Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is 200 Neglect

Hi, i bought a black IS200 sport approx 2 years ago, which had full Lexus service history, was in showroom condition and had about 85k on the clock (now 105k), it was my pride and joy for 6 months but then i just saw it as a working vehicle like all the others, i still love the car but i feel like ive abused it, friends are saying things like "ive never felt sorry for a car before", im now at the stage where i want to revive the car to some sort of decent condition and working order to try and make up for 2 years off abuse, i want to do this as cheaply as possible.

The main area of neglect is the fact it has not been serviced since 30/11/05 79k, i was forced to get the oil changed as while driving it felt like the engine was resisting me and the engine was LOUD, the guy said after flushing it was very black still (will this have caused damage and is it now worth doing anything else now oil is changed?) if so whats a good price for all filters etc, as even non lexus garages seem expensive.

The second point is wheels, i have severely kerbed the wheels, i want to refurb/ exchange the wheels Lexus to an exhange system which comes to about 430 GBP fitted. The wheel guy from blackpool on eBay will do them for 240GBP fitted but without the machine finish id get from lexus?? is it worth another 200 for that? has anyone used this guy as i noticed another post on here saying to avoid him? One of my tyres is flat to 5psi?? this effects handling and performance, i dont want to put a tyre on one of his refurbs to have same problem if it is buckled etc.

The third is bodywork there is a few scatchs one on the front wing going to metal, and one going to undercoat, my rear bumper is hanging off on one side after a minor knock, this will clip back on but the corner is down to the fiberglass and the "shell" is not there, does anyone know if those SMART car repair guys who come to your house are capable of repairing that? as they seem to advertise just to get rid of scuffs / chips etc.

The other thing is i have the engine cooling fans permenently hard wired in, so they are always on as a sensor stopped working, will this be ok to leave?

Overall in your expert opinions based on the above information how much am i looking to pay to get sorted as i paid 6500 for it and looking at autotrader etc i can see examples in a lot better condition than mine with history etc going for about 4k, so another question is it worth it?

Cheers David. :)

At least you admit your mistakes, shame for what was a nice car.

If you are keeping it you must get cambelt changes and a good service so everything is checked for a safety point ( brakes etc. ). If you are driving with a tyre at 5 psi I suggest you shouldn't be driving at all - you are putting your life and others at risk.

That's all I'll say for now but I suspect you will end up paying over a grand to get it anything like reasonable again and may be better selling it as is and buying an old Mondeo as w work horse.

I am sure you will get some views from others.

Hi, i bought a black IS200 sport approx 2 years ago, which had full Lexus service history, was in showroom condition and had about 85k on the clock (now 105k), it was my pride and joy for 6 months but then i just saw it as a working vehicle like all the others, i still love the car but i feel like ive abused it, friends are saying things like "ive never felt sorry for a car before", im now at the stage where i want to revive the car to some sort of decent condition and working order to try and make up for 2 years off abuse, i want to do this as cheaply as possible.

The main area of neglect is the fact it has not been serviced since 30/11/05 79k, i was forced to get the oil changed as while driving it felt like the engine was resisting me and the engine was LOUD, the guy said after flushing it was very black still (will this have caused damage and is it now worth doing anything else now oil is changed?) if so whats a good price for all filters etc, as even non lexus garages seem expensive.

The second point is wheels, i have severely kerbed the wheels, i want to refurb/ exchange the wheels Lexus to an exhange system which comes to about 430 GBP fitted. The wheel guy from blackpool on ebay will do them for 240GBP fitted but without the machine finish id get from lexus?? is it worth another 200 for that? has anyone used this guy as i noticed another post on here saying to avoid him? One of my tyres is flat to 5psi?? this effects handling and performance, i dont want to put a tyre on one of his refurbs to have same problem if it is buckled etc.

The third is bodywork there is a few scatchs one on the front wing going to metal, and one going to undercoat, my rear bumper is hanging off on one side after a minor knock, this will clip back on but the corner is down to the fiberglass and the "shell" is not there, does anyone know if those SMART car repair guys who come to your house are capable of repairing that? as they seem to advertise just to get rid of scuffs / chips etc.

The other thing is i have the engine cooling fans permenently hard wired in, so they are always on as a sensor stopped working, will this be ok to leave?

Overall in your expert opinions based on the above information how much am i looking to pay to get sorted as i paid 6500 for it and looking at autotrader etc i can see examples in a lot better condition than mine with history etc going for about 4k, so another question is it worth it?

All i will say is if you look after the car ...the car will look after you!!!! simple as that.....! :angry:

I think we're all guilty at some stage for neglecting one thing or another, I like your honesty. Sounds to me you need to get rid and start again.

On another note could we have some pics please....it may start a new 'how knackered is your IS gallery'.

To start with because this post is so bad i was half expecting someone to put joke at the end but it never came!!

I cant believe you used a lexus as a 'working vehicle' from what you have described the car is a complete state and i hope you hang your head in shame!

I feel bad when i dont keep my car clean let alone a bumper hanging off and no service for 2 years :ohmy:

First things first PUT SOME PRESSURE IN THAT TYRE IT IS A DANGER. Then sell it and let someone who cares for cars to put the luv back into it to tidy it up and then you should buy a bus pass.

The only good thing that has come out of this is that it shows how solid the Lexus IS is as not many cars would came with only an oil change.

You say it's a working vehicle, in what way, a dustcart? :duh:

You've put on 20k miles in two years, this is under the normal average for most people.

My car is also a 'Working Vehicle' and is subjected to 25k miles per annum, although it's over 3 years old now it's condition is immaculate. :D and I don't pamper it :blink:

the guys come on here, admitted his mistakes and is looking for assistance. All anyone has done to this point is critasize him, shame on everyone for kicking a man while he's down, at least he's attempting to rectify his error.

Firstly, the cars have been know to drive for OVER 250,000 miles, so they are expertly built and as such you cant expect to do anything cheaply! Look around for parts though, and keep away from Lexus for bodywork including the alloys!

Take the car to Lexus, and get what i think is called a VSR done, it'll be £25 plus VAT but it's money well spent and will high light ALL that is wrong. Lexus will also price to do the work reguired. Next take it to an independant garage and ask what they would charge for the work. The sensor problem will probably be best sorted by Lexus though.

The guy in blackpool has received great reviews so i would go with him, you would save £210 straight away, once done get the tracking/allignment sorted as this is probably way out after the excess curbing.

Personally i would leave all body repairs to the end as the engine is the heart of the machine and without it the car is useless!

If you fancy a trip over to Leeds on Saturday I can meet up with you and take it to the garage I use when i dont go to Lexus.

i would be wary of having refurbed wheels off lexus, i bought a set off a much later model when the problem with coating was supposed to have been sorted and they have ended up as scabby as the ones i replaced! i would go for a decent after market set and sell the ones you've got on eBay!!!!

The second point is wheels, i have severely kerbed the wheels, i want to refurb/ exchange the wheels Lexus to an exhange system which comes to about 430 GBP fitted. The wheel guy from blackpool on ebay will do them for 240GBP fitted but without the machine finish id get from lexus?? is it worth another 200 for that? has anyone used this guy as i noticed another post on here saying to avoid him? One of my tyres is flat to 5psi?? this effects handling and performance, i dont want to put a tyre on one of his refurbs to have same problem if it is buckled etc.

All i will say is if you look after the car ...the car will look after you!!!! simple as that.....! :angry:

CV you've got to admit he does deserve some stick from caring lexus owners club members.

But of course we'll all helo him if he wants to get it sorted. Maybe a few pics of before and after would be good and also show how good this club really is!

Maybe if he'd visited the site a little more so he knew the sense of humur of people on it. But he's only posted 17 times in 2 years, he might think it a little insensative.

I know maybe better than most on here, that stick dished out on here is to be taken with a pinch of salt (remember my spoiler post :lol:).

Just didnt want them to think we were noobs and then leave the car as is rather than repair it.

I have to agree with CV here 110%. The club is here to help members and i think it does a great job of that. However this guy has came out and told us about what he has done to his Lex and none of us likes to hear a story like that as we all love our cars. But hes done what hes done so if theres any help or advice i can give you mate just ask.

I do agree with you two but i wasnt trying to be nasty or malicious at all was just making the point that he maybe should have looked after it batter and as i've said i will kindly offer any help that i can.

AbsolutDave please come back :unsure:

To turn a bad experience into a good one, i would agree with whats suggested previously. Take images of the lexus as it is...plenty of them too, highlighting the problem areas and then show the work and improvements as time goes by, and before you know it he will regain his status and become a hero, and at the same time, us with less knowledge about the car can see what we maybe facing in future etc. Unless AbsolutDave decides it be better to get rid of it and buy another instead...lol

:offtopic::offtopic:

And Steve ( West Mids ) scares me...he's one of them dodgy people that pop up out of nowhere and highlights things you don't want noone to find out about lol...do you work for the CIA, FBI or are you the DVLA database?

And CV actually answered one of the question i was going to post about...how many miles can you expect an IS200 to go for...

Hehe. Thanks for all the advice, particually about the VSR that Lexus do, i will do that first and post what is said, then take it to the next stage, i have replaced the wheel with the flat tyre now for the spare (wow what a difference in handling) and next take it for a long overdue service.

BTW dont worry i havnt taken offence to anything said lol, ive done wrong and now will punish myself and bank balance to make up for the abuse ive given the car. I will take some pics if/when it ever stops raining.

ps, i live near city centre sufc territory lol.

Bye for now.

Dave.

glad you're sorting it mate. it wont be cheap, and what ever you're told first wait and get a second opinion! The VSR will give you the best indication though.

With regards the Blades comment, i'll overlook it as they held Leeds to a draw the last two times the teams met :lol:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links