Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Disaster

cho

When i had my s/c fitted along with a Unichip at Tdi, it wasnt mapped on the dyno but instead the map was uploaded to the the chip.

The map i was told was from kierens car which was the first stage 1 s/c upgrade, i got 2 miles and the engine check light come on and car went into limp mode.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

See if they're still doing that thats the problem.

As stated many times before ever car is different i can understand if they load in that file then fine tune it on the dyno, but if they're using it as just a plug and play i personally think thats a bit dodgy.

Stav

As stated many times before ever car is different i can understand if they load in that file then fine tune it on the dyno, but if they're using it as just a plug and play i personally think thats a bit dodgy.

Stav

strange as it may seem Marc..............its not dodgy.............you would use the base map to save time then make subtle changes to suit the current vehicle

wud be dodgy if no more was done but I'd be surprised if the company in question did that

Stav

strange as it may seem Marc..............its not dodgy.............you would use the base map to save time then make subtle changes to suit the current vehicle

wud be dodgy if no more was done but I'd be surprised if the company in question did that

It was kind of the point i was trying to make sorry if it wasn't clear.

But i do agree with ya.

Stav

Not been on for a few days and had a 5 page read to catch up LoL.

Hope u can get it sorted without to much fuss mate.

As Gord said at the end of the day it could just be a weak con rod not sure if theres much of it left know but they maybe be able find fault with that.

If you where running 0.65 bar that is very high but then you say that u only had 195 @ hubs, which leads me to think u have the same set up as yemgi's car and u would be running the 0.4 ish bar set up. I think this is the point that needs to be answered asap.

I know the katana intercooler raises boost pressure a little which is whys its slightly higher than standard TTE but there would be no pulley involved with that.

Hope u get it sorted soon.

Yes I did, the car was running about 153 hp at the hubs before the upgrade.

Been trying to understand why you were only getting 153hp at the hubs with an S/C? When Vykers bog standard IS200 put out 132.5 at the hubs and about 159hp at the fly, so with an S/C fitted you were only getting around 20hp more?? Can anybody explain or am i being thick as all the S/C'ed Is200's i've seen, most are putting more than 153hp so why was your set up so low compared to the others :unsure::unsure: ?? Sorry if i'm getting in the way just trying to understand more on the power side of the upgrades as quite interested in the whole system so please dont all flame me at once?? :lol::blush:

Been trying to understand why you were only getting 153hp at the hubs with an S/C? When Vykers bog standard IS200 put out 132.5 at the hubs and about 159hp at the fly, so with an S/C fitted you were only getting around 20hp more?? Can anybody explain or am i being thick as all the S/C'ed Is200's i've seen, most are putting more than 153hp so why was your set up so low compared to the others :unsure::unsure: ?? Sorry if i'm getting in the way just trying to understand more on the power side of the upgrades as quite interested in the whole system so please dont all flame me at once?? :lol::blush:

If he had a boost leak like i used to, or a slipping belt then he wouldnt be getting the power he should be, so the low power was probley due to a bad fitment than anything else.

Stav

If he had a boost leak like i used to, or a slipping belt then he wouldnt be getting the power he should be, so the low power was probley due to a bad fitment than anything else.

Stav

surly that would have been picked up at the time of installation.

Thats one of the parts i cant get my head round?

If the car was running at 153hp and you gained 40hp after the setup, if it was not fitted right in the first place? then you had approx 33hp already sitting there which was then produced by re-fitting the s/c sytem correctly?? so why pay 5.5k for the extra 7 hp?? as the way i'm thinking of it is you've paid for something that you basically already had minus the 7hp?

Am i getting it or am i talking utter poo poo??

Cho mate i'm just trying to understand the logical side of whats happend so please dont take it the wrong way :)

The car was producing about 191 at the Fly with standard TTE setup. I had the car serviced at TDI and they diagnosed a slipping belt as the cause. This was fixed before the dyno run where the car produced 191 at the fly. After the stage 1 mods the car produced approx. 243 @ the Fly. TTE state the the supercharger takes power at the fly to 205BHP, so I thought there was a an adequate gain.

The car was producing about 191 at the Fly with standard TTE setup. I had the car serviced at TDI and they diagnosed a slipping belt as the cause. This was fixed before the dyno run where the car produced 191 at the fly. After the stage 1 mods the car produced approx. 243 @ the Fly. TTE state the the supercharger takes power at the fly to 205BHP, so I thought there was a an adequate gain.

Thanks for that mate i understand your setup better now :whistling: Good luck with getting it sorted and cheers for explaining it a bit more :D

you're in Leicester ain't you fella.....

I'm in loughborough myself......will have a word with a mechanic mate of mine and see if he can reccomend someone local to you

Thanks a lot mate, really appreciate it.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the report, you spend hundreds to get a nice report telling you the con-rod broke. Cause over stress, fatigue or maybe a combination of both. But you know that already. Contributory factor would be the fitting of a supercharger increasing loadings in the order of 35% above design loads. Really don't think that the report would place blame on a third party.

As many posts on here have said there a loads of S/C 1G-FE engines running 200ish BHP and I only know of 2 (including yours) that have had con-rod failures. As I posted way back statistically the rods will be perfectly OK at that level of torque/power and it would seem that your car was not significantly different in output. However if you are unlucky and have one of the weaker, but within limits for standard power, con-rods it may well fail. Just unlucky I would say.

Also from what I have read nothing that TDI did to the car would have contributed to the failure. The questions about value for money, incorrect mapping etc are valid though have no bearing on the damage done.

Save the money and put it towards the rebuild works mate. Sounds harsh but **** happens.

Quite right Gord, I am trying my best to get this info from TDI but they are unsure as to whether they have it?!?

hmm, sounds a little convenient....

why wouldn't they have it. surely they would have checked the boost pressure and have a written account of it etc.....

Quite right Gord, I am trying my best to get this info from TDI but they are unsure as to whether they have it?!?

Thats not correct.

you work out the boost you want by some calculation involving max engine rpm and max supercharger rpm that tells you the diameter pully you want.

I don't know the specifics but for the lysholm kit I'm doing I had to specify max rpm of car and max boost I wanted they then worked out the pully size to supply with the kit.

If what you are saying is correct Cho, then something is not right.

I can't believe that you have had a pully fitted and the company who fitted it cant say it was for .XX boost or .YY boost.

I'm also fairly (99%) confident that the data from the dyno session will tell you what boost and at what RPM max boost was achieved

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links