Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and don't know whether this is the correct place to be posting this but I'd be grateful for your advice.

I went to see a LS430 on Saturday and fell in love with it and put down a deposit which commits me to finish buying the car in the next two weeks. I've sinced found out that the car's milegae is not guaranteed (there was a sticker on the dashborad which I failed to notice because I was so enamoured with the car). So my questions is this-

What recourse do I have with the seller (it's a forecourt) if the thing goes wrong. Do I have some kind of comeback if it packs up in the first 3 months?

I obviously should have seen the sticker but like I said, I was a bit struck and I'm a bit inexperienced buying cars. The car has full history up to 2006 and had done 60 000 up to this point. The garage has been in possession of it for about a year I think.

Has anyone had a similar experience or advice? Like I said gratefully received.

Does the car "feel" good? (yes) Do the pedals look really worn? (no) does it look as if it has done over 60,000m? (no) Does the engine sound tappety? (no)

I'm not sure of your rights here, but if the car feels good etc. then it should be a good buy.

Check with citizens advice, as I believe that No car is sold as seen from a dealer anymore. They are accountable for every car they sell.

*The answers in the brackets, are the correct ones you should be looking for. ;)

Do you have any pictures of the car? :)

depending on the age of the car you should be able to check the old m.o.t's as to the milegae issues.warrantys and garantys are a big bag of worms my friend.The one line that i can help you with,if the un-thinkable happens,"is it fit for purpose".If you are un-sure ask for legel advise

Hi welcome to LOC

Check the service history if it only goes up to 60,000 is it Lexus stamped? ( if you take proof of ownership and the VIN to any Lexus dealer they can check the service history providing it is a UK model),make sure the cam belt was changed on the 60,000 mile service.

You don't say what the present mileage is but is there any other documentation e.g. old MOT certs to back it up? also look at the present MOT to check if any advisories were given at the time.

I thought that all forecourt sales now had to give a warranty of some kind even if it's only 30 days or haggle the price and take out one.

You could also contact the previous keeper and ask questions.

Finally has it been HPI checked?

The car does feel good to drive- bodywork immaculate and I didn't notice any wear on the pedals.

It's also had a lpg conversion in 2006. I ran a check on it and it's last registered keeper was in 2006. The owner of the garage has a apparently used it for a while before deciding to get rid of it and the reason that I was given sounds plausible. The car has now got 87000 on the clock. This seems about average to me and believable. The seats, for example look clean as does the rest of the car. It has lexus stamps to 60000. Isn't the cambelt due for replacement at 100 000?

I do have some pictures- how can I send or post them?

Thanks for your opinions.

Hi

Cambelt is 100 000 for a LS430 and this service will cost about £1000 the 90 000 service is about £450 so it will need some money spending on it soon, you haven't said how old it is? I presume it is an early one.

For about £55 a Lexus dealer will do a complete check over of the car, had mine done when I bought it, a 2001 LS430 with 60 000miles, the only thing they found wrong was that the raised air suspension setting should be an extra 18mm but mine only went up 16mm!!!!!!!! that’s how well they check it.

It’s a lovely car, you will enjoy it.

Pete

As far as I am aware any registered motor trader has to give a 6 month warranty. There are exceptions but mainly apply if a vehicle is sold at a price to reflect the condition of the car. Daily Telegraph motoring pages - Honest John gives a lot of info in his backpages or FAQ pages online. Might be worth RAC or similar inspection.

Thanks guys. I like the idea of having a check when I get the car. I'll do this. I'm expecting to have to fork out for the cam belt so I'll get this done in the summer. Is £1000 a typical price?

Haylands, the car looks identical to yours (being Canterbury Blue) but is about a year older. It's even had an lpg conversion in Milton Keynes. I almost thought it was the same one!

Thanks guys. I like the idea of having a check when I get the car. I'll do this. I'm expecting to have to fork out for the cam belt so I'll get this done in the summer. Is £1000 a typical price?

Haylands, the car looks identical to yours (being Canterbury Blue) but is about a year older. It's even had an lpg conversion in Milton Keynes. I almost thought it was the same one!

WOW never seen or heard of another in my colour combination, mind you there are only two others I see up here a silver one and a gold one, I do think they look nice in darker colours with the cream leather... Do you know what make of LPG kit is fitted?

Pete

Be very cautious.

LS models are SO well put together and usually start out as cars of CEOs etc, so they can often rack up big mileages without showing excessive wear.

Caveat Emptor.

But provided mileage on odo is true and there is service history, then high motorway miles in a short space of time should be good no ? I've come across cars only 2 years old which have covered approx 80k miles which i assume must be motorway miles...

Hi Pete. No, I don't know what lpg kit is fitted. I'll let you know when I pick it up. I've HPIed the car and everything is fine, but the mileage is not guaranteed. I can't really see any issues. I paid nine and a half for it and looking around that seems to be a pretty good price even if its done a few more miles than it actually has on the clock. Given the fact that its been converted to lpg I can't see a reason why anyone would fiddle with the mileage. (I know the obvious answer would be to boost the price of the car, if so, I don't think it's worked out). Although I'm fairly inexpereinced buying cars I'm not completely thick and it seemed great to me.

Looking forward to driving it to Cambridge the day I pick it up for its check now. Can hardly wait. Thanks, everyone, once again for your help- the enthusiasm was a big factor in me going ahead with the purchase.

Leigh

Leigh

You will love it they are great cars, the price seems about right, any cheaper and bells would ring.

Enjoy driving it but remember to look at the road and not play with all the toys too much!!!??!?!?

Oh and one last thing make sure you get at least one master key with it, the master will let you unlock the door and start the engine whilst keeping the key in your pocket, if this key is missing it's £2000 for a new one, along with the ECU you will need as well...

Have Fun, post some pics a.s.a.p.

Pete

That is what happend when I got my LS430 from Lexus. The previous owner had lost the master key but the bill I saw for replacement of ECU and keys etc was almost £3000. So what ever you do, don't loose your master keys.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links