Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Brown Pants Time!

Anees

Well the clutch on the IS isn't one of the best - by only adding a supercharger many people wear them out pretty fast, and that only a 50hp increase. I know that when I sometimes drive hard and make fast gear changes that after a while I start to get a bit of clutch smell. I thought brakes would be a lot stronger than a clutch, or the clutch in the IS at least. :unsure:

Well maybe i'm putting my foot in it here then. From most of the things I have read though quite a few people seem to comment on clutch wear. Even though the car is still accelerating, I just don't see how it could affect the brakes that much. Clutches tend to make a nasty smell without too much effort in my experience. Then again, i'm not that experienced! :blush:

My clutch had 85k on it before it was changed, 25 of those were with the SC, I have the Blueprint one now, seems ok but behaved strangely in the airport carpark earlier!

Hope this lasts as long as the OEM clutch - the uprated clutches are more use in cars with a lot more power than an SC'd IS in my opinion, not sure what you guys reckon?

This has actually been highlighted by Lexus, and an official recall was made in September 2000. :excl:

See here for details.

What year was your car Anees? Recall applies to cars 1 March 1999 to 31 July 2000.

D. :ph34r:

P.S. Glad to hear you're OK. Hope that your kegs weren't expensive ones... :lol:

This has actually been highlighted by Lexus, and an official recall was made in September 2000. :excl:

See here for details.

What year was your car Anees? Recall applies to cars 1 March 1999 to 31 July 2000.

D. :ph34r:

P.S. Glad to hear you're OK. Hope that your kegs weren't expensive ones...  :lol:

Thanks for the link :D

My car is an 18/12/00 model. The recall I would assume would be to install that big clip under the drivers seat which is supposed to keep the mat in place. I DO have the clip. Just think its one of those things that can happen.... The mat had become unhooked from the clip earlier in the week and must have started making its way forward towards the pedals bit by bit.

@Geoffers :blush: Dead Battery. Need to get a car charger sorted out for the phone! Thanks for ringing however. I'll call you back later today (once I charge my phone :whistling: )

I honestly wasn't panicing at a all (no one seems to believe me however :P ), its only now when I think what potentially could have happened that I am actually SO relieved and very slightly shocked.

This happened to me the day i bought the car.

while i was overtaking on a B-road

had to change up through 2 gears while overtaking without being able to release the accelerator too

Terrifying

pulled in dumped the clutch, stamped the accelerator twice, it free'd up and i carried on driving.

If i hadnt been midway through an overtaking manouvre i would have just dumped the clutch and pulled over.

The peg is completely missing on mine so i made one out of a bolt and some big washers.

Not happened since

Car felt abit different today. Don't know what just didn't feel the same. I took it to a mate of mine who is a mechanic and he checked it out. He took it for a drive and said that its fine; no problems. Said their is plenty left on the clutch and he hadn't been able to detect any slipping. He checked the brakes and said everything looks ok.

I doubt him because when he came back he said that the car was "bloody fast" and "glued to the road" :P :P I asked him if he was feeling ok!

His mate has an MR2 and he drove my car abit harder... :whistling: Again no issues with the clutch, he was impressed with the handling but said it was sluggish. but he said that once he got to the higher rev ranges he felt that it went better then the MR2. (Thats more like it!)

He took me for a ride in his MR2 and WOW - qwwwiickkkkkk........ :excl:

Basically just said its in my head..... :lol:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links