Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Possible Scam On A Used Car?

A.J

Hi all,

Iv come across a curious situation while looking to get a new car for the family. Basically i found one on autotrader at an excellent price (for a luxury car) and upon contacting the seller i recieved this response:

Hi Aj,

The car is still for sale. A great car, never implied in any accident, in excellent condition with full service history. My job put me on the way to England and I purchased this car there. Now I have to sell it as I've got back home in Czech Republic. The car is here as well. The final price is £ XXXXX + shipping to your door. For an accurate shipping cost please include your shipping address in your next email.

As you probably noticed, the price is rather low. But since it's a right hand drive car, not even a dealer will offer me a better price here. The fact that it's still UK registered did not help either.

I am the registered keeper and there is no outstanding finance on the vehicle. The car is in excellent condition, the bodywork is immaculate, no scratches, dents or hidden defects as well as the interior in excellent non-smoking condition.

Due to amount involved and due the fact I am not located in United Kingdom, I only accept third party transaction mediator. All documents, including V5 log book on your name will be provided along with the car.

Please email me soon if you want to move forward and let me know if you need anything else.

All the best!

So it looks like the guys willing to take a several grand hit to avoid having to come back here and sell it.

What do you think-possible scam? worth requesting a bit more info?

Could be geniune, could be a scam - impossible really to tell. My advice, go with your gut feeling - it's usually right. There are plenty of other cars around to buy if you get the heebiejeebies about that one..

Go withyour feeling "luke" - use the force :winky: it is most liky a scam read a few and came across one my self when selling brothers Merc.. trying to pay me in smogled Diamonds from somewhere in africa.. the thing was they were here and meet me alwas in a public place (great) on two occations. said they want to buy it for there dad in Nigera and he is sending them the Diamond over in a day or two.. and they wanted to export the car.. i said Cash upfront and take the keys, they started to umm and Arr. :excl: .smelled a rat and walked away.

Go with Gut feelings no matter how good the deal sounds... You might turn up to collect and they could be waiting with a few guys and guns and clean you out :tsktsk: :tsktsk: heard this been done in Liverpool to someone locally here by some Gypo's (not all are the same mind you). he was leaft high and dry and 10k down + the car he when down in and all c/cards etc... :duh:

Not scaring you but be carefull..

dibslpg

Go with Gut feelings no matter how good the deal sounds... You might turn up to collect and they could be waiting with a few guys and guns and clean you out :tsktsk: :tsktsk: heard this been done in Liverpool to someone locally here by some Gypo's (not all are the same mind you). he was leaft high and dry and 10k down + the car he when down in and all c/cards etc... :duh:

Not scaring you but be carefull..

dibslpg

:offtopic: Yes they are, just in different forms - not all as extreme as that. TGB's (thieving gypsy b******s) are all out to get something for nothing - be it benefits, stealing lead, not paying taxes and so on. There is a gypo camp in my town (in the slums area) and every time I drive through it (doors locked and windows up) I see some of the TGB's on their camp - and they've all got nice new cars - they haven't done a proper days work and paid into the economy in their lives. Sickening.

may well be a scam and sounds like one - but may not be...... thing that i noticed is the "+ shipping to your door" ask who with and which 3rd party they want to use - if its western union walk away .

if he/she knew they were going back why did nt they sell if befopre they left..

I came across something very similar for a BMW bike - that was a scam.

tell them u have a mate not too far away and they wil look at the car 4 u ask for VIN number and reg also.

Here is a copy and paste of an email I received a while ago when trying to sell a car. Needless to say I didn't contact him back!

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am interested in purchasing this vehicle ,it suits my requirements perfectly,I run two garages ,one in Dublin and the other in

the Netherlands, i shuffle most of my time between the two .

THESE ARE MY TERMS OF TRANSACTION:

1) I AM OKAY WITH THE STATED PRICE OF £11,695.

2) I WILL BE PAYING WITH A BANKER'S DRAFT / CHEQUE WHICH I WILL ALLOW TO CLEAR BEFORE THE PICKUP/SHIPMENT

OF THE CAR.

3) I WILL INCLUDE FEES FOR SHIPMENT IN PAYMENT, THIS MY SHIPPING AGENCY WILL USE FOR PICK-UP.

The excess funds will go towards covering costs for shipping,shippers fees,insurance,tax and any other expenses that might be

incurred getting it down to the new owner.

I will want you to get in touch with the following details if my terms are okay:

FULL NAME............................

ADDRESS........................

TELEPHONE NUMBERS...................(Mobile and Land)

As soon as i have your details,i can have payment effected immediately,all things being equal,we should have this wrapped up by the

end of this week.

Pls note that you'll have to send on the balance on the funds that you'll get to my shipper so he can come attend to the pick up as soon

as you make the car ready.

I beleive that most transaction are based on trust,so i will look forward to a succesful transaction with you.

Best Regards,

Wayne Terry.

The Scam works as follows.

Wayne Terry will send you a bankers draught for £13,695. This amount will be shown as being paid into your account. You send him the excess £2000 from your account. Nobody will come to pick the car up. One month later, the bank will inform you that the bankers draught was in fact stolen or a forgery and debit your account for £13,695. You still have the car but unfortunately you are £2000 light in your account.

Nearly all these e-mails come from abroad and if you Google the name you will probably find the name involved in other scams.

cheers for the replies...

tell them u have a mate not too far away and they wil look at the car 4 u ask for VIN number and reg also.

...good point -any loc members in the Czech Republic!?lol

Twas on autotrader my good man

...i think thats why i was entertaining the idea more but on second thoughts i doubt the screening on autorader is any better than eBay...

I think im just gonna email the guy the following questions and see how quickly and efficiently he replies - and then look in to getting a data check:

- Where did you live/work when you were in the UK?

- Why did you not sell the car before leaving to go abroad?

- What is the registration plate number on the car?

- What is the VIN number?

- Who would you be looking to ship the car with?

- What/who do you mean by a third part transaction mediator?

...i have to say though on looking more closely at cars of a similar spec, the price hes offering is closer to a £15K+ drop - and who wouldnt take a long road trip for that!lol

will keep you guys updated on his response :)

hi guys,

i emailed her all the questions i mentioned above (... surprised it was a she- wonder if it makes a difference!) - and here is what she replied, sorry its a bit lengthy :

Hello Aj,

Thank you for the fast reply.

First of all, I am an incredibly honest person who appreciates and deserves honesty in return. All I ask for is honesty and respect. If you cannot provide that, than I have no interest in doing business with you.

It is not my intention to sound harsh.

Again, I reassure you, that I want both parties to be protected and to get what they are both looking for.

I lived and worked in London. I transported the vehicle in Czech Republic because I was aware of the registration and import taxes.

The registration number of the vehicle is XXXXXXXX, the CAR is HPI clear and it has no financial agreement on it. I understand your need to checkout the vehicle, you can do a vehicle check with the registration number, I am not to happy about giving out the vin/chassis number and the documents of the car ( for the moment ) due to vehicle identities being cloned. I will send the requested information immediately after the transaction will be confirmed.

In order to get a quote and send you the exact shipping costs you will be responsable with I need your full address. The car will be delivered to your door.

Due to amount involved, I suggest using the security provided by eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection Program, which is using bank accounts for handling payment. In my opinion this is the safest way to handle the transaction. You will have the car for inspection and test drive BEFORE any money is released to me. That's the eBay's procedure.

First of all, the vehicle will be insured during transit so no damage can occur. Don't worry about that.

Secondly, you will receive all appropriate documents along with the vehicle. Naturally, I will sign the section 8 in the V5 form so you can easily transfer the car into your name.

Thirdly, since I presume you are not familiar with eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection Program, I have briefly described the eBay transaction steps below:

1. Buyer, seller reach an agreement (price and delivery conditions)

2. Buyer sends money to eBay.

3. eBay confirms to seller that the amount has been received.

4. Seller performs the required services (shipping, insurance).

5. Buyer accepts delivery and informs eBay about the acceptance.

6. eBay releases the money to seller.

As you can see, you will receive the car BEFORE any money is released to me. You will get the chance to inspect it, test drive it and everything you like while your money is still safely held in eBay's account. ONLY after you confirm to eBay that you agree with the vehicle, they will release the money to me.

If, for some reason, you disagree with the car (I assure you that is NOT going to happen since my car is in IMMACULATE condition inside and out) it will be shipped back to me on MY EXPENSE and eBay will send you your money back.

From the moment you receive the car you have 15 days to inspect it. If is not like I said or something is not ok with it you can reject it and eBay will fully refund you and the vehicle will be shipped back to me, on my expense.

EBay will transfer the money to me, only after you will confirm, them the purchase of the vehicle. Until then, the money will be safe kept by eBay and not released to me.

The car will be shipped directly to your requested address, as soon as I will have the payment confirmation from eBay. EBay will hold the money until you will receive, inspect and accept the car.

If you wish to proceed further, I will need your complete name and eBay user ID, so I can start the transaction with eBay's Protection Program.

Let me know if we can get the ball rolling.

i have to say that has left me still quite unsure wheather i should proceed, especially this bit - its very vague: 'I transported the vehicle in Czech Republic because I was aware of the registration and import taxes. ' :wacko:

but i will do the hpi check today - if nothing else just out of curiousity...

please let me know if you guys have any other thoughts- and ill post anything interesting that the hpi turns up. :)

btw heres what iv found on eBay on car buyers protection - it seems they offer £20k car value cover on frauds!!

Why would somebody advertise on Autotrader and use eBay to make the payment. I would be very wary. I would not be happy to do this myself ....... as you still pay the money eBay ( real or fake ) before you even get a chance to see the car.

My next move would be to ask for an inspection over there and maybe a picture of something obscure on the car ( that days paper to the side of the reg plate ).

Curiosity says have you got her email address, is it a UK, Nigerian or Czech?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links