Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Something Has Appears Under The Bonnet

waddy

Well then chaps - some knew and some didn't, I like to keep these things quiet until they happen as my usual luck is to rave about something and then it doesn't materialise :yawn:

Fortunately this one did :D (Apologies for the gash pictures but they were taken with my phone as i forgot my camera :rolleyes: )

Last weekend (combined with a weekend away walking ooop that there north) i picked up a little box of toys (which contained a TTE Supercharger, Greddy Catch can, Supercharger induction pipe and de-catted manifold) Thank you Mr Gord

Image076.jpg

I set about the fitting process on Friday, off comes the bumper ...

Image077.jpg

The actual process of fitting is very simple, it's just the time it takes to do stupid things like take threaded stud out of awkward locations and fiddling the pipe through the engine bay and around pulleys and hosing.

Supercharger cradle bolted in position - this alone took 3 attempts to get the studs done up in the right order, it is such a tight fit - get a bolt done up in the wrong order and another wont go in :angry:

Image078.jpg

Supercharger on the cradle - this is after the aux pulled has been bolted to the main crank to run the little beast, add the belt and hey presto...

Image079.jpg

Here is a view from the front, notice the throttle butterfly on the right hand side - the pipework runs from the bottom of the charger, underneath to the intercooler and the back up to be fed into the inlet.

Image080.jpg

This pic is after the main pipework has been run through, notice the catch can is now in and also the induction pipe and HKS filter, throttle assembly for the charger is also in place and the throttle housing is now in..

Image081.jpg

Front view before the intercooler was fitted..

Image082.jpg

This is after the intercooler was fitted, holes were drilled and it was located..

Image083.jpg

The last op was re-fitting the front bumper (which was a royal pain in the arse). The smallest job was fitting the ecu extension. Thing is the ecu is put in with 5 star security screws (not 6's as everyone else uses and I had) I even phoned Toyota in St Ives to see if i could borrow theirs but the jobsworth planks wouldn't even let me have them - they told me they have to be kept under lock and key - lying bellends.

I eventually got the studs out :whistling:

The car now flies although it doesn't seem as quick as i remember from Aido's?!! :huh:

If I fitted another one i could do it in half the time but the first is always a learning curve.

Ooh Very nice Mark :D You certainly kept that quiet. You do realise it doesn't stop there though mate :lol:

The s/c also looks very shiny indeed. Has it been polished? Is that a Nemesis sticker on it? Is it Pete Jenkins old one? As his was polished..

Ooh Very nice Mark :D You certainly kept that quiet. You do realise it doesn't stop there though mate :lol:

The s/c also looks very shiny indeed. Has it been polished? Is that a Nemesis sticker on it? Is it Pete Jenkins old one? As his was polished..

It is Pete's old one - which I got off of Gord - right deal at the right time and all that :shifty:

The modding needs to stop for a while - I need to save some money :lol: I have too many other hobbies - it's shooting season now so money goes on cartridges and shooting toys :blush:

Looking good mate, and well done for fitting it yourself! How long did it take you?

Did you get those lips fitted mate? Looks like a TTE rear lip in that first photo! I don't remember you posting up any pics! Obviously hard to tell with the front with the bumper being missing and all... :huh:

Are there any modifications required to a standard car to fit one of them, or is it just plug and play?

Yes I did get them on fella...

P9230004.jpg

P9230002.jpg

The charger is pretty much plug and play - a little modification required to one of the bars on a cooling fan, the under-tray and a couple of bumper clips need snipping but it's nothing anyone would notice when the car goes back to standard.

Took about 6 hours in all - but 50% of that was the learning curve - could do another one no probs - have the know how now :winky:

@ Kaz - not as quick as i remembered but it is definatley quicker - all pipes and clips are tight so not too sure if i am losing bosst or what - flies like the wind anyway so not too bothered :D Can't get over everyone looking when I change gear - the induction certainly amplifies the sound - proper funny.

@ Mike - soz for not saying owt fella but it all happened a bit quickly :blush:

all you need now is a ************* ( aido knows!) for a lot more useable power - works for me anyway and the sound is extreme with the induction!

found bumper is easy to remove and fit!

WHEN U MEANT TO BE COMING OVER - OR HAVE U BEEN ALREADY???

all you need now is a ************* ( aido knows!) for a lot more useable power - works for me anyway and the sound is extreme with the induction!

found bumper is easy to remove and fit!

WHEN U MEANT TO BE COMING OVER - OR HAVE U BEEN ALREADY???

Pray tell on the ************ MSN is loud_quiksilver@hotmail.com :winky:

Were due to come over in August but didn't in the end fella - thought i'd explained? :blink: :duh: Obviously not - memory like a sieve :yawn:

TTE rear lip is plug and play mate. As is the TRD stuff too :)

I was talking about the super charger, mate... I was just asking about the lips because he bought them off me! :D

Looks good, waddy. Does the supercharger make the car much louder or is all that down to the induction? Is the induction compulsory for the super charger? Or the decatted manifold?

I'm asking a lot of questions because I've been thinking the car needs more power now it's been lowered and stiffened. I'm considering getting one myself! Long way off yet though... :winky:

I think it is just loud because of the induction kit mate - Lee or Kaz will be able to answer the loudness question as they both have the TTE air box.

I decided my life wouldn't be complete without the induction kit after I heard it on Aido's :lol:

TBH I haven't fitted the fanimold yet as the bolts were welded to buggary underneath - It is a 1/2 hour job when I can be bothered - just need to get the car over the pit down the farm. Not necessary but helps air flow.

Looking good Mark, fingers crossed mine will be all polished up like that by christmas.

As Bazza said it is definatly the induction kit that makes the noise. The only noise you'll hear on mine is the BOV type noise when you change gear at 6000rpm.

Induction kit is not compulsory, I wasn't too keen on the extra noise so stuck with the TTE airbox.

I think Aido still had his pre-cats in when his was supercharged, think its recommended that you remove them though.

This is my car with TTE airbox

Lap of ring

and this is bazza's with inducton kit, sounding like a hairdryer ;)

Lap of ring

Haha I got a namecheck in this thread :D

So what excuses did you use with Tracey to get this then fella?

All looking good anyway, to be honest I always thought you were a bit of a spacker and that you'd never get it fitted right but it's all looking good :P

Glad that you've finally got it sorted anyway, how was the camping weekend?

Just trying to think why it doesn't feel as quick as mine - the obvious reason is that you're becoming a bit of a porker and obviously a car with a porker and not a fine figure of a man like me is going to be slower :P

I did notice with mine when I had the twin exhausts fitted that I gained more torque low down, although it did seem more restrictive at the top end, saying that though it wasn't really a problem as you don't get the chance to do > 110 leptons that often :D

You'll have to give us a shout next time you're up and we'll go for a spin.

Like the guys have already said make sure that everything is done tight, you also have the possibility that the supercharger belt is slipping slightly, I'm guessing it's at full tension already?

Maybe look at getting a new belt for it if you haven't already, Dave has them in stock I think?

I changed the air filter on mine from the HKS one to the Apexi one, both have similar airflow but the Apexi is better at filtration, and also it would look better in your engine bay seeing as it's all red!

The only way to check if it is all ok is via a boost guage, I never had one when I had my IS SC'd but I've got one on the Aristo now and I can't take my eyes of it :D

As for the precats, yeah it's a winner removing them, I never did to be honest and I covered 30,000 miles with the supercharger fitted and never had a problem, although from what I read on here it's when you're doing sustained high speeds that they take the biggest hammering and on the roads round here you never really got the chance to do that!

I've had a few beers so I can't remember if I said this already, but you did reset the ECU, right?

That made a massive difference to my car, you could feel the difference straight away in how the car pulled!

See you soon pal and congratulations, can't wait for you to take me out for a spin to let me reminsce about the good old days, my neighbours will hate it the second you drive down my road :lol:

Ignore Mr Padden - to the contrary I am not a mechanical numpty - I have been tinkering with engines on the farm since I have been little.

Next project is a complete strip down of our Land Rover Defender (when I have finished shooting for the season).

In all honesty though the s/c fitting isn't that much hassle - it's just a matter of following the process.

I'm going to have a fiddle with the bypass valve on the charger and see what that brings.

I always expected it to be quicker to for some reason. When I was losing boost and often any S/C benfit at all it seems sooooooo sluggish!

Looks really good anyway mate. May have to think about getting mine polished!

On another quick note, if you havent got one already, email TTE and get them to send you another black piggy back ECU. Mine went and caused the car to cut out more or less straight away after ignition.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links