Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

What To Do In Venice

Damer

Off to Venice tomorrow for a week with the family :D

Weather forecast is for rain :angry:

Any recomendations about what to do with 2 bored girls (3 & 7)???

Went in Novemeber - luckily we had sunshine all week.

Take a trip to the other islands - Murano and Burano - go by regular ferry round by the hospital side - goes past the cemetary island which is a strange place ...

Also do a lagoon tour - goes past some well posh places and is amazing if you get a cruise liner go past - seems totally out of proportion to the surroundings.

Then get up early go across St Marks square and across the wooden bridge to the school / university side and see regular Venetians going about normal life - makes you glad to be on hols and will make the kids appreciate being off school !!

If it rains and the tides up take your wellies - we went a few years back and they had all the benches out in the square !!

Can't remember the resturant name now - Carletto I think between Bridge of Sighs and Rialto Bridge - the name of the "path" escapes me now ...

An evening walk along Rialto etc is good too - shops look great all lit up.

Dogues Palace has 2 tours - not been but go on the longer one - you see much more appartently.

Oh - and go round to the Admiralty area too - there is supposed to be a good museum there too.

Apologies for the long mail - got me on a roll now - one of my favourite places ... :D

Thanks welcome the input. Never been to Italy before so all new to me. Actually staying on a campsite on the Lido, we can apparently get a waterbus from the beach into Venice proper.

In that case add taking a regular water taxi along Grand Cnal up to the main train station and back - cheap trip and amazing sight - esp the water ambulances and fire engines.

NEARLY packed, wife and kids keep adding stuff, plus I bought new speakers for iPod shuffle :whistling:

Will let you know how I get on, especially with Italian hire car!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm back.

Picked up a hire car, a diesel Fiat Punto. Aweful, only drove it to & from the site and airport, made me appreciate my IS when I got home, come to think of it my wifes Megane was 100 times better than the Fiat!

Venice beautiful city, however NOT the place to take 2 small ones, who get bored very easily and tired wandering around.

However the camp site we stayed at was fantastic and comes highly recomended for those of you with kids, and are happy just playing on the beach/sitting by the pool. Great for those of us near Manchester and able to take advantage of Jet2.com cheap flights!

Been twice - summer and winter - only ever had one faint smell in a real dead-end section.

Brilliant place - agree not the place for young ones though - too boring and too easy to fall in !!

Let us know where you went / saw / did - I want to go back again now !!

Been twice - summer and winter - only ever had one faint smell in a real dead-end section.

Brilliant place - agree not the place for young ones though - too boring and too easy to fall in !!

Let us know where you went / saw / did - I want to go back again now !!

All we did was get boat from Punto Sabioni, wandered about a bit, had lunch walked back to the boat. Kids were tired bored and grumpy.

Will try & go back in August and do the No1 Waterbus.

Stayed at campsite at Ca' Savio was excellent, if you have kids.

• 2 weeks later...

just come back from venice.. me and the missus have motion sickness from spending alot of time on the boats... everything seems as if its floating on water.... not nice feeling

Venice did not smell that much.. some side streets were a tad smelly

great place though.. very busy and very hot!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links