Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Should The 2nd Gen Is Have Been More Like The 1st Gen Is?

It can be stated that the 2nd gen IS has (virtually) no likeness to the 1st gen IS whether in the exterior or interior?

Do you think the 2nd gen IS should have 'carried over' some of the features of the 1st gen IS e.g. the swiss-watch speedo?

If you sat in one and then the other you wouldn't have thought they are 'related'!?

Also, what's the biggest differences or things an IS200 owner would find when first driving an IS250/220, when expecting some inter-relation between the models.

Please comment - I'm interested in your views! :-)

It can be stated that the 2nd gen IS has (virtually) no likeness to the 1st gen IS whether in the exterior or interior?

Do you think the 2nd gen IS should have 'carried over' some of the features of the 1st gen IS e.g. the swiss-watch speedo?

If you sat in one and then the other you wouldn't have thought they are 'related'!?

Also, what's the biggest differences or things an IS200 owner would find when first driving an IS250/220, when expecting some inter-relation between the models.

Please comment - I'm interested in your views! :-)

This is my 3rd Lex after a IS 200 and then a IS 300 sport-cross and I must say it´s an entirely new car in allmost every aspect. Much more comfortable and "premium". I can miss my 300 sometimes I´ll admit that but I´m driving far more mileage now and appreciate the better mpg the 220 gets.

After driving the new generation for first time today I have to report that the new genration has moved on alot, it has lost quite alot of drivability in translation though.

The driving experience offered by the new generation leaves a little to be desireded, but i can only speak from the experience of driving an IS220D SE.L today.

Luxury definatley YES, driver involvement NO

The pase 1 was a fine balance of sport & luxury which hit the spot with a quality finish & a sporty drive.

If it has not been pointed out to LEXUS uk already, the final ratio of the 220D is total garbage for uk usage & pretty much kills the deal for me. The car just flounders in 6th gear off boost at 70 mph. This is without doubt the only reason I will not order one, I have driven alot of cars in my time but this has to be one of the most lousy ***** ups ever seen.

Did nobody test this car during developement ? Until this issue is resolved along with the economy, I am sure Lexus are suffering in the showrooms because of this one issue alone.

I amazed that the dealers are brave enough to let people test drive the car, I would love to see this resolved so i can order one.

Other wise a great car !

I dont think the new one has the WOW factor that the old one has :D

May have something to do with the 'first generation' IS being a re-badged Toyota and the 'second generation' being one of the outputs of the newly formed Lexus division of Toyota and their new family design concepts 'leading edge' and 'finesse'. It's was meant to be a totally different car from the offset, not any kind of follow on, apart from the classification 'IS'.

I still like the looks of my IS200 and still like driving it, but I don't compare the two either way. However, I do admit to modifying the 250 in similar style to my 200 Sport...tints, alloy pedals, lowered, boot spoiler, colour coded grill etc. :lol:

I dont think the new one has the WOW factor that the old one has :D

May have something to do with the 'first generation' IS being a re-badged Toyota and the 'second generation' being one of the outputs of the newly formed Lexus division of Toyota and their new family design concepts 'leading edge' and 'finesse'. It's was meant to be a totally different car from the offset, not any kind of follow on, apart from the classification 'IS'.

I still like the looks of my IS200 and still like driving it, but I don't compare the two either way. However, I do admit to modifying the 250 in similar style to my 200 Sport...tints, alloy pedals, lowered, boot spoiler, colour coded grill etc. :lol:

Nothing to do with re-badged toyota, the 1st time i seen the old one, was back in 1999 T reg, one of the reps at work had one, as soon as i seen it, WOW THAT LOOKS NICE :D

The new one just dont do that at all :o well not for me anyway :duh:

I do think certain aspects of the new IS250/IS220D look nice, but as Gord says the WOW factor is just not there. It is just too similar to the German competition and not individual enough without anything new to offer like the Lexus Lights (which I liked!) on the first generation car.

I am not saying the 2nd Gen is an ugly car, not by a long way (!) but there is just something that doesn't make me WANT ONE like the old car did. The first generations cars, even without body kits and up rated wheels looked nice - the new one needs these bits to make it stand out more. I will admit however that the interior of the new car I think is a much nicer place to be. :)

**No 2nd Generation IS owners were harmed in the writing of this response** :P :P

• 3 weeks later...

Guess I'll throw my 2$ in as I recently part exchanged my IS200 Sport with 18" alloys for an IS250 Auto SE-L MM.

I can understand what ppl say about the wow factor.

Before buying the IS200, whenever I saw it on the roads I admired it greatly and knew I just had to have one.

When the new IS250 came out it didnt grab my attention as much, apart from the Brechin Slate colour.

For some reason, that colour always turned my head.

Yes Im driving a Brechin Slate now, and I love its looks.

The interior is a revelation compared to my ex IS200, its much more upmarket and a real pleasure to be in.

Admittedly it may not look as individual as the IS200, but to me its looks better than the equivalent BM/Audi/Mercs of this world.

As for the engine, the 250 is also a major improvement (naturally).

Theres no longer the feeling that the car could do with more bhp (at least to me)

I think a lot of IS200 drivers would agree.

Plus with the slightly better mpg over the IS200 (im averaging 32-34 mpg compared to the official 27 or so mpg of the IS200), I think the IS250 is just miles ahead.

I loved my IS200 for the time I had it (apart from error prone cd changer) but I tell u, I sure have a bigger grin on my face with the IS250 :D

Guess I'll throw my 2$ in as I recently part exchanged my IS200 Sport with 18" alloys for an IS250 Auto SE-L MM.

I can understand what ppl say about the wow factor.

Before buying the IS200, whenever I saw it on the roads I admired it greatly and knew I just had to have one.

When the new IS250 came out it didnt grab my attention as much, apart from the Brechin Slate colour.

For some reason, that colour always turned my head.

Yes Im driving a Brechin Slate now, and I love its looks.

The interior is a revelation compared to my ex IS200, its much more upmarket and a real pleasure to be in.

Admittedly it may not look as individual as the IS200, but to me its looks better than the equivalent BM/Audi/Mercs of this world.

As for the engine, the 250 is also a major improvement (naturally).

Theres no longer the feeling that the car could do with more bhp (at least to me)

I think a lot of IS200 drivers would agree.

Plus with the slightly better mpg over the IS200 (im averaging 32-34 mpg compared to the official 27 or so mpg of the IS200), I think the IS250 is just miles ahead.

I loved my IS200 for the time I had it (apart from error prone cd changer) but I tell u, I sure have a bigger grin on my face with the IS250 :D

It's horses for courses. I thought the old IS was ugly and never wanted one. The new IS is a lot better looking for me.

We had 6 years of great motoring with the IS200 and it turned heads wherever it went, i think due to the Platinum Ice looking stunning. Now we have moved on, got a bit older and have had a year with the 250 Sport, it also turns heads, again the great looking Mesa red. But i dont compare the two models as they are totally different aminals. The IS200 alwasys felt short of power, the 250 doesn't. You pays your money etc. etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I never liked the 200 and seen it as only a re-badged toyota ( as it infact was ). Yet when i saw the 250 i loved it.

I think it is indeed each to their own, but i do think they have similarities.

This photo of my IS250 bares a striking resemblance to a 200, or is it just me?

post-23293-1215287571.jpg

I never liked the 200 and seen it as only a re-badged toyota ( as it infact was ). Yet when i saw the 250 i loved it.

They're definitley part of the same family..these two are anyway :lol:

pairuv2.jpg

pairuv2.dbc4c04e48.jpg

They're definitley part of the same family..these two are anyway :lol:

pairuv2.jpg

pairuv2.dbc4c04e48.jpg

Your IS200 looks mint!

Your IS200 looks mint!

Thank you...it's a 2001 Sportnav on an X plate. 86K miles and only just had its cambelt changed :crying: , but otherwise it has been well pampered...just like the 250 :lol: .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links