Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nice Pic Of The Mk1 Is With The Mk2 Is

aido

I'm surprised I haven't seen these pictures posted here yet - basically some of the guys from ClubLexus and My.IS in the USA got a chance to test drive the new IS250 AWD and IS350 at the start of August and there are some nice pics of both the MK1 and MK2 together - really good as you can't really judge the size of the thing in the pics...

Here's the article the pics are from:

http://www.clublexus.com/index.php/article...view/7475/1/10/

And here are some pics :D

DSC09001_Medium_.JPG

DSC09002_Medium_.JPG

DSC09004_Medium_.JPG

First time I've seen both side by side!

I still prefer the 'classic' MK1!

I've just looked at those pics again and a couple of things stand out straight away....

I've read all the stuff about how Lexus have got the smallest seam lines on the new IS - compare the two together and you can see everything is much closer fitting on the new model, the lines on the bumpers, doors, bonnet, there is less of a gap than on our generation...

Also as much as I love my IS the pics do sort of show that the design is dated and in need of a rethink. Don't get me wrong, I still prefer my IS but the newer one seems more in touch with the times if you get what I'm saying (ie it looks like every other new car coming out recently!!)

Looks like there is too much door and not enough window on the new one.

I did see a new GS300 in town on friday night though and was mightly impressed by the look of it and from what i could see, the equipment it had inside.

Looked like you'd be driving round in your armchair.

Hmmm, these pics are actually very interesting. I agree with everyone who says that the IS200 looks a *little* dated by now, but I'm just not sure about the styling of the mk2. In truth, I like it from the front, but it's the rear that does nothing for me. Overall, I just get a feeling of "family car" from it, rather than "sporty saloon". I think it's the slightly bloated look -- it looks more marshmallowy comfort than lean firm handling. In fact, the more I look at this car, the more I think it's designed for American tastes, not European.

Having said all of this, I still wouldn't mind owning one.

Si

Interesting seeing them side by side alright as its hard to get a true perception of size from a standalone photo of the Mk2

I appreciate the Mk1s in the pics are probably all lowered but the Mk2 seems very tall in comparison, very high waistline too which I'm not a great fan of...........

Up til now I always got the impression the Mk 2 was a lot bigger car but seeing these pics I doubt is much bigger at all? What are the official dimensions compared to the Mk1 anybody know?

I'd still love one of course :P

Does anyone fancy reversing the MKII WITHOUT any aids?

After reading the link the 350 just sounds so much better but it makes me wonder again about pricing.........(all figures are off the top of my head so no moaning :) )

If the 250 is from 26-32k

the 350 would be what?..........30 - 36k

so where would it fit in price wise against the GS????

Would this be a part reason why the 350 wouldnt come here?

The AWD also sound really interesting as although we dont get a great deal of snow.................. when we do, snow button or not, the arse is still a thing of wonder to watch as it struggles to stay straight.

Up til now I always got the impression the Mk 2 was a lot bigger car but seeing these pics I doubt is much bigger at all? What are the official dimensions compared to the Mk1 anybody know?

Here we go, I've just nicked this from the article:

The New IS has definitely increased in size as it has grown 3.5” longer, 3” wider and wheelbase as been stretched out another 2.4” from the previous generation.

It saye the boot space hasgone from 10 cubic feet to 13 in the new model...

It is worth reading the article I mention in the first post of this topic, the guys driving these really do know their IS, and their comment on the handling of the standard 350 setup without Sport pack is that it is as good if not better than their aftermarket coilover setup - of course this was on standard roads so they wouldn't have been driving hard enough I guess where coilovers do come into their own.... But saying that, most driving isn't done hard nowadays so sounds interesting!

It is a nice car, but doesn't the front end look too much like a Honda Accord ?

I thought the Lexus was supposed to be difference to the rest !! :blink:

Have peeps seen the new Alfa 159 shots? Back end is almost identical. Infact apart from the front grill I think its very similar indeed:

See what you think.......

Alfa 159

I really like it and am tempted.

Have peeps seen the new Alfa 159 shots? Back end is almost identical. Infact apart from the front grill I think its very similar indeed:

Alfa 159

I wouldn't buy an Alfa, it would fall to bits in no time

Alfa 159

I wouldn't buy an Alfa, it would fall to bits in no time

I think their getting better, and reserve judgement until it comes out offically - you have to admit though they make the sweetest looking cars!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links