Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Could You Drive Without It?

maneesh

Some of us may have grown up driving rear wheel drive cars that didn't have traction control, vehicle stability control or any such gizmos to help in emergencies. I am one of those people.

My GS300 is the first car that I have owned that has had VSC and TC. Decided to turn the VSC off today to see what difference it makes. At traffic lights, pressed the gas pedal and wheelspin galore with not much gas. Switched it back on, as P Zeros are not cheap!

Essentially, having lived with all these driver aids, could you now go back to a car that didn't have such features? Does having all these driver aids mean we take more risks, as we believe the car's electronics will prevent the car getting into trouble?

For example, how many of us have the driving skill necessary to control a beast such as a TVR?

Its a good question. I had a rear wheel drive turbo charged sports car last year for a bit of fun and it did ask to be driven with respect. I think its easy to overlook and thus over cook it in cars with too many gizmos.

I know that I can drive a car without them. But I know I would not drive as fast sometimes...

They have made some of us lazy, I agree.

I'd never turn off the traction control on the aristo :) Too much car and scares me to imagine going sideways in it.

Although i also have my Lotus Esprit Turbo which doesnt have anything at all, doesnt even have an ECU being a Carb version so no ABS, no Power Steering, no Traction Control.

Its just you, the car and the road. Scary thing to push hard but respect it and it respects you.

I have also had many Supra's and Celica's.

All my celica's had no traction control etc, one of them (rip) didnt have ABS either.

The few times i lost the back end out on the supras wasnt too bad, even my 400+bhp one was easy enough to bring back into line.

I'd say it all depends on how used you are to having the car do the work for you and also what type of car it is.

I think they are a good thing to have as it could save your life one day, although i agree such things do take away a lot of the enjoyment/feeling of a car :)

to be honest, its one of the things i love about TVR's - no driver aids, its just you and the car...

but you have to drive them completley differently, with all these computers looking after us, a lot of drivers have lost their respect for cars and what they can do...

Otherwise they interfere with my driving....:)

only I cant do it fully on the merc which is a pain from time to time

The new IS can't have the "electronic aids" switched off either,which i'm sure is likely to spoil more than one person's fun.

In fact,I've got a feeling this is a trend with all the new Lexuses,as i can't turn anything off in my RX400h and I believe the new GS is ditto.

Otherwise they interfere with my driving....:)

only I cant do it fully on the merc which is a pain from time to time

The new IS can't have the "electronic aids" switched off either,which i'm sure is likely to spoil more than one person's fun.

In fact,I've got a feeling this is a trend with all the new Lexuses,as i can't turn anything off in my RX400h and I believe the new GS is ditto.

traction control can definetly be turned off in the new GS :lol:

Learn to drive and drive without aids is my motto and something i was taught. Now being supercharged it makes all the difference too and i have more fun. Most ppl cant handle a RWD car with power let alone without TRC and other electronic aids. I remember throwing a RWD turbo MR2 around and the lad next to me was in disbelief, being so confident in own abilities.

FWD with power are another story (RS Turbo 190bhp) as you have to combat torque steer great for building the forearms lol! :D

I think driving without electric aids helps hone your skills as most new drivers don’t know what to do when or if they get into a skid situation.

The lex is great for going to & fro to work but for the w\e when it’s not raining I get out the series 1 rs turbo 215bhp through the front wheels 2in from the ground now that’s scary and the only electrics is for the windows (always carry fresh underwear :crying: )

Ade :P

I turn the traction control off when i start the car,within a minute or less of driving the car you truely know what state the roads/grip levels are and if anything i drive more careful knowing the true levels of grip.With traction control on id say id take more risks pulling out of junctions or onto roundabouts..

Cheers chips..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links