Lexus could find nothing wrong with it.

I'd been crawling along in a traffic jam on the M4 for 2 hours then blasted it once got to a clear patch so dunno if that was something to do with it.

Anyone else had anything like this? :unsure:

Managed to loose the fuse tool in the bottom of the engine bay too. :duh: bamboo cane and blue tac sorted that out though.

Did you have any check engine lights?

Surely Lexus can recreate the conditions under which the engine light came on, and then do the diagnostics?

I have a factory repair manual for my LS and it has a whole section on how to simulate test conditions on the car to show up problems that the customer has been having but is not appearing the moment the car is brought to the dealer.

Surely Lexus can recreate the conditions under which the engine light came on, and then do the diagnostics?

That's not as easy as it sounds. If the car has been running for a week it has probably been in those conditions again. May just be a freak software glitch?

Can you not do a diagnostics check on the engine?

Unfortunately my fix of resetting the ECU wiped the fault code log.

i'm pretty sure you can still get at the codes until reset by an OBD2 reader, i'm almost 100% sure that i've reset error codes (by pulling fuses) and TDi have still been able to look at them using their reader

i'm pretty sure you can still get at the codes until reset by an OBD2 reader, i'm almost 100% sure that i've reset error codes (by pulling fuses) and TDi have still been able to look at them using their reader

Pulling the correct fuses (or disconnecting the battery) will erase the error codes. If you don't have an OBDII tool the fuse removal method is the documented way to reset the ECU and any errors stored. Clearly if the fault remains it will instantly be stored again.

the problem was the cat overheating..........

had it on mine, nothing special, nothing serious

I guess pushing it to one side and pulling the fuses gave it enough time to cool? I only drove it for another couple of minutes before I was home then so it got to cool good and proper after that.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links