Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lexus Tyres

nottonto

Hi everyone

I've just bought a tyre off eBay but when I tried to get it fitted I was told I shouldn't fit it because it wasn't a Lexus tyre. :o ,I was told only Dunlops made in Japan are legal :huh: Is this true or have I received a liberal amount of Bull ****? :crybaby: The tyre I eventually had fitted by someone else was a Michelin,correct size etc. so it should be ok.

thanks for any responce............nottonto

Sounds like bollocks, did it have the E mark? If not then it would be illegal, but if it had the E mark I think it would be legal?

The Dunlops made in Japan are the Lexus specific models with the rim protector, the one's in Germany are the standard tyres without the rim protector I think? In either case only the Jap one is Lex specific, but I'm sure there are people on here with the standard ones?

There's an article in the knowledge base about it somewhere.

There is a Lexus OEM SP9000 tyre that is made in Japan and there are also the standard SP9000s made in Germany. Both can have rim protectors. There is a difference in the construction of the tyre for the OEM one to better suit the vehicle but either tyre can be used. OEM ones are normally about £10 more expensive.

Lexus don't fit the SP9000 to the IS anymore they use Bridgestone RE040s. I don't really rate either of them but the Bridgestones seem to have the edge, certainly seem to produce less noise.

Hi everyone

I've just bought a tyre off Ebay but when I tried to get it fitted I was told I shouldn't fit it because it wasn't a Lexus tyre. :o ,I was told only Dunlops made in Japan are legal :huh: Is this true or have I received a liberal amount of Bull ****? :crybaby: The tyre I eventually had fitted by someone else was a Michelin,correct size etc. so it should be ok.

There is no legal req. for the make of tyre, so long as the CE mark is imprinted.

As far as the police are concerned, so long as the tyre has the sufficient tread depth around at least 3 1/4 of the tyre, it's legal.

Don't forget to post your legal advice questions in the new "Legal Advice Forum"

The link can be found in the signature.

Regards,

This article says: "Look out for the 'E' mark on the sidewall of the tyre which proves that it meets European standards for quality and safety (all new tyres must legally have the 'E')", and gives a brief description of legal tyres.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone

I've just bought a tyre off Ebay but when I tried to get it fitted I was told I shouldn't fit it because it wasn't a Lexus tyre.  :o ,I was told only Dunlops made in Japan are legal  :huh:  Is this true or have I received a liberal amount of Bull ****? :crybaby: The tyre I eventually had fitted by someone else was a Michelin,correct size etc. so it should be ok.

Loads of Bull, I have had to have 2 new tyres, and have had Michelin fitted, it came with bridgestone tyres (bought the car second hand - 6 month old) and no problems

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links