Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Wheel Problems

I know this has come up a number of times in the past. Unfortunately my 2000 Is200 has developed the following problems which i need help with:

A) Whistling when i turn the wheel mainly to the left going round bends - roughly id say between 10 and 60 degrees.

B ) sometimes when the i turn the wheel in a 3 point turn and the car is stationary I hear creaking noises that dont sound to good.

C) I hear disc scraping noises while the car is driving all the time. is this normal?

D) Apart from noises the biggest problem is that my car steering shakes really badly at between 50 and 60mph. This goes away if i drive outside of this range. This fault seems to only occur after some time of driving. possibly when the car tyres have warmed up. The balancing has recently been done.

I cannot understand why i have all these problems and what to do to rectify it all. Can i have some suggestions please?

I will say that my alloys are in a bad state of corrosion and i have been looking at a new set of refurbished ones off the guy selling them on eBay. Is it worth doing this or it it likely to be something else that is causing all these problems??

eighther .... bearing

or caliper

k... whats an eighther?

secondly the caliper - what part or why would the caliper develop a fault in what way?

And which part of my problem are you responding to? noises or shaking?

Point (D) sounds like it could be a sticking caliper.

Have a look and see if one of your front wheels gathers a lot more brake dust than the other.

But it sounds like you need to get it looked at properly whatever the cause is.

Point (D) sounds like it could be a sticking caliper.

Have a look and see if one of your front wheels gathers a lot more brake dust than the other.

But it sounds like you need to get it looked at properly whatever the cause is.

sounds like a sticking calliper to me but dont quote me on that get it into kwickfot think they do free checkup's :winky:

scraping sounds like pad has worn to bare metal, are your discs scored? probably due to seized caliper which would cause car to judder.

knocking on 3 point turn could be worn ball joint which would fail an mot.

I've been getting same problem only recently as "A" about the Whistling when turning left and after a while on straight only when doing between 30-45 miles per hr. But mine sounds like the back, had people at the garage check out the rear, pads are fine and the front ones are only 9 months old and i don't brake hard at all. They told me to just clean it out as it could be dirt etc, but it does it on straight when im not even braking so that rules out dirt and theres no score mark on disc. I will probably post up reason once i have cured it.

D_McA - you have a point there with the passenger front wheel as that is where the noise is coming from and yes it does get very very dirty that wheel compared to the others!! have kwik fit told you anything about it?

as for the whistling vvprotocolvv has mentioned the same symtoms as my car gets. Its appears to be on long drives around that the noise appears at 35-40 while driving on country roads. its really odd.

i took the front passenger wheel off today to have a clean and found the wheel was hard to turn. the pad seems fine however there is a bit of a lip on the disc but i dont think its major. I also found on closer inspection all of my wheels were refurbs except 1. i know this because there was no mirrored edge (diamond cut i think they call it). these wheels are all in a pretty bad state of corrosion. can refurbed wheels cause shaking?

can anyone recommend me getting a new set from that guy off eBay whose located in blackpool. they do a full powder coated set of 5 for £240 as long as a i post mine back to them. i dont know whether this will cure my problems. what do you think?

Corroded wheels wouldnt cause the problem you have i would say it was

1. sticking caliper

2.possibley your ball joint.

just double check that you dont have a flat spot or any distotion on any of your wheels as this would cause serious vibration...i had the same on one of my wheels ( slight bulge) and ( flat spot ) ended up haveing 140gram weight to balance it up properly but can still feel it slightly..,,,,,,just a thought best to double check. :)

D_McA - you have a point there with the passenger front wheel as that is where the noise is coming from and yes it does get very very dirty that wheel compared to the others!! have kwik fit told you anything about it?

as for the whistling vvprotocolvv has mentioned the same symtoms as my car gets. Its appears to be on long drives around that the noise appears at 35-40 while driving on country roads. its really odd.

i took the front passenger wheel off today to have a clean and found the wheel was hard to turn. the pad seems fine however there is a bit of a lip on the disc but i dont think its major. I also found on closer inspection all of my wheels were refurbs except 1. i know this because there was no mirrored edge (diamond cut i think they call it). these wheels are all in a pretty bad state of corrosion. can refurbed wheels cause shaking?

can anyone recommend me getting a new set from that guy off ebay whose located in blackpool. they do a full powder coated set of 5 for £240 as long as a i post mine back to them. i dont know whether this will cure my problems. what do you think?

I dont get a noise mate, just the shaking and vibrations between 50-60. I havnt got a chance to take it to kwik fit yet been flat out. Should get over next week, ill let you know the outcome.

1. sticking caliper

just double check that you dont have a flat spot or any distotion on any of your wheels as this would cause serious vibration...i had the same on one of my wheels ( slight bulge) and ( flat spot ) ended up haveing 140gram weight to balance it up properly but can still feel it slightly..,,,,,,just a thought best to double check. :)

How can you cure a sticking caliper? whats the cause and what will a garage do when i take the car to them and say my caliper is sticking? does it mean a new caliper?

As the wheels - since they are corroded so badly im gonna get a new set then i can be sure they are all good. then i will start and change tyres if i get more shaking problems.

1. sticking caliper

How can you cure a sticking caliper? whats the cause and what will a garage do when i take the car to them and say my caliper is sticking? does it mean a new caliper?

As the wheels - since they are corroded so badly im gonna get a new set then i can be sure they are all good. then i will start and change tyres if i get more shaking problems.

sticking callipers can be cleaned up inside they just dirt n rust built up inside....as for your wheels they can be refurbed for £50 each and will look brand new after..

Took mine to kwit fit, they cleaned and lubricated the pads on the near side front. There was no noise after a 6 mile drive, but will find out once i drive to work and back. Also noticed alot of cars on the road after bad weather has sqeeky brakes. They said the pads are fine and so are the disc, so as long as its not something thats damaged its fine. But they say it could possibly be that my calipers were painted and has not given enough movement for the pads to move, hence the sqeek.

Well, Kwit fit took my wheels off and got rid of the sqeeking by cleaning the calipers (front). But now it shakes between 50-60mph, and im sure it never used to do that, even the gear stick shakes...but it seems to do it on certain roads and i've been going through the same road for 2 yrs and it does not feel like it's the road causing this as the shake is too even. Anyway..will be going to Dr Bones to get the tracking done at some point as its had uneven tire wear from day one. Had them rebalance the front wheels (can't see how it became unevenly balanced just from taking the wheels off and putting it back on), but no joy. Will take the rears off and redo them myself to see if it corrects this. Oh and they managed to chip a large chunk of paint of my nice calipers!!! Watch this space....

• 3 weeks later...

well to answer this issue here what i finally have done in order to fix the shaking and squeeling from the wheels

It was found that the front passenger side caliper was sticking and as a result a large amount of heat was beng transferred to the disk and caliper causing excessive wear on these brake pads and would eventually warp the disc.

1. Remove the wheel and caliper in preparation to replace brake pads

2. wind back the caliper piston fully.

3. behind the rubber seals on the piston you may find a bit of rust where water has gotton in. you need to clean this and oil it with wd40.

4. pump you brakes a few time to push the caliper out and wind it back. repeat this several times oiling behind the seals each times to loosen it out. you may find this to be a 2 man job. make sure your caliper piston goes in a bit each time the brake pedal is released.

5. stick new pads in (ADL pads will do at the cost of £23) as you will find that the pads are worn down alot more than the drivers side. when you do this use alot of copper grease on the piston and back of the pads.

this should no longer squeel and best of all will no longer stick causing the shake at 60 mph. :-)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links