Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Motorbike Meets Golf

Jiberjaber

Just looking on another forum I frequent now and again and came across this which serves as a good wakeup regarding speed, awareness and it's consequences...

The Honda rider was traveling at such a "very high speed", his reaction time was not sufficient enough to avoid this accident. Swedish Police estimate a speed of ~250 KM/h (155mph) before the bike hit the slow moving car side-on at an intersection. At that speed, they predicted that the rider's reaction time (once the vehicle came into view) wasn't sufficient enough for him to even apply the brakes. The car had two passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car with them. The Volkswagen actually flipped over from the force of impact and landed 10 feet from where the collision took place.

All three involved (two in car and rider) were killed instantly. This graphic demonstration was placed at the Stockholm Motorcycle Fair by the Swedish Police and Road Safety Department. The sign above the display also noted that the rider had only recently obtained his license.

At 250 KM (155 mph) the operator is traveling at 227 feet per second. With normal reaction time to SEE-DECIDE-REACT of 1.6 seconds the above operator would have traveled over 363 feet while making a decision on what actions to take. In this incident the Swedish police indicate that no actions were taken.

crash1.jpg

crash2.jpg

crash3.jpg

crash4.jpg

sad and shocking as it is...............

i doubt the bike was traveling at 155mph.

True ........ probably a combined speed !

See it everyday ............ well, maybe not every single day ......... but most of the time !

How can there be a combined speed side on? I guess the speedo might have stuck and that showed it, but if he didn't have time to brake then there is nothing else to confirm the speed.

Why can't there be ?

Car travelling along the road at speed .......

Bike travelleling along the road at speed........

Both meet at a ....... say for example mini roundabout ........ no one gives way ... and both enter the junction ....... that's two cars travelling at speed isn't it ?

But it's side on, the speeds need to have a component in the same direction to be combined. If the bike was not perpendicular to the car on impact, then there would be a combined speed of

Speed(bike) + ( Cos(Angle) x Speed(car) )

So either the speedo was stuck at 155, or the subsequent calculations from the scene showed a speed of 155... unfortunatly, there is no further details other than what is stated.

I am supprised it all looks so clean - not in terms of blood but in terms of damage to the bike etc.

I'm pretty sure that's a VFR400 in the pic and so it couldn't have been travelling at that speed(you'd be lucky to get 140). It could be an RC30 (VFR750RR) but I don't think so as he'd only just got his license and the RC30 is not a novice bike and also damned expensive.

I am supprised it all looks so clean - not in terms of blood but in terms of damage to the bike etc.

Me too, although travelling at high speed into a side of a car at a 90 degree angle could be enough to puncture the side of the car while also encasing the bike. Then the momentum could roll the car over as the energy would have to go somewhere. Either way it's bad news for all concerned.

Of course if he'd been going faster he wouldn't have been there, thus avoiding an accident :ohmy: .

In my youth I used to marshall at cadwell and on the way there with a group of friends on bikes one hit a car at speed.

The car was flipped on its side and moved down the junction.

the passenger door was crushed to the gear box tunnel.

there was no glass left in the car at all.

the diver of the car had been on the pop and driving without insurance and basically thought he could turn in accross the road before the bike could get to him ( boy was that a bad guess) .

the rider and pillion went over the car and the rider broke both his arms above and below this elbows and broke loads or ribs as his girlfriend used him as an airbag.

I would have thought the rider would have been peeled off the bike and thrown over it

I'm pretty sure that's a  VFR400 in the pic and so it couldn't have been travelling at that speed(you'd be lucky to get 140). It could be an RC30 (VFR750RR) but I don't think so as he'd only just got his license and the RC30 is not a novice bike and also damned expensive.

I was just going to say that RC30 or NC30, though from the back shot I'd say it could be an RC - what a waste of a good bike.

Even if it was the RC30, a speed of 155 would be maxing the bike out, lets not forget in standard from it was never that fast in terms of top speed.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links