Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

More On 220d Fuel Economy

Haf

I just had my 220d serviced for 10k and it seems to have comeback with much bettter economy. The garage (via leasing company) say they did a standard 10k service and not aware of any reason why fule economy would be much better - other than it gets better with mileage.

My normal 180mile run from warwick to heathrow used to give me 45-47mpg driving in a economic manner but yesterday i got 55mpg. Most of the driving was 70mph cruising in 6th gear. I think another factor i sthat recently 6th gear has become more useable at lower speeds.

ANyway I am know pretty happy with my mpg

Most of the driving was 70mph cruising in 6th gear

do you have sport ratio in the transmision or the classic?

I have the classic and it looks like that at 70mph I would have less than 1700rpm...

I gear to 6th only when driving over 90mph - when I have 2000rpm. When I have less rpm, it makes very deep sound.

I have only 2200kms on the clock (1370miles) so maybe that is the reason.

Jamboo,

yes it was a 10k service by lexus coventry. Unfortunatly as its a lease car its all handled by the leasing company so I never get told of what was done, how much etc

Matus,

its a standard 220d (not sport) and my 6th gear also used to be only any good above 80-85mph. As I did more mileage it got better and now is OK 65mph onwards (1600rpmish) which is deal for cruising down the motorways.

For continuity this ought to go on the "...Economy fix #" thread, but my local will be taking mine in tomorrow for the Injector mod.

My local dealer called me today, as promised a few weeks ago :D , to arrange this. Maybe they have some more information regarding this issue now :question: - I will ask tomorrow.

I did ask if this really would make a difference and the garage have told me that it should and they wouldn't change an injector out just for exploratory purposes at this stage. So here's to hoping!!

I'll keep you posted.

just a note, last week i baught deisel from an unfranchised dealer at 99.9 cent a litre thinking i was getting a great deal, economy dropped to 6.9 litres per 100 km, bout 40 mpg, went back to texeco where diesel costs 1 euro 2 cent and economy returned to 5.6 litres per 100 km, close to 50 mpg. buddy of mine reckons the cheap stuff from unfranchised dealers can be mixed with parifen which really burns through th engine when you put the boot down

Well, I had asked for an explanation from my dealer, and eventually they came back to to advise that there is no formal instruction. I believe that is the case but will know more tomorrow.

I was told that the dealer would contact me if anything more "developed" and out of the blue I got a call today to say a couretsy car is available and they have an injector in stock.

I did ask whether it was a poke and hope, and I was assured that it would be changed unless they thought it of benefit. What I will do is ask some questions tomorrow...

PS - it's only #5 that they are changing, NOT the whole row!

Just finished my tank of diesel (indicator showing 5 miles fuel left) and have achieved my best run of 680miles. Of which 480 were motorway cruising, 100 were A roads and 100 innercity (london and birmingham).

Not bad at all I would say - all though obviously i was dribing very carefully most of the time at low rpm's. It would be interesting to see if anyone has beaten 680 out of a tank and average mpg of around 55mpg. I reckon 700 is achieveable so will see what i can do next time i am doing a lot of motorway runs.

Injector changeout. Now I need to drive it on a run. Won't be for a couple of weeks!!

In the meantime, courtesy car was IS250SE Auto...what a car!

Averaged 34.3mpg, Leic to Nottingham return, mix of speed and traffic. Not bad for a 2.5 V6 Auto. Very smooth indeed, '56 plate and the seat squeaked!

Anyway, much less road noise (it was on Sprtmaxx's).

The only downside was that the 2.5 didn't feel as quick as the diesel in the mid range - little ooomph when overtaking, even at kickdown or tip mode!!

Injector changeout. Now I need to drive it on a run. Won't be for a couple of weeks!!

In the meantime, courtesy car was IS250SE Auto...what a car!

Averaged 34.3mpg, Leic to Nottingham return, mix of speed and traffic. Not bad for a 2.5 V6 Auto. Very smooth indeed, '56 plate and the seat squeaked!

Anyway, much less road noise (it was on Sprtmaxx's).

The only downside was that the 2.5 didn't feel as quick as the diesel in the mid range - little ooomph when overtaking, even at kickdown or tip mode!!

Once you get used to the 250 SE Auto, you can really get the most out of it. I find that keeping the revs about 4800rpm lets you get the most out of the engine

You're right - most petrol drivers who drive the diesel would probably think the diesel was sluggish too, yet us who have had it a while know how to make it fly!!

It comes down to your driving style.

I have to say though, for a matter of just 10 odd MPG, you have to question whether the petrol auto is better than an manual diesel - I think it actually could be overall. Maybe I'm getting older!

It was such a relaxing cruiser. But then, where do you stop? The GS300 is quieter, bigger and more refined...

Well done Lexus!

OK - couldn't wait;

used the Lexus as a shopping trolley for 3 days (incl today). 32 miles, all in town and heavy traffic, largely lots of cold starts etc. So I would say worst case towny test since the Injector changeout.

Result?

Smoother running when warmed (noticeably) and economy is 28.7mpg on BP normal Diesel on the "tank ave". The car was brimmed + 8 miles the night before the service.

Overall, not much difference to before on the economy alone, but just spoken to the garage and giving it a motorway run will be the best test. That'll be the weekend then!

My local dealer has only done a couple of cars, so it'll be good to see if there is a discernible difference or not on mine, and whether the intermittent poor economy is attributable to the Injector or not.

Here's to hoping!

UPDATE after 5th Injector changeout:

Quick trek down to Kent at the weekend - Bluewater Shopping Centre, and visit relatives in Kent:

Total journey = 272 miles return in one day:

MPG = 39.9mpg for Tank, however it had done 92 miles in town (averaging 30.8mpg, lots of short "cold engine" trips) when we left.

On the way back, it was late at night, not much traffic. Other then 2 sets of speed restrictions for Roadworks (M25 and M1) the car was sitting on cruise at 73mph (which I know is 70mph actual - as confirmed by GPS) for over 100 miles in 6th. I'd reset the average MPG trip when we hit the M25 and by the time we got home the reading for that leg of the journey was 49.9 mpg.

So I reckon that the Injector changeout hasn't made any real discernible difference in the MPG stakes. What is seems to have done, however, is made the car much "fleeter in foot", the engine smoothness has increased somewhat, by at least 30% I reckon.

Before, with the engine switched on (normal tempt), you could stand at the back of the car and hear a deep sound, like a blowing exhaust. Now it's much quieter.

I've also noticed that the "flat spot" between 1st and 2nd gear has improved. It makes for a much more refined car, and yes it does feel much more like the Sport now.

So my summary (based on my own findings) is that if you think you're getting poor economy, you should try different branded/unbranded fuels. |T|he injector changeout should be completed IF your garage recommends it (mine did) based on your individual car.

For whatever reason (more so than any car I've had before) my 220d prefers the branded stuff. Dunno why, maybe it's the additives etc, but from my personal experience it seems to give slightly better economy (10ish%). Again, you need to try and experiment to see the impact of this with your driving style and conditions - and it might not work for all.

The injector changout may, in some cases, helps smoother running. I'll be calling my local Lexus garage today to let them know what my findings are.

Just for the record, my Auto has returned an excellent 31.5 mpg in a 950 mile sprint to Amsterdam & back:the mid-range acceleration is rapid IF you kick-down fast &/or have to brake hard in cruise mode & hit the resume mode.

Compared with the previous IS Auto -models,the Kick-down facility has to be pushed into play quite firmly to trigger change down in the 80-100mph band.

Tel :driving:

Hi all

My first Lex post, interested in fuel figures I have a 220D SE six months old with 6k on the clock.

I have a mix of motorway and town driving with a very heavy right foot and am only getting 38mpg.

I have spoken to my Canterbury dealer and they say it will get better !

I will persue the injector route and see if anything can be done.

Love the car to death after the Volvo S60 Sport D. but just a few niggles...Interior mirror has a mind of it own never had a dancing interior mirror Lexus say thats normal (have fitted a long golf tee to the mirror and glass)that fixed it.

Turbo lag took a bit of getting used to but is getting better but is still that not good.

Also second gear can be a problem on many occasions.

My overall view of the car is a solid built quiet and comfortable ride.

What is the basis for the mileage/consumption figures that individuals quote from time to time.

I have been in the habit (for years, starting when I had to present information in relation to business expenses) of keeping accurate records of mileage and petrol purchases. Having done a few miles in my IS250 now, one of the things that this record keeping seems to show is that the dashboard display of overall consumption is definitely optimistic.

This morning, the display is showing an overall average of 30.5 mpg - the reality, based upon measured mileage and petrol purchases, is 28.34 mpg.

My 220SE is 200 miles on the clock, took it out last week to Leeds, mostly b road then a bit on the A1, it returned 33.9mpg, it will be a long while before i can run the car in as i dont expect to do more than 5000 miles a year with it for the time being anyway!! we shall see, but i have to say i enjoyed every mins of it, and dont regret of getting the IS at all... :) :)

Is that all you 220d owners are getting 31/39mpg :o

Im getting well over 42+mpg out of the 330d :o :D

Gord,

that was my point for ages. I don't know of another diesel (even an S320CDi that my unc has) where you have to try hard to get a reasonable MPG.

Having said that, I believe that this engine is unbelievably tight when new. There is a stepped improvement at approx 5000 miles, and the Coventry dealer told me the same happens at 10,000 miles too, when achieving 45mpg becomes the norm.

The other point to note is that this engine has a massive amount of torque for it's size, possibly nearing your 330d, but the delivery is narrowish. So you end up in the wrong gear all too easily, and sometime embarrassingly.

The final point is that mine certainly has a dislike to cheaper fuels. I've now stopped using my local Sainsbo's, and am using BP or Shell standard (not Ultimate or V), and I reckon it can be worth 10% more economy.

My journey from Kent was testament that you can (at least in mine) get a reasonable economy figure if you're patient, use Cruise and try and stick to the speed limit - which in this car is a night mare. It's so d@mn refined that if you're not carefull you're in licence loss speeds!

What is the basis for the mileage/consumption figures that individuals quote from time to time.

I have been in the habit (for years, starting when I had to present information in relation to business expenses) of keeping accurate records of mileage and petrol purchases. Having done a few miles in my IS250 now, one of the things that this record keeping seems to show is that the dashboard display of overall consumption is definitely optimistic.

This morning, the display is showing an overall average of 30.5 mpg - the reality, based upon measured mileage and petrol purchases, is 28.34 mpg.

I've found that the trip is reasonably accurate on the IS, only being out by 1 or 2 MPG at most, so it's good enough for me.

I suspect that if you coast a lot more (i.e. in an auto) the trip computer could read artificially higher.

...Interior mirror has a mind of it own never had a dancing interior mirror Lexus say thats normal (have fitted a long golf tee to the mirror and glass)that fixed it.

Any pictures? Please don't patent it! :duh:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links