Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Maybe I shoudnt tempt fate but my '93 Mk2 LS has just passed its MOT (YAY) with only 2 advisories - bonnet stays (mainly because it fell on his head and he was pi$$ed off), and a slight leak at the base of the nearside cat that was not enough to fail it.

No suspension/steering probs, no disc/caliper/parking brake probs!

Heres to yet another year of quiet comfortable wafting around in supreme comfort.

Just thought I'd share :D :D :D :D

my bonnet struts have had it as well, a common problem. this is because the bonnet NEVER needs to be opened, as there is nothing in there to go wrong..

Enjoy the next year keeping the petrol companys rich.

my bonnet struts have had it as well, a common problem. this is because the bonnet NEVER needs to be opened, as there is nothing in there to go wrong..

Hi Dave,

My bonnet struts had also gone on my '93, I was going to replace them before I bought a bargain price MK4 off eBay absolutely perfect, FSH etc. but you don't want to know about that.

The struts I was going to use were from a USA source and were universal ones that would fit LS's, I think they were approx $15 a pair.

I recall seeing this on a Lexus maintainance website but can't remember which one, though I am sure someone else will know, or a quick google search will come up with it.

The posting also had full fitting instructions and the suppliers details as well as the correct part numbers.

From reading other owners postings it would that these are beginning to fail due to age, so it might make sense for individuals to club together with a bulk purchase?

I've just had another look for it without success, but it is there somewhere, good luck.

Regards,

Chris Vince

Nice !

What mileage is she ?

Mr SF - 156k and going strong and I'm doing about 12k a year!

This year I'm looking to tow my 1500kg (all up weight) caravan to Arcachon in France for 2 weeks (just to the west of Bordeaux) about 600 miles from Calais and (touches wood gently) dont really foresee any probs.

Before then I will have had the engine oil changed (yet again), and this year will probably have the transfluid changed as well but my minds not made up about that one yet, it smells good and feels good (nice and slippery) and theres always the chance of contamination changing it.

I could change the car - but why would I want to? Its worth about 2k on a very good day - it owes me nowt and just goes on, what more could one want?

I am the cat with the cream :D :D :D :D :D

Hi Dave,

My bonnet struts had also gone on my '93, I was going to replace them before I bought a bargain price MK4 off eBay absolutely perfect, FSH etc. but you don't want to know about that.

The struts I was going to use were from a USA source and were universal ones that would fit LS's, I think they were approx $15 a pair.

I recall seeing this on a Lexus maintainance website but can't remember which one, though I am sure someone else will know, or a quick google search will come up with it.

The posting also had full fitting instructions and the suppliers details as well as the correct part numbers.

From reading other owners postings it would that these are beginning to fail due to age, so it might make sense for individuals to club together with a bulk purchase?

I've just had another look for it without success, but it is there somewhere, good luck.

Regards,

Chris Vince

Chris

Yes I saw the same a few years back before mine went wrong and I havent been able to find it since (always the way) either, but for the few times I need it open I have a 3 foot length of 2x1 that does an admirable job :lol:

Maybe if somebody knows of the parts they could post.

Cheers

Dave

Hi again Dave,

I hate not being able to find things, and am unable to give up so I kept going!

Try this link

http://www.cureline.net/lex/howtos/howto_hood_shocks.htm

Sadly the price has gone up, my memory let me down their $15.99, this is a considerable saving on Lexus parts (as ever).

Best regards,

Chris Vince

Hi again Dave,

Try this link

Sadly the price has gone up, my memory let me down their $15.99, this is a considerable saving on Lexus parts (as ever).

Best regards,

Chris Vince

PS

I did get in touch with the supplier and they are willing to post to the UK.

Chris

Hi again Dave,

Try this link

Best regards,

Chris Vince

Hi again Dave,

Try this link

Best regards,

Chris Vince

PS

I did get in touch with the supplier and they are willing to post to the UK.

Chris

Thanks Chris you are a star.

You are always coming to the rescue of one of us!

Maybe I shoudnt tempt fate but my '93 Mk2 LS has just passed its MOT (YAY) with only 2 advisories - bonnet stays (mainly because it fell on his head and he was pi$$ed off), and a slight leak at the base of the nearside cat that was not enough to fail it.

No suspension/steering probs, no disc/caliper/parking brake probs!

Heres to yet another year of quiet comfortable wafting around in supreme comfort.

Just thought I'd share :D :D :D :D

great stuff, nice to hear :D :D

OK, I have emailed them and asked if they will fit MKII MKII and MKIV, soon as I hear, I'll repost and (assuming they will fit) The New Strut Gang can be formed!!!!

If not, how many MKII's are there out there requiring struts? When ordering one, I might as well order more if required

Dave

:lol: mine seem to work ok now. funny that. i have open and closed the bonnet a few times and it seems to be much better in that it holds itself up> i think if they are not used much they get a bit sloppy. i think i will still replace them if its a mot problem, i can be havins a fail sheet :lol:

Mine just fell on me bonce last night - filling the washer bottle. Is it the cold? or is it worse on a down pointing slope?

I'd go for a set Type III '97

I am a joiner.

Yes it's the cold (in part) Monstermat will be along in a mo' with an enormously technical description of why..... :blink:

Finally got a reply from USA yesterday - they are looking into what will fit what!!!

I'll keep you posted

Dave

Yes it's the cold (in part) Monstermat will be along in a mo' with an enormously technical description of why..... :blink:

Yes, mine always work better in the summer, all down to gas being more errrrrrrr gassy when its warm I suppose.

<techybit>If you 'pump' the bonnet up and down a few times they seem to hold better - probably because the gas warms up when its compressed/decompressed</techybit>

Ah,

That will be Boyles law then:

In the mid 1600's, Robert Boyle studied the relationship between the pressure p and the volume V of a confined gas held at a constant temperature. Boyle observed that the product of the pressure and volume are observed to be nearly constant. The product of pressure and volume is exactly a constant for an ideal gas.

p * V = constant

The key to the answer being constant temperature.

Nearly time to go home then!

Regards

Chris Vince (I'm going honest)

Ah,

In the mid 1600's, Robert Boyle studied the relationship between the pressure p and the volume V of a confined gas held at a constant temperature. Boyle observed that the product of the pressure and volume are observed to be nearly constant. The product of pressure and volume is exactly a constant for an ideal gas.

p * V = constant

Regards

Following Boyles Law a little further if the outside temperature was -273C ( absolute zero) the volume of a gas becomes zero does this mean that you wouldn't be able open the bonnet to start with nevermind make sure it stays open?

Ah,

p * V = constant

Regards

Following Boyles Law a little further if the outside temperature was -273C ( absolute zero) the volume of a gas becomes zero does this mean that you wouldn't be able open the bonnet to start with nevermind make sure it stays open?

You wouldn't catch me outside in weather like that!!

Regards,

Chris

:lol: mine seem to work ok now. funny that. i have open and closed the bonnet a few times and it seems to be much better in that it holds itself up> i think if they are not used much they get a bit sloppy. i think i will still replace them if its a mot problem, i can be havins a fail sheet :lol:

it is not a mot problem as a tester i would never think of failing it but if it fell on my head i would make sure no was watching

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links