Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

99 Octane Fuel

I pinched this from evo-net.

Tesco are trialling this at 12 garages in the south east:

99 OCTANE STORES:

Beford 1

Cheshunt Extra

Crawley Hazelwick

Gallions Reach Extra

Gillingham Kent

Lakeside Extra

Ramsgate Manston

Salisbury 2

Sandhurst Extra

Sevenoaks Riverhead

Stevenage Extra

Winchester

None round Kingston way - curses!

Anyone nearby wanna try it out???

how much?!

believe its only a penny more

a penny more than normal unleaded or a penny more than 97ron is :duh: because if its a penny dearer than normal unleaded i can smell a price war coming on :D

Filled up last night....with the usual Bp Ultimate, would have gone to Becton if i had read this, will try it next week.......prices must have gone up i put in over £59 :blink: :duh:

On a note of Octane... I was @ GTi International yesterday (yeh i know :blush: ) and there was some chap selling this small inline Fuel Octance booster... which is supposed to increase 95ron fuel to 100ron just by putting this device inline.

Something to do with magnesium and Tin? Tin apparantly increased octane in the fuel... Comany is called - Formula Power. They advertise in Banzai and costs £75...

He said he will be @ JAE... they sell for £50 @ shows

hmmmmmmmm :unsure:

i always thought that the octane number was to do with the amount of carbon molecule chains in the fuel would be interested to know how that works sounds like a catalyst of some sort, doesn't Mr Morse do stuff with oil companies he'll know

:)

i always thought that the octane number was to do with the amount of carbon molecule chains in the fuel would be interested to know how that works sounds like a catalyst of some sort, doesn't Mr Morse do stuff with oil companies he'll know

:)

I work upstream oil & gas - on the drilling side. THOX is the man to comment on this one :P

On a note of Octane... I was @ GTi International yesterday (yeh i know  :blush: ) and there was some chap selling this small inline Fuel Octance booster... which is supposed to increase 95ron fuel to 100ron just by putting this device inline.

Something to do with magnesium and Tin? Tin apparantly increased octane in the fuel... Comany is called - Formula Power. They advertise in Banzai and costs £75...

He said he will be @ JAE... they sell for £50 @ shows

hmmmmmmmm  :unsure:

i smell mmm......... what is it.... oh yes ... shi.........!

The octane number measured is not an absolute number but rather a relative value based on accepted standards. By definition, n-heptane has an octane number (RON and MON) of 0, while iso-octane (2,2,4-trimethyl pentane) is 100. Linear combinations of these two components are used to measure the octane number of a particular fuel. A 90%/10% blend of iso-octane/n-heptane has an octane value of 90. Any fuel knocking at the same compression ratio as this mixture is said to have an octane number of 90.

nope its the mix according to this, still want to know how its supposed to work

Well i filled up with it today at 85.9 pl..........got to be worth a try as its only 1p more than reg ul.

I'll let you all know if anything feels better worse, and how far i get on a tank.

just throw it in the diesel van after the water drain, someone i know got  done for carrying jerry cans of the stuff out of work! :blink:

ah the old 50/50 mix of avtur and diesel its the plumes of white smoke that give it away

• 2 weeks later...

the additives like will probably work to fool the knock sensors into beliveing the fuel has a high octane value - there's very few fuel additives out there that actually boost the true octane value

• 2 weeks later...
still want to know how its supposed to work

I just PM'd THOX with a request for some technical input :question:

Sorry to take so long in replying, have been travelling and the IT facilities have been patchy. I replied to Mr Morse, here is most of that reply.

There are two octane numbers RON and MON.

The RON of Optimax is 98 and the RON of normal mogas is 95.

There is then MON which for Optimax is 86 and normal mogas 85.

The octane is a measure of how efficent the burning is in the engine. A high octane fuel will completely combust at the same time as the spark plug activates. This gives maximum force on the piston forcing it down. A low octane fuel will burn before the spark plug ignites (this can lead to back firing) or will combust for a short time after the spark plug activates meaning that the piston is not pushed down with maximum force and a loss of power.

RON is measured by the engine at high revs and is generally a measure of how well the fuel helps the engine accelerate. MON is measured at more steady revs and is a measure of how well the fuel helps the engine cruise.

Optimax will give more efficent combustion untilising more of the power of the fuel in making the car go.

As for mixing 98 and 95 RON fules a 50/50 mix 98 and 95 gives 96.6 so it is not quite linear.

I hope this helps

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links