Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Malfuntion Indicator Lamp

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

K&N filters come pre-oiled when new and are oiled correctly so there is not excess. It's only when they are oiled incorrectly that the MAF sensor gets covered in oil.

If the oil on your MAF has come from the filter then it will probably happen again unless the filter is cleaned and oiled correctly.

Colin,

So you reckon that the light is not because of it being over oiled ?

What would you suggest mate?

Ahmet.....did you oil the K&N yourself?

If its new then i suspect oil has been getting to your MAF sensor before fitting the k&n. ;)

I didn't oil the filter my self no ........

But this morning , I took off the MAF sensor .... and it was covered in oil!

?

Im sure it will all be fine once its cleaned.

Well ........ 15 miles done ......... so far so good ! I'll clean it again soon ......... untill most of the excess oil is off the filter ! :D

K&N filters come pre-oiled when new and are oiled correctly so there is not excess. It's only when they are oiled incorrectly that the MAF sensor gets covered in oil.

If the oil on your MAF has come from the filter then it will probably happen again unless the filter is cleaned and oiled correctly.

Colin,

So you reckon that the light is not because of it being over oiled ?

What would you suggest mate?

I would say 99% it is caused by the oil. What I am saying is a new filter shouldn't be covered in oil, it will be basically dry to the touch. Most people over oil the filter.

You shouldn't just be cleaning the MAF sensor every few days because it gets covered in oil you should be removing your filter until you clean and oil it correctly. With the MAF sensor covered in oil you are running the risk of running the engine with incorrect fueling before the MIL comes on.

im curious scarface ... did u put additional oil on it straight from the factory? As colin mentioned, the mushroom filter itself is ready to install straight out of the plastic bag. It should be relatively dry to the touch ....

When u say ur sensor is covered in oil .. thats kinda scary, cos thats definitely not good for ur car, and that also means ur tubing would already be lined with oil.

im curious scarface ... did u put additional oil on it straight from the factory?  As colin mentioned, the mushroom filter itself is ready to install straight out of the plastic bag.  It should be relatively dry to the touch ....

When u say ur sensor is covered in oil .. thats kinda scary, cos thats definitely not good for ur car, and that also means ur tubing would already be lined with oil.

No ...... I did NOT oil the filter at all ......... straight out of the box, and onto the pipe.

The MAF sensor was dirty with oil ...........

I have now done about 25 miles with the cleaned MAF sensor ....... and I checked it just now, no trace of any oil .........

The actual filter wasn't the dryest ........ you could see the oil !

The actual filter wasn't the dryest ........ you could see the oil !

You could try "blotting" the filter with some absorbent paper towel to remove any excess.

I've run a K&N on my 300 for about 7k with no problems.

Update,

Since I have cleaned the MAF sensor from all that dirt ................

I have now done 125 miles, and it's fine !!

I was checking the sensor every day, for any dirt or oil ......... nothing at all.

So, I think that was the problem .......... thatnks for al the help guys !!

Rob, thanks again for that link !! :D

ok .............. after 195 miles.

The light has come back on ............ the thing is, the MAF sensor this time is NOT dirty !!!!!!

What could it be .................. ? :crybaby:

What are you using to clean the sensor with? I would have thought something like the solvent spray you use to clean PC boards would be suitable.

Must be driving you crazy! :crybaby:

I was just wiping it down with some tissue .................

I'm screwing now ...... coz I have no idea what it is .

Reading on .net it could be ...... an air leak ....... vacum leak ? . ........ or possibly even, not having a heat shield !! ..........

Might just put the OEM one back on ... and sell this one ...... it's giving me nothing but problems ! :crybaby:

Don't give up fella!

This is not rocket science - I'm pretty green to motor mechanics and if a novice like me can fit a Typhoon I'm sure anyone can.

Why not try dismantling the Typhoon and re-installing it per the instructions :question: Maybe you missed something first time round.

But what I still don't understand is why your MAF sensor was dirty in the first place? Something fundamentally wrong here.

disconnect the battery and reset the system, then see what happens

Well, yes - I can reset the ECU - but that then defeats the object ?

I really need to know what the ecu is saying ......... read the codes !!

TDI is closed now ........ so I can't even pop into Mark's !!

:tomato:

i know when i fitted my s/c i had the lights come on a few times, but all i did was keep reseting the sytem and its been fine ever since  ;)

what other lights did you have come on mate ?

:tomato:

i know when i fitted my s/c i had the lights come on a few times, but all i did was keep reseting the sytem and its been fine ever since  ;)

what other lights did you have come on mate ?

the engine check light and the trc light, there was a post on the problems i was having but i think its lost

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links