Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Slow Fuel Filling

I appear to have a problem when refueling my IS200. It takes ages to fill the tank due to the petrol pump clicking off as if my tank is full, the only way I can fill up is to push the nozzle hard into the filler neck and squeeze the trigger gently.

Is this normal or do I have a venting problem perhaps.

As the car came with a full tank of fuel I would have expected the dealership to have noticed and corrected it if it is a problem. <_<

Any thoughts

Have you tried another petrol station? I have had this problem at certain filling stations but others work fine. I remember one where I wanted to fill the car up, but by £20 I was just totally fed up of it continually stopping and gave up.

Some people have found that if you either rotate the nozzle to the left a bit or pull it out slightly that helps.

Let us know how you get on!

Thanks for the input.

I use the same 4 petrol stations that are either local or on my way to work. I use BP for the Nectar points and I have never had a problem with my last cars and the other 3 cars in my household.

At least I am not alone in this and I will try the 180 degree fill up next time to see if that works and watch the faces of other people in the garage.

It can be a pain in the rear because it delays me that little bit longer from driving the beauty.

I appear to have a problem when refueling my IS200. It takes ages to fill the tank due to the petrol pump clicking off as if my tank is full, the only way I can fill up is to push the nozzle hard into the filler neck and squeeze the trigger gently.

I have this problem if I do push the nozzle hard into the filler neck.

I find that only putting the nozzle in halfway work for for me.

If you picture a petrol station nozzle - it has a slight kink in it yeah, about halfway down - about a 30 degree drop?

I just put it into the kink - and find it fills no problem.

This is a Shell garages btw

Kind of on the same subject this...

A couple of years ago I was on a Market research thing where you go and talk about advertising and stuff, this one was on Shell as it goes and one of the questions involved what you thought was important.

One of their ideas was, "we keep our pumps maintained better so they dont click off prematurely" hmm certainly does seem to vary between filling stations...although my FTO was much worse for this and the Chevy doesnt do it at all ever!

anyone on here have a definitive answaer? :hocus-pokus: :hohoho: :hocus-pokus: :hohoho:

anyone on here have a definitive answaer? :hocus-pokus: :hohoho: :hocus-pokus: :hohoho:

funny you should ask

;)

Near the tip of the nozzle is a small hole, and a small pipe leads back from the hole into the handle. Suction is applied to this pipe using a venturi. When the tank is not full, air is being drawn through the hole by the vacuum, and the air flows easily. When gasoline in the tank rises high enough to block the hole, a mechanical linkage in the handle senses the change in suction and flips the nozzle off.

Here's a way to think about it -- you've got a small pipe with suction being applied at one end and air flowing through the pipe easily. If you stick the free end of the pipe in a glass of water, much more suction is needed, so a vacuum develops in the middle of the pipe. That vacuum can be used to flip a lever that cuts off the nozzle.

The next time you fill up your tank, look for this hole either on the inside or the outside of the tip.

must....

confesss.....

got it from here

Well matt! I was starting to thing you were really clever when you starting talking about a Venturi...

What guts me is i knew the answer... but I have not been following the thread.. so i could have looked real clever.. just for a moment! :yawn:

I have had the same troubles filling up. Newer petrol pumps seem to pump faster and that's a problem in itself, but I've found in the past with other cars and now the IS that turning the handle towards the cap door helps.

Pity that self service is expected evferywhere these days! :lol:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links