Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Can Cause A Misfire?

aido

Up-date mate coilpack not £17 more like £80  :o lexus stockport say not going to change mine under warranty coz of the supercharger  :angry: ringing lexus GB to see if can sort it out  :o

:blink: £17 i was going to ask you where you was getting them from at that price :) £80 sounds about right,thats £80 per pack mind.Friend of mine had all 6 packs replaced a few months ago under warranty,said they were £80 each :ohmy:

Good luck getting it fixed.

Cheers chips.

Hmmm, ok the car was checked out and no problems can be seen...

Nothing in the datalog, checked all the coils and they appear ok, so I'm at a loss....

Any more ideas please folks?

It went a few times the other day when I was with Mike but hasn't gone wrong since!

Thanks in advance!

you are saying that it is a major power loss? if so this is not the symptoms of a misfire on 1cyl on a 6cyl engine, 1cyl misfiring would feel like a slight loss, and would be audible too. to me it sounds like either a vvt-i problem, e-throttle problem or fuel, which can be anything from crud in the filter (do you run your tank dry much), fuel pump playing up, excessive vacuum in fuel tank (some vacuum is normal).

eiminate the easiest and cheapest first.

The precats are still in there mate, nothing is logged on the ECU though so we're not sure what's going on!

I think eventually a racing manifold will be the way to go, as that rules those out completely then!

@ Star A, thanks for those pointers mate, I usually run it down to when the light comes on and stick petrol in within the next 10 miles of that happening so it's not completely dry - what do you suggest?

Is that filter a cheap replacable part?

Guess the other things would have to be checked by the dealers?

Cheers pal, would that have been replaced at the 80k service? All my books are down at my mum's!

Can running it down cause this problem then, reason I ask is that I had let it go to fumes not too long before the problem started!

Is Prisca back ok now then fella?

As soon as I read this thread for the 1st time 2 minutes ago it reminded me of my Astra GTE, which had exactly the same symptoms. As an engineer I understand these symptoms could be down to a variety of faults but seeing as you ran your fuel tank almost dry recently i'd definitely start by following star a's advice.

which can be anything from crud in the filter (do you run your tank dry much), fuel pump playing up,

When a fuel filter gets clogged over time it's usually a more gradual hesitancy which doesn't get any better. When you get a reasonably good fuel filter and there's big pieces of sediment going into it (from going down to fumes for example), it blocks the fuel path then clears to give you full power again. A replacement fuel filter may not remedy the fault as the sediment may still be between the tank and the fuel filter. I know it seems drastic but if a fuel filter doesn't cure it the tank may have to come off to get cleaned out properly. Before you replace the filter Aido take off the old one and pump some fuel from your fuel line into a clear container. This will give you a chance to examine the fuel and may even clear the dirty fuel.Sorry to go on but I understand problems like this are a pain.

Good luck Aido.

Adz :winky:

a common misconception is that if you run your tank down to the lowest levels, that the fuel pump filter will get clogged up with crud

the filter doesnt move, it is located at the bottom of the tank, wether the tank is full or empty it will still have the same chances of clogging up, the fuel is constantly being swirled around, if there is crud in there it aint just sitting on the bottom :huh:

a common misconception is that if you run your tank down to the lowest levels, that the fuel pump filter will get clogged up with crud

the filter doesnt move, it is located at the bottom of the tank, wether the tank is full or empty it will still have the same chances of clogging up, the fuel is constantly being swirled around, if there is crud in there it aint just sitting on the bottom

Like you say Bazza it depends where the fuel filter(s) is/are but if there's some old large pieces of sediment at the bottom and you run the tank dry it can suck these large pieces in to the fuel system, depending on where the fuel pickup is too. Some cars have more than 1 fuel filter between the tank and engine. It isn't a misconception as it does happen. If the IS has just the one filter inside the tank i'd recommend changing it if these symptoms occurred.

What are NSPs?

The car had been ok all the way up from Cheltenham, until I came to a junction and the problem occurred in three gears on the trot...

Mat has suggested it could be a fault with the TTE piggyback ECU so going to get in touch with them now!

Ooops sorry Dave you did already, I'm in a hazy Stella mood at the minute!

Still struggling from the phal, that first one was fantastic but the second one was an absolute killer!!!

Going to get in touch with Friedel like you said and see if they can get me a replacement black box out :)

Fingers crossed mate!

• 2 months later...

hi there

i had the same problem a couple of months ago, it was one of the coils,it brought up the traction control light and another light on the top right hand side of the dash,in all it cost me around £ 180 squids but is working perfect now.

hope all goes well.

• 3 months later...
hi there

i had the same problem a couple of months ago, it was one of the coils,it brought up the traction control light and another light on the top right hand side of the dash,in all it cost me around £ 180 squids but is working perfect now.

hope all goes well.

aido, the superchargers jinxed!!

Had exactly the same symptoms tonight for the first time ever..... just as i was playing traffic-light GP with a shiny new IS250! :crybaby:

OK guys my car is still misfiring as seen by Mike the other night, think it's misfiring anyway, not sure what else it could be!

Basically under WOT conditions occasionally the car loses all power before kicking back in, feels like I've hit the red line.

Spark plugs have just been changed thanks to Gord but the problem is still there (but I am getting much better MPG cheers fella :D)

What else can cause this problem?

Dodgy fuel pump? Anything else?

Just trying to work up a check list so I can get an idea - no CEL's yet so haven't taken it to the dealer....

Thanks in advance

I had this on my corrado VR6, it was the crank shaft sensor pickup, used to misfire between 3500rpm-4500rpm, you could drive round them but it was a pain...had new sensor fitted and A-ok...appart from wallet :( didn't pickup on diagnostics very well.

Don't know if lex is same set up tho'

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links