Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speed Camera Detectors

IS300KK

Hi there

I am seriously considering getting a Road Angel / Origin B2 gizmo, because of a recent breeding program for scameras in my area.

Which one would you go for - they all claim to be the best, but I'd be grateful for comments from people who've bought these things

Cheers

Amanda

i think as long as you go for one that works of GPS they all do the same job.just depends on the features you require.i have the road angel 1 and it has been fine ,i also jave a pocket pc with sat nav and have loaded the speed camera sites onto that and it seems to pick up about 80% of the cameras so not that good realy .i would go for the road angel 2 as i like the look of it

Both devices are perfectly good at telling you where the fixed camers are - they both use GPS to locate the car and an onboard map of all cameras. The databases are normally updated via the net and require a subscription.

There's a Snooper device which does some similar too, and a Geodessey - there's other around aswell.

There are very few good DETECTORS about though (IMO) - and there's a good chance that they will be illegal soon anyways.

Having tried both the Origin Blue device and the Road Angel, I prefer the Road Angel, but I'm sure others will have their own views. I think that product quality is much better in the Road Angel too - I had 4 broken Origin Blue machines before I finally changed to RA.

HTH

Thanks guys, that's helpful.

Do you know of any websites which sell them cheaply? I'd prefer a 'Plug and Play' gizmo so that we can swap it between cars until we buy a second one. Will probably go for the new Road Angel I think. Would like a detector, but looks like these may have had their day now. It's not that I go everywhere at 90mph, but I've had a clean licence for fifteen years and I want to keep it that way! (Also, I think we pay enough tax already to drive cars.............)

All the best

Amanda

Thanks guys, that's helpful.

Do you know of any websites which sell them cheaply? I'd prefer a 'Plug and Play' gizmo so that we can swap it between cars until we buy a second one. Will probably go for the new Road Angel I think. Would like a detector, but looks like these may have had their day now. It's not that I go everywhere at 90mph, but I've had a clean licence for fifteen years and I want to keep it that way! (Also, I think we pay enough tax already to drive cars.............)

All the best

Amanda

Usually loads about on eBay! :D :driving:

One thing to think about though is if the law changes this year as they are planning them actual detectors will no longer be legal. The only legal devices with be GPS systems. So if you have the Origin B2 you can just unplug the radar detector but I am not sure if you can do this with other units.

I have a B2 and am very happy with the unit :)

I have an Origin B2 and have been really pleased with it, although I have never tried anything else.

I have never confirmed whether the lazer detector works though, I've driven past a number of mobile cameras and have never had a response from the unit.

I have both the RA1 and B2 (OK I'm greedy :hehe: ).

RA1 was very good - simple to use and updated via modem (no home PC at the time) - my Dad then wanted one so he has the RA and I got the B2.

B2 much neater to install and like the fact it can be unhooked and hidden easily - had one issue re: slow sat lock but very quickly resolved by origin who sent me a new aerial FOC overnight.

Both work well - at least they have not missed any cameras so far - and can easily have the radar element detached in future.

I understand that some of the motoring organisations will appeal against the proposed Road Safety Act on the basis that radar detectors were declared legal under an appeal that had previously banned them under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949.

The WTA upholds that is is illegal to gain information though tapping into phone lines, radio signals etc. Since radar detectors do not look at "information" contained in electronically transmitted media, but detect a "signal" i.e. yes or no, on or off, the appeal was granted.

In order for detectors to be banned under the proposed RTA, the Government would have to repeal the WTA, which is unlikely.

Don't throw away your detectors just yet.

By the way I use a Valentine-One unit which detects K, Ka, X band radar plus Laser from front, side and rear.

The GPS systems dont fall under this new act, as they are a passive system rather than an active one.

The new road safety act is to 'recievers', whereas the GPS system simply notifies the driver of his location and any 'blackspots' in the vicinity - it does not work via recieving and idenitifying radio signals from speed detection equipment.

The GPS systems dont fall under this new act, as they are a passive system rather than an active one.

The new road safety act is to 'recievers', whereas the GPS system simply notifies the driver of his location and any 'blackspots' in the vicinity - it does not work via recieving and idenitifying radio signals from speed detection equipment.

Non-GPS radar detectors are passive. They do not emit a signal.

yes I know - only jammers are active - but i couldnt think of how else to explain the difference.

Radar detectors detect - GPS (only) systems do not...

You knew what i meant, so stop being so pedantic :P

I might be selling my Road Angel 1 soon - if another ticket drops thru the door in a couple of weeks, that'll be me last set of points before a ban!!! :angry:

So I'm gonna have to drive everywhere at 20mph if it does!! :crying:

Make me an offer if ya like :winky: I'll renew the subs when its year is up aswell.

Matt

Try this site INFO loads of information including latest on proposed legislation. They reckon that won't happen as time will run out before the next election. :D

I got a Snooper S5 and it works, only problem is automatic door openers work on K band so if you go to a retail park it goes bananas. Kind of wish I'd got a Road Angel now as the GPS combined with detector gives fewer false alarms.

Interesting bit about Laser Jammers on this site. Not illegal but they do you for perverting the course of justice.

I might be selling my Road Angel 1 soon - if another ticket drops thru the door in a couple of weeks, that'll be me last set of points before a ban!!! :angry:

Make me an offer if ya like  :winky:  I'll renew the subs when its year is up aswell.

Matt

Why do you keep getting points if you have a Road Angel? Isn't it working? :whistling:

Make me an offer if ya like  :winky:  I'll renew the subs when its year is up aswell.

Matt

Why do you keep getting points if you have a Road Angel? Isn't it working? :whistling:

last weeks autoexpress did a feature on gps camera locators, (they also published their 'driverpower 2005' survey, lexus IS was 5th overall out of 100). anyway, the best recommendation was indeed the road angel (£399.99) followed by talex (£249) followed by micro roadpilot (399.95).

btw, bmw 5 series was 8th, 3 series was 40th, best was honda S2000 (autoexpress issue 851)

Try this site INFO loads of information including latest on proposed legislation. They reckon that won't happen as time will run out before the next election.  :D

I got a Snooper S5 and it works, only problem is automatic door openers work on K band so if you go to a retail park it goes bananas. Kind of wish I'd got a Road Angel now as the GPS combined with detector gives fewer false alarms.

I wouldn't read to much into what is on that site, there are some items which are not quite true (but if I told you I would have to hire a hit man to take you out and then dispose of you ;) :lol: )

IMHO (and through practical knowledge) the majority of laser and radar based detectors are not worth the time, with the laser ones, by the time you get the warning, it is very probably that you are nicked! The radar ones are mainly used only on single carrageway roads (as they can not prove beyond resonable doubt which lane the detection relates to.). Again, there are so many other pieces of street furniture and other equipment using doplar (either continuos, keyed, fixed or modulated) that either you get a shed load of alarms or you will get the alarm once you've been nicked.

IMHO, gps based with a good database is the best way forward... that and constant vigillance. I will stop there as I dont want to tempt fate :)

If anyone wants to test their laser detector in Epsom during office hours let me know ;)

i tested my laser detector by putting two mobile phones together and sending a infared message .works a treat

I would be worried then...

standard IrDA (what you phone may use) wavelength is 875nm

LTI-2020 speed gun wavelength is 905nm

Not only that the location at which the speed gun is aimed is also a factor. Best target is always the licence plate. Hand held you get get this from about 150m or so depending on how steady you hold the gun.

Tripod or van mounted you can easily clock at twice or more this distance.

If your relying on your windscreen as the only location the operator is going to target, then you may be wasting you time.

A good example of something not quite right with the afore mentioned site (if you do the maths....)

lr90a.gif

Depending on the size of the laser cross section at source (and using the published divergence of the beam, 3 milliradians) then the beam width for a given source width will be ver different to what they claim there.....

for a 8mm diamater beam, the size by the time it hits the taget at 500m will be about 68cm, which is VERY different to what they claim in the diagram of about 150cm !

Don't bother with the Origin B2. I'm on my third Origin Blue i, when the display packed up again I ended up fitting my own white-on-blue one, been fine since (cheap parts, see). Also the "finders fee" is a load of crap - I found about a dozen cameras not registered, what's the chances of me being pipped to the post on every single one of them? Quite high it would seem, cos I got naff all out of them!

Now use a speed camera database on the Tom Tom GO. Ought to sell the Blue i really, as it doesn't get used any more.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links