Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Well heres the story - jumped into the Lex yesterday morning and turned the key. Was gobsmacked to hear just a couple of clicks. After about three turns of the key it turned over and started.

Did the same this morning and again this evening after work.

There are no dash lights on and no signs of any problems once started. When driven it will restart ok.

It's obviously a starter or Battery problem but which I am not sure.

What do you guys reckon.

I suspect I probably need a new Battery cos the one on the car was on it when I bought it 4 years ago and it looks very much like an original Toyota one - has the condition indicator thingy but I can't make out if it is showing blue or red.

Before I shell out for a new Battery how can I test it. I have a multi-meter.

Could well be the starter, not the Battery, no way of checking the Battery with just a multi meter, take it into kwik fit or similar for a Battery check (they do them free of charge)

Does sound like a lazy starter though.

P.S them condition indicators are only that, as they only show the condition of one cell.

Hi

Thanks for that. Some useful info.

I cant quite make out what my problem is.

When I turn key to start when car has been standing overnight I just get a click. After about three turns it will eventually turn over. When run and stopped for a short period it will restart ok.

Seemds to me like a solenoid type problem.

Just need to check some wiring connections to verify.

Hi Keith

I'd suspect the Battery 1st. Like previous poster its the cheaper of the options. Mine had exact same symptoms when Battery had expired, and as its large capacity it seems to hang on to a bit of life after its due for the bin.

That cold spell we had at the end of last week would have been enough to put it into intensive care if it was on its last legs methinks

regs

Paul

Thanks for the replies chaps.

The problem appears to be a mixture of the two, Battery and starter.

My Battery is on its last legs and the starter motor is not properly engaging.

Had to call the AA out after work to get me started the other night. They used a huge boost starter and the starter would not engage properly eventually got it started but its gone again and the car is stuck on my drive.

Its due a service on Friday so looks like another AA job to get it going so I can get it to the garage.

I am pleased to hear that the starters are rebuildable though I understand they are a bugger to remove.

Now I am confused!

Car had service and MOT today.

New (proper Jap Toyota) Battery fitted and started with no trouble at all and symptoms of poor and non-starting are no more.

Sailed through MOT with an advisory on my HiD 4300K converted head lights which the tester said were too blue! but he was happy with a front tyre that was missing a chunk of rubber about the size of a 10p coin from the rim protection area of the tyre.

Anyway I am not complaining 'cos fingers crossed I have got another years happy motoring to look forward to.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links