Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speed Cameras

gds

hello those with speeding points on their license and all who have not been caught.

have you any experience using particular detectors with or withouy gps, if so do you have a recommendatuon.

today i went into a local Halfords which had a bewildering display of different types and prices. :unsure: gds

hello those with speeding points on their license and all who have not been caught.

have you any experience using particular detectors with or withouy gps, if so do you have a recommendatuon.

today i went into a local halfords which had a bewildering display of different types and prices. :unsure:  gds

yes i have got some of those lovely points and i would not got to Halfords as you pay well over the odds!!!!

Features in order of priority :

1. GPS

2. Laser detector

3. Radar detector.

GPS will detect fixed and most known temporary detector locations irrespective of type.

Laser detector may give warning of a portable roadside unit .

Radar detector will warn of gatso's, old radar roadside units (if there are any still in operation) and most supermarkets and service stations :)

Origin B2 and Road Angel II have 1 & 2 and are recommended (RA2 is better quality IMO although I may be biased as my B2 didn't work and went back for refund).

Be aware also that a draft parliamentary bill is in the works which will probably ban Radar & Laser detectors but likely leave GPS units legal. RA advise that if Laser is made illegal their units can be modified to disable the Laser. With B2 you would have to just disconnect the (seperate) laser unit. The bill could go through as early as May but seems more likely to be sometime 2006.

Realy can not see the point in spending £300 on a gps detector when they are loads of sat nav systems that do the same thing and you get the sat nav as well .my advice would be buy a sat nav system such as the medion or the tom tom and purchase the poi overlay that gives you all the camera postions all for around the same price

just curious been looking at the B2 solo today (yes I know I should be working) and have been offered £65 trade in on my whistler. Just wounderd is it worth paying to have it fitted as I am not the most adept at fitting things myself. Do you guys no what is the main difference between RA2 and the B2 as i have seen the RA2 in action and was impressed.

Do you guys no what is the main difference between RA2 and the B2 as i have seen the RA2 in action and was impressed.

think the major difference is that the RA2 includes a front and rear laser detector, which the B2 does not.

But - I think they are about as useful as a chocolate teapotd

Other than that - I think they are pretty much the same.

Both are GPS databases of known speed camera locations.

Both can be easily updated over the internet for new / changed cameras.

For what its worth - I have a RA2, and think its a smashing little unit.

Bluetooth_Install_017.sized.jpg

think the major difference is that the RA2 includes a front and rear laser detector, which the B2 does not.

yes it does :whistling:

as said is pretty useless though

yep i agree mine has been up and running for about two years and the detector bit for the radar has never been triggered although i have gone through loads of mobile traps

Realy can not see the point in spending £300 on a gps detector when they are loads of sat nav systems that do the same thing and you get the sat nav as well .my advice would be buy a sat nav system such as the medion or the tom tom and purchase the poi overlay that gives you all the camera postions all for around the same price

i agree - just wish there was something available from lexus to upgrade their satnav to identify camera locations...i would of had that instead of something separate - never mind eh? ;)

Just a word of warning.

My best mate is a traffic cop and he's always getting people with the handheld laser, not the radar. He's nicked lots of people with £500 radar detectors fitted to their cars, in shock.He only needs a second to lock on to them and can do it from about a mile away.(Would u spot a Rozzer on a bridge at that distance?) and if you could would you get below the limit in a second?

I've got an LS400 but ride my Honda Fireblade for proper speed kicks and i'm sh : :tsktsk: t scared of them handheld laser guns. Forget about the laser blockers as well as the clued up traffic cops know what the error codes mean and if they find a laser jammer fitted to your car (probably near the number plate) you're well in the sh :tsktsk: t. The detectors are handy for cameras but just remember they've got sneakier ways of getting us.

Yeah sure mate. I'm just letting people know even if you spend shed loads of cash they can still 'ave ya. There's always unmarked cars and bikes as well. I wasn't aware how :tsktsk: 'kin sneaky they were before my mate was a traffic cop. How many times have we had a little race for a bit of fun and then thought " sh :tsktsk: t, what if he was a Rozzer" (I never have though) :blush:

Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get me :ph34r:

Why does evreyman need speed camera detectors? does everybody drive like schumacher all day, yeah i drive fast sometimes on a motorway or empty dual carr. but i know where cameras are! the are suggested on the road............not gonna pay £600 for something to let me know when cool down :driving:

Why does evreyman need speed camera detectors? does everybody drive like schumacher all day, yeah i drive fast sometimes on a motorway or empty dual carr. but i know where cameras are! the are suggested on the road............not gonna pay £600 for something to let me know when cool down :driving:

Yes I am afraid they do, my wife got a fine and 3 points for 33 in a 30, how pathetic is that, lets face it do we need speed cameras everywere? the motorist has to have some protection, and the RA2 also covers blackspots and schools areas as well as a constant update on speed, we dont all drive with our eyes constantly on the speedo do we? arent we meant to keep them on the road.......

If anything you have picked up on, its a reason to drive like a mad man which could not be further from the truth...

Just people trying to be careful thats all.

Yes I am afraid they do, my wife got a fine and 3 points for 33 in a 30, how pathetic is that, lets face it do we need speed cameras everywere? the motorist has to have some protection, and the RA2 also covers blackspots and schools areas as well as a constant update on speed, we dont all drive with our eyes constantly on the speedo do we? arent we meant to keep them on the road.......

If anything you have picked up on, its a reason to drive like a mad man which could not be further from the truth...

Just people trying to be careful thats all.

agreed ,and also its very well knowing were the cameras are if you drive the same route every day but if you drive for a living you have to go places you do not know ,and what with looking were you are going whilst trying to find a place you dont know it is very easy to stray over the limit and get yourself done ,so the speed detector offers that piece of mind.and they dont cost anywere near £600 :crying:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links