Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Avg 8.0 Free - Problems :(

Well something else is out to get me :(

Upgrades from AVG 7.5 to 8.0 Free last week ( as there are no updates after 31st May ) and left the Link Scanner off. Decided to switch it on yetserday and it's crashed the machine ( Vista ) twice on boot up. Also it's crashed Mozilla Firefox 3 times tonight, so option is switched off for now.

Anybody else upgraded and had problems?

do you have firewall version of avg? we had the full works on a vista laptop, turned it tits up, switched to anti virus version only and runs sweet. hope this helps!

No I haven't got the firewall version, it's got 7 components on the front page of mine ... if somebody can check against theirs.

Also I find it doesn't update automatically :( It only allows you set to update every day and at a given time, I'm sure on the previous version it would also check on power up.

If you're still having problems with AVG, try Avast (http://www.avast.com/eng/download.html) instead. It's also free and in my opinion, it's better behaved than AVG because the scanning is less intrusive.

You could do away with anti-virus software completely. I've been running quite happily without it on my laptop for 18 months now and it's as clean as a whistle. Set up a Limited User Account for day-to-day use and there's no need for a-v software because the LUA doesn't have the authority to install any software. This means that viruses can't install themselves onto your system. If you need to install any software or change any system settings, log on with the administrator's account and Robert's your father's brother. Using Windows Firewall too means that you're protected all for free.

Funny you should mention problems with AVG 8.0 as I have it installed on my laptop and thought it ws the dogs bollox as I ahd Norton which I hated, so after a few days I noticed when I open my hotmail acc it would take ages to open my inbox, after a bit of playing I switched off my link scanner and web browser for it to perform quickly as it use to , I also payed for it which is a bummer as you can get it for nowt.

I contacted AVG about the problem but I have given up as they want me to try all sorts of things to sort it out and I ain't got time.

By the way my laptop runs on Vista..

So if I have any probs I just use ewido anti spy ware to find any probs but I think AVG is good apart from this niggly problem..

Got a tower unit running AVG 7.5 and no probs

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links