Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Doctor Who

For those who know their news groups, just look in alt.binaries.drwho - it'll be in there, the first new episode got leaked in there a long time ago.

alwayts have been a bit of  a GEEK aint you Barrie

A GEEK: is someone who behaves bizarrely to attract atention. The etymology is important in this case - the word originated about 1870, and meant originally a circus or carnival side-show performer who made his (almost never her) living doing bizarre things like biting the head off a live chicken (that's ALWAYS the example quoted - would YOU pay to see someone do that? Were people so bored back then?) What interests me most is that supposedly these people were usually performers who had started out with something more respectable, like a trapeze act, and then succumbed to alcoholism, and were reduced to their geek act because it was all they were capable of. So a geek was pathetic, perhaps a bit tragic. And there was seldom room for more than one such act in a sideshow, so one was THE geek, and if there was competition for the title, you probably had to prove you were more of a geek than the other guy. Like - "Oh, you can bite the head off a live chicken, HAH! I can bite the head off a poisonous snake!" "Oh yeah? Well I can...."

Today the term GEEK implies distasteful, unsocial behavior. Someone who picks his nose in public is rightfully called a geek. Someone who laughs too loud and long and inappropriately might be a geek. Someone with a trail of toilet paper from the sole of her shoe is probably NOT a real geek, but could be described as having done something geeky. The key element is intent, or at least the impression that the behavior is consciously chosen. Some homeless guy who stinks and talks funny and accosts you on the street is not a geek. A guy who talks with a phony Australian accent and tries to sell you a home surgery kit on a TV infomercial is. One body piercing or tattoo (however unfortunately placed) does not make a geek. Twenty, probably. A hundred, for sure.

Intent, and the desire for attention are the key elements here - Grandma Mary, who is 97 and can't control her body any more and farts a lot, is not a geek. Cousin Earl, 37, who farts and then laughs as if he's made a fine joke, IS a geek, unless he's an idiot. So intelligence is a factor too - a geek is smart enough to know better, but too desperate (or clueless) to stop.

could be right :P

I actually thought it was pretty good- okay the ending was a little too cheesy, and they did do the 'predictable' female empowerment...

But all in all, amusing sci-fi and if anything, just as tongue in cheek as the old ones... but better...

Well i thought it was very good, no better, no worse than the original, watching it as a kid in the early 70's, seem like a continuation of the early stuff, i'll shall make a point of watching it in the future, and Billie adds a touch of glamour like all the past assistants :winky: .

Come on guys you must of loved the man eating wheelie bin ....classic :D :D B)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links