Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Personalised Number

Bazza

how does one transfer a personalised reg number ?

need to keep my number

as car is sold,

have looked on dvla website, but cant see any relevant answers

and the one number to phone, is either engaged or two hour wait :angry:

will need to put it on new car but i havent got it yet ;)

need to do quickly

if you have all the documents for both cars you can just take them to your local DVLA cherished transfers counter and pay the £80,

if not

then you'll have to put your reg on retention until you have the docs for your new car,

yup, same as above... i put mine on retention last year and it cost £105.

£80 for the reassignment fee when i put it onto a new car.

and

£25 for administration costs! (that bit is the bump)

a quick thought...

they will need to take your log book away when they assign you with a new number plate, which means selling your car might be a pain!? Cos you'll have to wait for the new one to come through, so that you can hand over the Transfer of Vehicle docs to the new owner.

Otherwise, as far as i know, if you sell your car, but dont transfer the documents, that any new Speeding Tickets, Car Fines or such like, will be down to you to pay!

Just a thought ?! :blink:

wat u gettin Baz ?

looking at various at the moment, a bit undecisive

but it may well be an astra :blush:

What brought this on so soon Barry? I thought that you were going to hold off until youd chosen something else? :unsure:

no worries just yet, the lex is still staying .......for a while :whistling:

this is my other car, i use for work, had an unexpected offer on it which i couldnt refuse :winky:

a quick thought...

they will need to take your log book away when they assign you with a new number plate, which means selling your car might be a pain!? Cos you'll have to wait for the new one to come through, so that you can hand over the Transfer of Vehicle docs to the new owner.

Otherwise, as far as i know, if you sell your car, but dont transfer the documents, that any new Speeding Tickets, Car Fines or such like, will be down to you to pay!

fear this is going to get complicated :crying:

a quick thought...

fear this is going to get complicated :crying:

i'm not sure if what i'm saying is correct though, so dont be too disheartened by your quick sale attempts...

Having been in the same boat myself recently i can confidently say you will not be able to sell your motor until the new plate as been assigned to it. This could take a couple of weeks. The only other option is to sell the car with the private plate on as i did in the end.

It isn't complicated it's just options.

1/ If you do not already have the new vehicle to put the cherished No. on then to keep it you MUST put it on to a retention certificate. cost £105( as already stated)

this will then give your existing car a new No. and new V5 so you can then sell it on.

2/ Sell the car with the plate on.

3/ Get your new car first put the plate on then sell your existing car.

By far the easiest way (If the cherished No. is important to you) Is put the plate on retention. There is no confusion to the buyer of your car that the plate is included in the sale.

4/ If it is on retention then it won't cost you any money to put it on your next car because the £105 covers that. (Providing it is within 12 months)

5/ Retention certificates have to be renewed every year if they are NOT on a vehicle.(£25)

fear this is going to get complicated  :crying:

Barry, when I sold my GS, it still had my private plate on it. I was advised by the DVLA that there was no way of transferring a number plate and also changing the registered keeper in one transaction.

What the DVLA advised me to do, was to speak to the guy who bought the car and tell him that I would sort out the change of registered keeper after the new V5 had been sent to me. He had already seen the old V5 when he agreed to buy the car so he knew it was pucka.

The only thing to be aware of if you do this that you could end up with someone elses speeding/parking tickets as you are still the registered keeper in the interim period, but as long as you get a decent receipt for the car you can prove that you weren't the driver, so should be able to resolve the situation if it arises.

It's not an ideal situation, but its probably the only way around it if you need to sell the car straight away, and also keep the plate. You can usually get a new tax disc and a stamp with the new number plate on the same day at the DVLA, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue for the purchaser as the V5 is not a proof of vehicle ownership anyway.

This situation is slightly different if the car has only ever had cherished plates on it from new... If this is the case you had better speak to Zee - he's just been through this. :unsure:

I left the plate on my old car and then met up with the new owner at the dvla office and swapped it straight onto my new car ,was cheaper and a lot less hassle ,of cause you have to be able to trust the new owner but if you sign something to state that you still own the plate and it is to be transfered onto your new car at a later date there should be no problems .

knew it would get complicated :crying:

the car is sold, although still in my possesion

the reg was not wanted as it relates to my work

i have yet to find another car as it was only sold this morning

the buyer is willing to wait for the transfer, but i really need to know how long it will take, dont want to upset him as he has been as good as gold so far :)

can it be put on retention at the local dvla centre ?

and will they re assign a new number at the same time ??

i am sure it will all work out cool in the end

its just like panic stations at the moment :lol:

Yes, they can usually put your private plate on retention and assign a new one on the same day. You might need to leave it with them for a couple of days if they are busy, but that would be the longest I would have thought. The longest I have ever had to wait was 2 days, the quickest about 2 hours (you can call back later to pick it up usually, you don't have to sit in the waiting room!).

As I said before, if the car has never had a standard (non-cherished) plate, they can't do it there and then, and in that situation it can take about a fortnight.

I would say that as long as your car has had a standard plate on it at some point in its history, the only issue you will have to worry about is getting the new keeper's details on the V5, as you will have to wait until the V5 with the new number is sent to you, then fill in the change of owner stuff, then send it back to Swansea again so that the new owner gets the V5.... :yawn:

I think that I have made that sound more complicated than it is :blush:

Yes, they can usually put your private plate on retention and assign a new one on the same day. You might need to leave it with them for a couple of days if they are busy, but that would be the longest I would have thought. The longest I have ever had to wait was 2 days, the quickest about 2 hours (you can call back later to pick it up usually, you don't have to sit in the waiting room!).

As I said before, if the car has never had a standard (non-cherished) plate, they can't do it there and then, and in that situation it can take about a fortnight.

I would say that as long as your car has had a standard plate on it at some point in its history, the only issue you will have to worry about is getting the new keeper's details on the V5, as you will have to wait until the V5 with the new number is sent to you, then fill in the change of owner stuff, then send it back to Swansea again so that the new owner gets the V5.... :yawn:

I think that I have made that sound more complicated than it is :blush:

that seems to make it clearer

looks like i will have to go and stand in that queue for a while ;)

cheers nick, youve put my mind at rest :D

looks like i will have to go and stand in that queue for a while  ;)

If your DVLA local office is anything like mine, your best bet is to get there 15 minutes before it opens so that your one of the first in the queue. I think that they all open at 9 o'clock.

Which is your nearest one? Reading? The full list is here if you don't know where it is.

looks like i will have to go and stand in that queue for a while  ;)

If your DVLA local office is anything like mine, your best bet is to get there 15 minutes before it opens so that your one of the first in the queue. I think that they all open at 9 o'clock.

Which is your nearest one? Reading? The full list is here if you don't know where it is.

wimbledon

or sidcup

experienced them both and they are much the same, ....a nightmare!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links