Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d Rear View Mirror

I have had my first distance drive in my new IS today and noticed the rear view mirror vibrates badly between 1-2000 revs does anyone else have this problem or do i have to take it to be fixed? It's bad enough to need to check the wing mirrors to confirm it's safe to overtake. Other than this my only other quible was a lose gear knob which i tightened up myself and an inability for the car to remain clean!!! should have had a lighter colour i think!!

I have had my first distance drive in my new IS today and noticed the rear view mirror vibrates badly between 1-2000 revs does anyone else have this problem or do i have to take it to be fixed? It's bad enough to need to check the wing mirrors to confirm it's safe to overtake. Other than this my only other quible was a lose gear knob which i tightened up myself and an inability for the car to remain clean!!! should have had a lighter colour i think!!

Same here with the rear view - Its odd but I'm getting used to it :wacko:

If anyone has any suggestions??

The mirror problem affects us all I think. Mine vibrates pretty badly at low revs and then the stereo affects it as well!

The wing mirrors are big enough to compensate though which is lucky!

The mirror problem affects us all I think. Mine vibrates pretty badly at low revs and then the stereo affects it as well!

The wing mirrors are big enough to compensate though which is lucky!

Ditto. There are 2 ball joints holding the mirror. I think Roonaldo had a possible fix by wiggling the upper joint, but this has failed to date on mine... Time for Super Glue :P

Jamboo,

What solution do Lexus offer?

Tel :driving:

I've not asked mate, not had the time yet, but I need to pop it in again to make sure they know what the gear box switch is and whether mine needs an adjustment...sometimes it's grawnchy...but smooth...sort of 1970's Austin Mini sounding between 1st to 2nd....

It's irritating, but I can live with the mirror situation as it's shakey but those big "ears" make up for it anyway!!

I never get to use 6th...even at 75 it seems no good RPM at that speed still toolow but its keeps the mirror happy to use 5th

alan

It will improve with miles - wait till 1500+ miles and then 75 (even 65-70 with gentle driving) feels better.

the gearbox adjustement makes the box change from night to day..A VERY smooth change now Only those recently built have the tolerance switch at the maximum to allow for this( so the workshop manager told me)BUt all can be done

alan

• 8 months later...

Thread back from the dead :D

I test drove a 220 on Saturday, as i'm considering it for a company car and noticed within a few miles that the rear view mirror was shaking.

I put it down to a quirk with that particular car, but reading these forums i'm concerned that the problem afflicts all 220's. Is this really the case?

Will be really disappointed if so, as they can affix the mirror without this problem to a 8k Yaris, why can't they get it right with a 25k luxury car.

I think it's a problem that goes away with time, mine used to vibrate a lot from the engine but now it only shakes if the stereo is turned up loud and the sub is kicking in B) . The engines seem to take a lot of time to settle in, mine is still getting smoother and it's done 16k now!

I think it's a problem that goes away with time, mine used to vibrate a lot from the engine but now it only shakes if the stereo is turned up loud and the sub is kicking in B) . The engines seem to take a lot of time to settle in, mine is still getting smoother and it's done 16k now!

It does improve over time. Mines on 8000 miles and it vibrates 50% of what it used to. Boy it's a rough engine when runnin' in! It does get "lighter" and "smoover" with the miles...

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Seems a little odd that Lexus would let something go on sale with such a fundamental problem, I mean it's not as if you aren't going to notice it.

Will probbaly look at it a bit closer with an extended test drive.

My 220d has done 22k now and the mirror rattle seemed to stop by 10k except when you turn that amazing stereo up really loud.

Still no rattles (unlike my BMW friends).

I didnt like those door mirrors at first but when you jump into another car, *** you miss them.

One strange thing though and I realise its not related to this thread but when my car went in for its 20k service, I have being asked to bring it back in to check the oil consumption before I reach 23k as there has being some isolated problems with them. Dealer would not elaborate on this though. I am taking the car in friday 23rd.

I didnt like those door mirrors at first but when you jump into another car, *** you miss them.

One strange thing though and I realise its not related to this thread but when my car went in for its 20k service, I have being asked to bring it back in to check the oil consumption before I reach 23k as there has being some isolated problems with them. Dealer would not elaborate on this though. I am taking the car in friday 23rd.

We've just bought a Nissan Note which has rather large ears too...

On the oil note :lol: , I hope that Toyota haven't made yet another engine with oil consumption problems - just go to the Toyota Avensis forums...you'll see what I mean! The VVT's suck oil after a state of mileage. Was your's low when they emptied the sump? Sounds like it - hence they want you back in 3000 miles...in which case yep - keep an eye on it!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links