Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Worth Owning A Lexus 2nd Hand?

steve_w

Hello All,

I'm looking at buying a 2nd hand Lexus and not wanting to pay a lot for it ( say 15K max ).

Given the price of Lexus cars from new ( of course half of it is tax..... ) a few questions:

(1) For 15K should I bother?

(2) If its worth doing, what models/milage should I avoid?

(3) What are common problems with Lexus cars that are serious and I should avoid?

(4) Can I put a baby seat in the back seat easily?

I'm a practical chap and know a fair bit about motors, gearboxes etc and am hands on.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Steve.

The advantage of buying a Lexus secondhand is that you stand a much better chance of it having been looked after properly by the previous owner.

As far as reliability is concerned, mine is now 26 months old, completed 23K, and it is the first car I have owned that has never had to go back for something to be fixed.

The rear seat is Isofix so carrying children is perfectly safe.

Go for it - you know it makes sense :)

Welcome to the LOC first of all :D

I'm sure like most people on here you're more interested in the IS200/300 and there's plenty of very good ones at your budget. There'll be plenty of advice on those as I believe there are certain models within the IS range which are more desirable than others. Also the GS300/430 is somewhere between the IS and LS range with a 3 litre/6 and a 4.3 litre/V8 available.

Also there is the RX range of 4x4's which i'm sure is also within your budget.

However, for your 15k you could get a very nice LS400 for the ultimate in luxury (The big limo with the smooth, powerful 4.0 V8).

Something to consider is the fact none of these cars are particularly good on fuel.

As for faults on each model, try doing a search on this site for specific faults for specific models.

Lexus cars are extremely reliable as long as they are well maintained.

Welcome to LOC! You was obviously up bright and early this monrning!

I bought my IS200 second little over a year ago. I replaced the tyres, and two interior bulbs! Other than that the car has been fantastic to drive!

The biggest visual turn off can be the wheels as they are prone to corrode. Check to see if the stereo works fine.

If you have £15k to play with that should get you a great example.

Enjoy! :D

Our local Lexus dealer has a selection of used IS200's in stock for £14-15K, 2-3 year old cars, typically 30k miles, as will your nearest dealer I'm sure. The IS is a very competent and reliable car and fun to drive. Boot is a tad limited, but you might find a Sportcross which gives you a bit more room.

I'm on my second IS and love it. Can't comment on the larger models since I've never owned one, but there are plenty of positive reports on the forum.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

IanB :D

I can only repeat what the other guys have said, you should get a decent car for £15k.

I'm also on my 2nd IS, I paid £13k for my first one , a 3 year old SE.

Have a good look round though as I'm sure you'll find some good deals out there.

Matt

Mechanically very sound.

Bad for fuel economy. The IS range are particulary bad for their output in relation to their consumption.

Otherwise very good as long as they are maintained. This is my first one and i havent had a problem or had any costs except my for modifications.

Steve,

Welcome to the LOC :D

I purchased an IS200 SE about two months ago. It's a 53 reg with 22,000 on the clock. Guess what I paid...£15,000. This is little expensive, but it came witn 18" alloys and a full TTE bodykit so I wasn't complaining.

Reasons why I bought one:-

Love the looks

Love the luxury

Love the reliability

Love the service I received on test drives etc.

Love the drive (but I did have a Pug 106 before, so not much to compare it to, although I have driven a Ford Focus for a period).

Reasons why I was thinking of buying something else until I told myself to stop being stupid:-

Fuel economy

Not a hatchback

Under-powered

It depends what you want from the car. Personally I'm extremely happy with mine. The fuel economy is annoying, but I've got over that now. I have found that having a saloon rather than a hatchback is absolutely fine, I've had no difficulties, but a pram etc could prove difficult.

I will start modifying for increased power when I have the money, but until then I don't find it a particular problem.

If you want a smoother ride in the IS go for a S or SE, rather than a Sport as the Sport has harder and lower suspension. The SE has a few upgrades over the S and I thought these were worth it.

Overall I'm very happy with the car, only problem is the lady is getting annoyed as I won't shut up about it!

:D

Welcome to the club :D Had my GS 2 years now, all I have had to do is fill it with fuel and put four new boots on, Oh and upgrade the wipers to PIAA........Go for it Steve you know it makes sense :D

The most reliable car on the road

Nah! Come on guys!

You all KNOW that my wonderful LS 400 Series 3-the best LS there is!- is about to be sold, AND for only £Five thousand!. All that cossetted luxury and just run in at 65000 miles! (Lexus' famed longevity, if you're new to the marque!)

Why buzz in an IS when you can swish (ooh, get you!) in a limo? :D

Lexus have models that suit younger folks looking for a sportier drive, to the upmarket country set, and even the older folks who want to waft around in sheer luxury. All models offer superior refinement to their competitors, and are cheaper to run than their German rivals. For 15k the best value for money is the LS range, since they depreciate far more heavily than the smaller models, yet they offer huge amounts of kit. However, all Lexi have a far higher spec than any German rival. Most people on this site own an IS of some sort, so you will find lots of advice regarding these cars if that's what interests you.

Mileage is not a problem with regard to engine/gearbox and interiors. The LS and GS models get stainless steel exhausts which last the life of the car. Like any car, you will find that it's the suspension that starts to get soggy with high mileage, but that's the same with any brand of car. Warning: LS and GS models with worn suspensions are VERY expensive to fix.

Avoid the dealers if you want the best prices. There are lots of DIY tutorials out there if anything does go wrong, despite lack of Haynes manuals.

Since the cars tolerate abuse and high mileage so well, be very, very careful when selecting a car. Watch out for clocked cars! Some owners assume that since the car is so reliable they can skip out on maintenance, which leads to big problems down the line.

If you get a well looked after car, you will be smiling.

If you get a neglected car, you will be forever throwing money on it.

Keep an eye out for cars for sale that are owned by members of this club. We all love our cars and take care of them much more than your ordinary motorist.

IS200SE 12/99 had it for 3 years, never had anything go wrong that was not down to me -- like crashing it.

Get one. But try for a sport with styling kit (saves on some mods)

Only thing you'll have a problem with is parting with it in a few years, because you'll struggle to find anything in the same band that compares overall.

Rich

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links