Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Manual Shifting Automatic ?

Is it OK to say pull the stick into 2 on the autobox and use all power ?...at say 30 or 40 mph ?...then upshift with the stick into 3 ?....I cannot find anything about this in the owners manual....it states you can use it to slow the car....so I presume you can use it to accelerate the car...anyone know? :driving:

I tried it in my Auto IS, if anything changing gears in this way is alot slower than letting the auto box change it for you.

but if you wanted to hit the rev limiter, then thats a sure fire way to go about it.

I use my shifter for engine braking very often, and should I require some instant accelaration I use the shifter to hold third gear. At 50mph and sudden full throttle my face goes taut and I look 40 years younger. Try it sometime cos it really is fun. :driving:

Yes dhs....i use that often too...seems kinder to the transmission than kickdown...but I have also changed to 2 with the stick and it gets the revs up ready for say a really quick overtake then back the throttle off and then change to 3...goes like a rocket but dont wanna damage anything on my baby !.... :unsure:

also i use it to use it as an engine brake to slow the car down but never to accelerate. after i'm stationair i push it back in d (drive).

this is one very anoying thing about the cruise control. :crybaby: if you go down hill it doesn't brake!!! even my truck is doning it and uses the (air)engine brake to keep those tonnes on the correct speed!!! :whistling:

why are people so interested in engine braking? You have brakes on the car - push the pedal down - and the car stops.

You guys are increasing the wear on your engines, to save some wear on pads?

Pads are like £40 (?) to replace? cheaper than engines

sorry but engine braking isn't wearing your engine if you do it correctly (not putting it in 2 when driving 70mp) and keeps it your mpg down as the emu cuts the fuel... and no i'm not saving on pads ...

To slow down, say on a hill,I turn the overdrive off.

Umm, how do you do this on a GS ?, and how do I actually know if it's on? more to the point what does overdrive actually do?

The Overdrive button on my mk1 is on the side of the gear selector,press the button in and a O/D off light on the dash will light up to warn you.

Say you were towing a trailer or caravan,your better off selecting a lower gear travelling down hill and use engine braking than to rely on just your brakes as they will cook up quicker with the extra weight of the caravan/trailer.

Some autoboxs do downshift under no throttle input to give engine braking.

Cheers chips.

For a quick overtake I put the stick in 2 then clog it, when half way past

what you are overtaking knock it back to 'D' ......works for me....scares the Mrs. :winky:

Umm, how do you do this on a GS ?, and how do I actually know if it's on? more to the point what does overdrive actually do?

Mk.1 has 3 speed + overdrive.

Mk.2 has 5 speed box, no overdrive.

Don't know the difference between an overdrive and a 4th gear, though. Anyone?

40 mph in second gear seems a bit tame. These cars will easily rev to 6k and I think 2nd equates to about 80mph. Or am I going barmy?

Anyway. Use your engine to brake if you want to but whatever you think, you are causing more wear to your engine, not only that but to your transmission too.

Think about it. How can your enjine slow your car if it is not converting your speed (kinetic energy) into something else. IE Heat, Noise, whatever.

I say let your brakes do the braking and keep your engine for driving (or doing 80 in second perhaps) LOL

Nick

ROXT....yes thats what I have done....down to 2 with the stick and floor it...it dun half go !....but does anyone know if its OK to do it ...what i mean is ...is it designed to be operated like this...or are you asking for trouble ?...Does anyone really know ? :yawn:

40 mph in second gear seems a bit tame. These cars will easily rev to 6k and I think 2nd equates to about 80mph. Or am I going barmy?

Anyway. Use your engine to brake if you want to but whatever you think, you are causing more wear to your engine, not only that but to your transmission too.

Think about it. How can your enjine slow your car if it is not converting your speed (kinetic energy) into something else. IE Heat, Noise, whatever.

I say let your brakes do the braking and keep your engine for driving (or doing 80 in second perhaps) LOL

Nick

Of course it's all right to drop down a gear or two. They're just GEARS, like a manual! And, YES, the LS400 WILL get to about 85 in second....there's a lovely long stretch of no-junctions/cameras/sideturnings on my way home where you COULD test this out, if you wanted to do so! My BMW 850 got to 110 mph here...and, guess what??? So can an LS! (NO!! NOT in 2nd!, but with 'Power' biutton on and foot flat! Freaks the Beemers out! :geek:

Just tried it in my GS300 - 85mph in second :whistling: :winky:

My BMW 850 got to 110 mph here...and, guess what??? So can an LS! (NO!! NOT in 2nd!, but with 'Power' biutton on and foot flat! Freaks the Beemers out!

Hey Chris

I've had a couple of 750's (same lovely sweet V12 as your 850). Despite being about 2.25 tonnes I reckon they would leave an LS400 for dead from 60 up.

Like you I have a loooong straight stretch nearby. No junctions. No cameras. Perfect. I used to get the Beemers up to about 130+ before bottling out. There's no way my LS will get near it before hitting the corner at the end.

Having said that, the LS is quieter, smoother, more comfy and very significantly better built. Those are the things I want from a car, but I could always use a little more poke

Nick

I'd edit those posts if I were you, people have been done for admitting stuff like that. Besides, the mods'll close the topic! (Cue Matt: "Let's keep it in Gold, guys.")

(If any of the more petty of the boys in blue are reading this, add this to your NIP list: I did TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY FIVE MILES AN HOUR past a local school, in my old Y-reg Corolla estate. Come and get me!)

Anyway, where were we? Oh yes, manual shifting, overdrive and stuff...

Just tried it in my GS300 - 85mph in second :whistling: :winky:

On my private driveway... :whistling:

Sorry about lowering the tone.

I don't do that sort of thing now

I can't, sitting here in an armchair with a computer on my lap

I recommend restraint. Lets be honest we alll know it makes sense. Its just... well... sometimes when behind the wheel. Empty road etc etc. Silly me.

• 2 weeks later...
My BMW 850 got to 110 mph here...and, guess what??? So can an LS! (NO!! NOT in 2nd!, but with 'Power' biutton on and foot flat! Freaks the Beemers out!

Hey Chris

I've had a couple of 750's (same lovely sweet V12 as your 850). Despite being about 2.25 tonnes I reckon they would leave an LS400  for dead from 60 up.

Like you I have a loooong straight stretch nearby. No junctions. No cameras. Perfect. I used to get the Beemers up to about 130+ before bottling out. There's no way my LS will get near it before hitting the corner at the end.

Having said that, the LS is quieter, smoother, more comfy and very significantly better built. Those are the things I want from a car, but I could always use a little more poke

Nick

Well, if I recall, the BHP was higher; AND 4 extra cylinders......to go wrong! My 850 experience was one of fixing the damn thing every few weeks! 27 sensors! Started telling me the gear shift (electric!) wasn't operating --in a traffic jam on M4; it reverts to 4th gear then. Pictures of engine burn out, trying to idle along in FOURTH! Until I realised it WAS changing! Just sensors ++++d up! Then....etc..Sold it at great loss, trading for my LS 400. Still costs a bit to maintain (at Lexus!) but, sooooo much more relaxing. And who needs ULTIMATE speed anyway? This is crowded UK!.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links