Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Computer Help Needed

Not car related in anyway but, anyone on here a pc guru?

I've just been out and brought a self powered 4 port usb hub with the intention of running my broadband modem, cd writer and opitical mouse through it as i've only got one usb port on my laptop :( .

The mouse works fine though it but i cant get the modem to play, it powers up just fine but isn't getting a signal through the hub. The hub is a belkin pocket hub and the modem is a bt voyager. Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Andy

something telling me it's a port conflict, I don't know much about PC (mac addict), but I have experienced that on my wife PC, with an external modem.

We had to select carrefully the port to have the modem running fine, maybe you can give an eye on the port selection.

I had much the same problems.

USB supports 500ma power. Each port on most hubs support a max of 500ma. The BT broadband 'frog' draws the full 500ma and sometimes a bit more. It used to screw up the hub and the computer sometimes!

In the end, I threw the frog in the bin and invested 500 quid in a SpeedTouch 570 wireless ADSL router. It's the business. No more USB hassles!

I tried one of those hubs, and had the same problems. :unsure:

Got a refund , then hunted round for a voucher to use on an internet site. Managed to get a 7 port USB hub (with mains adpt) for bout 15 GBP.

Works fine. :hocus-pokus:

Go into your bios, turn off the IR (unless you really use it!) and make sure that the usb function is set to all (not just mouse etc).

are you getting one or 2 green lights on the modem?... (one for power, one for trained)

if your not getting the trained light, try re installing the bt comedy junk installer and see if it finds the modem.

what os?.... if win2k / xp right click on my computer and go to devices.... is there an exclamation mark on one of the devices? if so remove it and reinstall the modem.

If this doesnt work, find a big window and throw the laptop out the window .... doenst fix it but makes you feel better! :)

I take it the modem works fine plugged directly into the laptop USB? If so, it's fairly conclusive that it's the hub.

You're right on the limits of the hub even with just the modem plugged in so I doubt it will work. Can you borrow a powered hub at all?

Thanks for the replies guys, i've been trying all your suggestions but to no avail. The hub is a self powered one and the modem works fine when plugged straight into the laptop usb port.

When i try plugging the modem into the hub, the laptop sees the hub and powers up the modem (power light on but no line light) but it says the modem is not responding.

I'm on the verge of giving up and following gamesounds suggestion of finding a big window to throw the laptop and the hub through!!! All i want to be able to do is use my usb optical mouse at the same time as the modem!!!!

Andy

When you say self powered hub do you mean it has its own power and plugs into the mains? If it doesn't thats the type you need.

My cordless optical mouse came with an adapter to convert from the standard USB connecton to the PS2 type. I tried USB first and found when I tried scanning something on my USB scanner the mouse would freeze! So I switched it to using the old mouse port and everything works fine.

Just had another thought - does the laptop have a via chipset? I've had loads of problems with USB hubs and via chipsets. Doesn't seem specific on devices - some work, some don't. I think it's data rate issues.

Updated Via chipset drivers does the trick.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links