Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel Consumption Question For Ls400?

Gazza

• 7 months later...
Anyone got any info on an LPG converted LS 400/430??

I wondered about it for my GS. not sure yet. have to see what I'm doing work wise first.. it would be a good investment if I could get a great job donew on it for a grand.

Any thoughts?

Loz

hi - i've got a 1990 LS400 and was also thinking about gas. did you get any responses from the others to your enquiry about their experiences? have you gone any further with it? i've filled in a questionaire on a firm's web site for a quotation, but they've not come back to me.

i'd appreciate your thoughts.

at the moment i run a, rover sterling, had it for last three years and have been running it on lpg for these three years. i have had no problems with the conversion, or the engine and it is running very smoothly for a car thats on 135,000 miles. i would recomend the lpg conversion to anyone as it also keeps the engine clean internally and the engine oil is as clean as the day i had last oil change done, 7months ago.

i am seriously thinking about buying a 1995 ls400 which has come up for sale locally. it has 70,000 miles on the clock and for the last year that i know of, has been converted to lpg. price £7000. does the pricetag seem ok to you guys? this is without the conversion as it has been taken out but i will put new conversion in it.

my car before the rover was an old merc 2.8 SL ? straight 6. i also had the conversion in that. ran ok also even though it was leaded. i have always dreamed about running a lexus, and for some strange reason the wife fell in love with it when she saw it. so no problem there. i would appreciate a coment on the pricetag. thanks.

If it is in excellent condition, has full Lexus history and had the cambelt changed at 60,000 miles then the price isn't too bad although try and get £500 off. Prices for the LS vary quite a bit, you could pay £4000 for a 1995 model or £8000.

Try and drive a few different ones. Any suspension wear affects ride quality however even worn it will feel better than most cars so you need to compare to other LSs

• 10 months later...

have owned my LS400 for 6 months now and the mpg im getting depends on how it is driven . when i first got it i filled the tank (£65) drove it home , all motorway on cruise at constant 70mph over a distance of approx 130 miles and the next day i filled it up again to check the mpg . i had to check it 3 times because i thought it was wrong because it did so well . 34mpg. unfortunatly i do not drive on the motorway at any other time except when we go on holiday because driving around town where i live the worst mpg is 17 and the best is 22. when we went on holiday we covered approx 1300 miles pulling a large folding camper all over Scotland and the north of England and i was suprised to get on average 23mpg.

are we happy with it? YES. what pleasure it is to drive . who cares what the mpg is . if its something you want then get one . :)

I reckon I got about 23/24 mpg (Imp.) on my old 91 LS, and I have no reason to suspect that my new 94 LS will be any different.

Driving around town is a killer on the consumption, but i wonder how shocked yer average Fiesta driver would be if they checked their "urban" consumption against what they thought they'd be getting... :P

djp

I wondered about it for my GS. not sure yet. have to see what I'm doing work wise first.. it would be a good investment if I could get a great job donew on it for a grand.

Any thoughts?

Loz

hi - i've got a 1990 LS400 and was also thinking about gas. did you get any responses from the others to your enquiry about their experiences? have you gone any further with it? i've filled in a questionaire on a firm's web site for a quotation, but they've not come back to me.

at the moment i run a, rover sterling, had it for last three years and have been running it on lpg for these three years. i have had no problems with the conversion, or the engine and it is running very smoothly for a car thats on 135,000 miles. i would recomend the lpg conversion to anyone as it also keeps the engine clean internally and the engine oil is as clean as the day i had last oil change done, 7months ago.

i am seriously thinking about buying a 1995 ls400 which has come up for sale locally. it has 70,000 miles on the clock and for the last year that i know of, has been converted to lpg. price £7000. does the pricetag seem ok to you guys? this is without the conversion as it has been taken out but i will put new conversion in it.

my car before the rover was an old merc 2.8 SL ? straight 6. i also had the conversion in that. ran ok also even though it was leaded. i have always dreamed about running a lexus, and for some strange reason the wife fell in love with it when she saw it. so no problem there. i would appreciate a coment on the pricetag. thanks.

Any thoughts?

Loz

• 5 months later...

Its a small point but one thing to remember about converting to LPG is that if you do it you wont be able to take your car through the Channel Tunnel where LPG vehicles are banned and I think that also applies to any of the Alps tunnels - but will stand corrected. I though about it, but use my car for one return journey of 50 miles a week and a few miles at the weekend and one 6 week trip to Italy a year. I'd be lucky to exceed 7 k a year - on that basis the maths just doesn't justify the cost and the risk that the conversion job might be less than perfect. I think its only worth it if you are a big mileage driver.

quote name='GreyBeard' date='Dec 6 2003, 11:34 AM' post='91294']

Any thoughts?

Loz

Any thoughts?

Loz

Is it a Ser 2 1995 or Ser 3? (If it has separate Fog lights, it's Ser 2)

You can have my Series 3 for £6500 which will give you £500 towards LPG! And it's an even better deal if it IS Ser 2 versus Ser3, as the 3s are distinctly better! pristine, garage stored, etc etc. Would save my having to e-bay it too! :)

• 6 months later...

Hi

Just to add my experiance.

I bought the car for specific motorway driving to and from my office, some 80miles each way and am getting at best 32mpg and at worst 26mpg combined with weekend family driving around town.

My car is a 1996Mk3 LS400 with 95,000miles and I have fitted a new K&N air filter which made a decent differance in power and torque.

Murph

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
it copes with anything (except frying oil!) but tests that i've done over 1,000 miles show a better ride, smoother acceleration, and slightly more 'perky' if you use super unleaded. it's dearer, but then so's running a lexus, so just live with it!!

Hi. your so right. my 96 LS400 runs so much better on Super Unleaded!

• 8 months later...

Hi Folks Im a fairly new ls400 owner 94/95 model and need some advice from long term owner who knows the car better than me.I must admit I cant believe how economical this car is and just a joy to drive. My email is wayneburgess63@yahoo.co.uk any of you guys can give me a bit of tech advice I would be grateful.Thanks Wayne from Bolton Lancashire. :)

• 1 month later...
Does anyone have any experience in using those fuelsavers- Powermax or Fuelsaver device which cramps on the fuel supply line and uses magnetic field to reduce fuel consumption ? Are they of any use and is it easy to install by amateur- where is the fuel line ? I'd appreciate any help please.

they don't work for one thing petrol has no magnetic properties.

http://www.chris-longhurst.com

• 2 months later...

Any thoughts?

Loz

Any thoughts?

Loz

Hi LOZ -- I have had my ls400 put on LPG the cost was £2500.--a litre of gas is -49/56ppl compered to the price of petrol, the fuel consumption is the same as when on petrol, if your milege is 10,000 a year you can save over £1400. you must inform you Insurance Company and the D.V.L.A. of the change

I have seen R.Rovers/Jags/Volvos/Mercs/Bmw's/and many more being converted,so your G.S. will be ok

shelldrake

Any thoughts?

Loz

Hi LOZ -- I have had my ls400 put on LPG the cost was £2500.--a litre of gas is -49/56ppl compered to the price of petrol, the fuel consumption is the same as when on petrol, if your milege is 10,000 a year you can save over £1400. you must inform you Insurance Company and the D.V.L.A. of the change

I have seen R.Rovers/Jags/Volvos/Mercs/Bmw's/and many more being converted,so your G.S. will be ok

shelldrake

Hi Loz, I recently had LPG put onto my RX, very impressed so far with the economy, and performance so far, I've done some calculations to work out savings you should get from converting to LPG based on 10,000 miles per year.

AVERAGE DRIVING MILEAGE PER YEAR 10,000.00

AVERAGE MPG ON PETROL 26.00

AVERAGE MPG ON LPG 23.00

COST PER LITRE OF PETROL £1.00

COST PER LITRE OF LPG £0.55

PETROL

COST PER GALLON OF PETROL £4.50

PETROL PER YEAR ( GALLONS ) 384.62

PETROL PER YEAR ( LITRES ) 1,730.77

COST PER MILE ( PETROL ) £0.17

ANNUAL COST ( PETROL ) £1,730.77

LPG

COST PER GALLON (LPG ) £2.48

LPG PER YEAR ( GALLONS ) 434.78

LPG PER YEAR ( LITRES ) 1,956.52

COST PER MILE ( LPG ) £0.11

ANNUAL COST ( LPG ) £1,076.09

Monthly saving £54.56

Annual saving £654.68

Three year saving £1,964.05

Five year saving £3,273.41

Saving per mile £0.07

Hope this helps Nev ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My 93 1st gen 400 has just returned a healthy 28mpg on a round trip to north yorkshire, and back to london using mainly motorways and fast A roads, [A1, A1M M25] at a steady 70 mph. The car has done 131800 miles and ran perfectly, testement to the build quality of these V8's and transmissions. Oil will be drained again in the next week or so and fresh put in. I change the oil every 3,000 miles.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi,

I am looking at buying a '96 LS400SE, but the only thing that is stopping me is the possible fuel consumption. Obviously 4 litres is a big engine, but what sort of fuel consumption are people genuinely getting out of theirs?

Thanks in advance. :question:

Hi, I changed my 200k miles 1991 LS400 late in 2008 for a 1994 model with only 8,542 miles ( honest ).

Wanted a brand new one of that shape and so pleased with it so far. Petrol consumption is the same in both !

A really good run from Kent to Birmingham at @ 80 mph gave me just about 30 mpg.

Generally get about 23 mpg driving it in Overdrive mode.

When " boy racers " think they can burn me up ( a 15 year old monster ) at the lights or wherever I just put it into PWR mode and. well, of course it just flys away and leaves them gasping ! BUT I do expect the consumption to be at 16 mpg or so then, but, hey, it's not for long. THE LEXUS LS400 must be the very best and most economic of the GREATEST cars on the road.

Hi,

I am looking at buying a '96 LS400SE, but the only thing that is stopping me is the possible fuel consumption. Obviously 4 litres is a big engine, but what sort of fuel consumption are people genuinely getting out of theirs?

Thanks in advance. :question:

Very much dependent on how you drive it, but on the motorway with air con off and cruising at about 80 mph I get 30-32 mpg regular as clockwork. I've seen 35mpg on a quiet A road journey going no faster than 60. If you use a lot of throttle then of course you're going to see far lower figures but with a sensitive right foot you can get surprisingly good results.

I have a 1999 LS400, 99k with 5 speed gearbox (top gear might be a little higher than yours which would obviously help fuel economy...at 70 mph the engine's turning over at just over 2000 rpm).

Really these cars are absolute bargains, I wouldn't be worried about the fuel consumption. Given a decent service record, the main thing I'd watch for is suspension work which can crop up at higher mileages.

• 6 months later...

Hi, I have just bought a '98 LS400 from near Bristol. I had to drive back to Hull so I cruised at around 60mph all the way being very light on the accellerator and averaged by the end of the journey, 41.6MPG!! The next day, I did put my foot down a few times but still took it easy and it is now reads an average of around 38MPG, still astonishing for a 4L V8. To confirm, when going down any hills, I took my foot off the accellerator making use of the cars two tons to get that few extra miles. Can anyone beat 41.6MPG? FYI, Bristol to Hull isn't down hill all the way :)

Hi, I have just bought a '98 LS400 from near Bristol. I had to drive back to Hull so I cruised at around 60mph all the way being very light on the accellerator and averaged by the end of the journey, 41.6MPG!! The next day, I did put my foot down a few times but still took it easy and it is now reads an average of around 38MPG, still astonishing for a 4L V8. To confirm, when going down any hills, I took my foot off the accellerator making use of the cars two tons to get that few extra miles. Can anyone beat 41.6MPG? FYI, Bristol to Hull isn't down hill all the way :)

is that on the computer or measured full tank to full tank? either way its impressive

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links