Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Car Cleaning - Wax/polish/swirls

Ok I just bought this:

Flebay

Coz i'm lazy (and i know its not going to be the one out there)

1) Want to know what the best product to get rid of swirl marks (Coz i have a s :tsktsk: t load)

t

2) Best Polish for the common man

3) Best Wax for the common man

And what order do i do it in!

I have read the form and half the stuff i just have NO idea what you’re talking about

Your help will be most grateful

Yeah, that wouldn't whisk a light batter unfortunately.

Good for lazy application of buffing off a wax/sealant that is fairly easy buff - not all are.

As above, RO/DA (Americanism meaning Dual Action) is the safest option for amateur and professional alike.

Something like the Meguiar's G220 is your starting point, but if in no hurry, hang tight a few more weeks or so - I've planted a seed in a member vendor to do something. More news when it's pertinent.

In the meantime, you can do a bit of cosmetic correction by getting a clay bar (Bilt Hamber Auto clay is my choice and recommended one) along with Auto Balm, which has more swirl hiding capabilities than Autoglym Super Resin Polish.

That'd tie you over until the purchase of the machine and range of pads and polishing compounds is made.

Between those two, plus a change in washing/drying technique and products to minimise adding fresh swirls will help tremendously.

A good sheepskin mitt (sheepskinshop.co.uk) with Auto Wash, Einszett Perls, R222 (P21S), 4-Star shampoo, and washing one panel at a time, before rinsing (2nd bucket required) thoroughly, with a pre-rinse before tackling the dirt, will go a long way to making swirls less of an issue - so long as a good microfibre towel is used as well.

In fact, you'll need a couple for drying and buffing.

Guest inicol63

Hi Y2Kanjar.

If you go to detailing world and have a look at the page i have listed then you will get all the pro info you need.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=61625

You will have to decide on what level of effort / cost that you need to spend on getting the best out of your body work.

I have just bought a G200 as PJS has mentioned in his post and Loc member can get a discount from

http://www.detailedobsession.com/catalog/i...d6a7da6f4c445c5

Email Gareth he is a valeter as well as selling my great products and he will recommend the best products to your budget.

I bought the standard kit and that was £143.00 I collected my kit so you will need to add postage to that.

I have not used my kit yet, but am hoping to do so in the next couple of weeks.

I will of course keep you guys posted as to how i get on...

Ian

that is some detial and must say easy to follow reading. but i'm not sure i wanna spend £143 yet!

i was looking at a middle of the range.... not a cheap cheap. but i'm woundering what i'm getting myself into

where the cheapest place to get this Bilt Hamber Auto clay

wash clean, clay it then ploish it

Wash, clay, then wax/seal it - polish is paint correction done after claying and before waxing/sealing.

Auto clay - direct from www.bilthamber.com - tell them I sent you, and you should get a small discount for being a forum member.

Or if £1 saving isn't worth it, then online rather than via the phone, or Elite Car Care, Pro-Detailing, or Ultimate Finish, if you plan on buying a few other bits and bobs at the same time.

that is some detial and must say easy to follow reading. but i'm not sure i wanna spend £143 yet!

i was looking at a middle of the range.... not a cheap cheap. but i'm woundering what i'm getting myself into

where the cheapest place to get this Bilt Hamber Auto Clay

if you are going to try hiding the swirls by hand auto glym super resin polish came out as the winner in a test over on detailing world forum,worth a look if you don't want to spend much money.

Link to the test you mention? - can't say I recall it, and would be surprised if they had AB as part of the candidates, so it'd need to be put in context with what's being discussed here, especially since I've said it outperforms SRP on the masking aspect.

where the cheapest place to get this Bilt Hamber Auto Clay

if you are going to try hiding the swirls by hand auto glym super resin polish came out as the winner in a test over on detailing world forum,worth a look if you don't want to spend much money.

I too would be interested in the link/test..

Link to the test you mention? - can't say I recall it, and would be surprised if they had AB as part of the candidates, so it'd need to be put in context with what's being discussed here, especially since I've said it outperforms SRP on the masking aspect.

Please see link below as to the Autoglym test.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=69078

clay...??? where does that come in and where do i get it as in the full name

i remember that you was it dry it then ......leave it in the sun lol

have a look at polished bliss or autopia or detailing world, lots of info on these sites about the use of detailing clay,its not a difficult thing to do but adds alot to the finished product.as to where to buy,google it and shop around.if you are a novice then stay with a mild clay bar.

right mild clay bar... i'm going ship this saturday...

where would i fit the clay process in my list

wash

SrP

then

wax yes

after the wash,but there is no need to dry,and don't use clay bar under strong sun.

Guest inicol63

Guys if you need to see how to use clay then try this link there are others

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcZRj509Ir8

PS The best wax for protecting your car that i have used is Collinite No. 476s Super DoubleCoat Carnauba Wax your only need to add this to your paint work 3-4 times a year now a good time (add two coats and 1-2 coats when we come into the winter months).

Be aware that you should not use most waxes in the heat of the day.

Ian

hi kanjar

please see my post i put on a few weeks back. its got most of the info you need. i was like you, lost in a mound of info, as you will see from the thread. i still haven't bought anything yet.

the bilt hamber is really impressive, but thanks to your thread, someone actually tested hand polishing and the auto glym came out great. because of that thread im torn between bilt hamber and auto glym

anyway hope this helps, bear in mind that the person that did the polish by hand only done a test patch. i've got a gs300 sport, theres no way i can do all of that car by hand, well not in one go anyway!

also, get your terminology right. know what polish actually means and does. i would visit the Meguiars website and check their 5 stage car detailing. that would give you a great introduction into the field

good luck

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=49984

finest1

Please see link below as to the Autoglym test.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=69078

Ah, thank you.

From the link, and by one of the most respected members:

I still think SRP would be your best bet though. The best equivalent I can think of would be Bilt Hamber Autobalm, worth doing a search for a few threads on this as it is reported to have a filling ability at least on a par with SRP though I have yet to personally test this in a controlled test.

So, not tested against AB, and the thread was actually about a hand polish rather than something which would hide swirls as a temporary measure.

I'll say this again, here, SRP is fine, but you would not want to deswirl a large portion of a panel or the car by hand. Small areas - yes, but even then, you're barely affecting the damage unless they're really fine. Any thing half deep, and you need to move up to something proper and better suited - like Menzerna 106FF, which incidentally Dave did a bit of a shoot-out of ones normally mentioned in the same breath as a machine polish, and it took some 3-5 hits to effect a reasonable result.

SRP also produces quite a bit of dust, and won't have the longevity of AB, not even with EGP or a carnauba wax over the top of it.

Therefore, given what the OP is aiming to achieve, AB is the most cost effective option, by the time a wax is factored into the SRP equation, and it will mask more of the swirls, last longer (weather and parking conditions being the determining factor on how long that actually is) and it will go further before a new tub is needed, since it requires so little per application.

Oh, and I have pulled Dave about his having a tub of unopened AB, and never having tried it out - especially with the extra press BH has been getting in the past month or so. He also has misrepresented AB by saying "on a par" - there's a number who've stated it trounces SRP for swirl masking, which I couldn't confirm since I'd only used it on good paintwork until recently at a local Jag/AM dealer, on the front wings of an X-type during my demo of it and the clay.

I find it most curious since he has a LOT of other products to put it up against, etc - but still it remains untouched.

Maybe he feels I do enough to "help" BH gain approval on the site, that he steers clear of it, and concentrates on the various others - I don't know.

Hopefully at some point in time, soon, he will get round to unscrewing the lid, and make his opinion known on it, and we'll see how that correlates with the other members who've already been getting stuck into using it.

It would seem the link I was referring to does back up the SRP being very good at swirl removal - more so than I remembered, and to which I gave more credit to Menz than it deserves.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10656

Of course, nothing stopping one using both SRP and AB, but as they effectively do a similar thing, regarding masking, I'd go with one or other, unless I was prepared to use the SRP for polishing, then remove it using a paint cleaner like IPA diluted 50:50 with deionised water to leave the best possible surface prep for AB to adhere to.

Strictly speaking, the AB might not need it, given the chemical cleaning it seems to have - but I'd probably err on the side of absolute certainty.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links