Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Alloy Wheels Refurb

which colour is best for a blue lexus? is powder coating better than painting? is black going to look good? advice is needed please......the guy thats going to do them has quoted me £20 per wheel ;) this is the before pic i will post another pic after i have got them done :)

27012008sz2.th.jpg

£20 a wheel for a refurb :question: , that's very cheap mate. Normally a refurb costs £40-£70 a wheel, what's the quality of his work like :question:. I had one guy telling me he could refurb my wheels for £25 each. Asked him how he would go about refurbing my wheels (thought he would strip the paint off to the bare metal and repaint/laquer). The guy said 'I'll just sand them down and spray them up using a spraycan'. I told him to get off my property (What a cowboy).

Personally, I'd get them refurbed in the standard colour (silver).

kam05 is right you need to know what he is going to do to the wheel as painting and powder coating is totally different as is the price he cant do either for £20 a wheel, thats way to cheap and what sort of finish can you expect to get for that?

I would be very wary, is it a company or someone working from his shed?

Your cars worth more than that surely. B)

IMO, if the guy says he is going to remove scuffs and refurb for 20 quid a wheel then it has got to be worth a shot at that price to see what you get. You could always give him the spare to do, 20 quid on one wheel aint a lot to experiment with and you could end up pleasantly surprised.

Very rarely do you get a bargain, You get what you pay for ;)

The key word there is rarely, rather than never. I got quoted £940 by Lexus to fix my rear crank oil seal leak. Would I have got a better repair than the one I got elsewhere for £313?? I doubt it somehow so the old addage you get what you pay for meant naff all in that instance. If someone wants to automatically waste good money then they are certainly free to do so ;)

The key word there is rarely, rather than never. I got quoted £940 by Lexus to fix my rear crank oil seal leak.

Why would anyone pay the cost of a repair to the value of the motor?......you'd be nuts.

We'll all see what the finish product looks like....i'd be more intrested in the quality and how it stands up to a winter.

I have to agree with the replies so far.... For a decent job you would expect to pay a reasonable sum, bargain bucket prices for such a technical job doesn't correlate.

I hope you prove us all wrong.... But be wise my friend.

Why would anyone pay the cost of a repair to the value of the motor?......you'd be nuts.

Who said anything about the repair costing the value of the motor? :blink: Either way I see no point to your point :blink: It still comes down to the fact the repair cost me a third of the expensive price, but that didn't make job I got done any worse. So what was your point?

Like I said already, people are free to do what they wish with their money. for £20 I can't see how you can go far wrong getting one wheel done as a tester. If you then end up paying 50 quid each for the other wheels, you only spent 10% extra with the initial £20. If the jobs a good un, then you stand to save £120 by the time you get the other three done. Seems relatively simple to me, but hey, I'm a skin flint :hehe:

A guy on here think he's a new member done the refurb himself, can't find the post but i'm sure someone will be able to ;)

Defo go for silver and the advice to get 1 done 1st as a tester is very good advice IMHO :)

Is this guy a friend of yours who's doing you a favour? If not, £20 does sound ridiculously cheap, but if you've sampled his work and it's good then it's a total bargain!

I'd personally keep the diamond cut finish to the edge (but I'm sure he won't do that for £20 a wheel) but otherwise I think a light grey colour would look quite good on a blue car :)

the company is an industrial spraying company thats how he can give you a very competitive price, not seen the work personally yet on wheels but his cars come out good! anyway the state my wheels are in puts shame onto lexus cars lol, he is fully booked til the 30th so sadly gotta wait a week or 2, will show you guys the results ;)

the company is an industrial spraying company thats how he can give you a very competitive price, not seen the work personally yet on wheels but his cars come out good! anyway the state my wheels are in puts shame onto lexus cars lol, he is fully booked til the 30th so sadly gotta wait a week or 2, will show you guys the results ;)

I know a decent place in Oldham if you are interested in having them done by someone with a track record? Its my mates place.

http://www.auto-serve.co.uk/wheelrefurbs.html

BEFORE

05032008315_edited.jpg

AFTER

07032008317.jpg

It won't be £20 a wheel however, but I can vouch for the quality. Might be worth a ring :D

Who said anything about the repair costing the value of the motor? :blink:

Er you did...the cost from Lexus to repair your car, which is the curent value of your car,which is why i said you'd be crazy to go that route :D....finding a decent cheap mechanic is easy.....but a good wheel refurb isnt especially at that price but hey i could be wrong and it will turn out great.....i hope so

I got quoted £940 by Lexus to fix my rear crank oil seal leak.

Er you did...the cost from Lexus to repair your car, which is the curent value of your car

Er... no I didn't. I gave a price for work, I gave no price for the value of my car. You don't know any of the variables to know what the value of my car is. Check Autotrader for a rough guage, £1495 and up from what I've just looked at.

finding a decent cheap mechanic is easy.....but a good wheel refurb isnt especially

You weren't interested in even finding out. The recomendation of most was to just walk away as £20 is too cheap. I fail to see the logic in assuming that paying 150% more per wheel means that you will get a better result. You might, you might not, or you might just get the same result. There is no point in assuming and chucking money away, when at worst for an extra 10% outlay, you can find out for sure. You can then at least provide LOC members with some substantiated info and say yeah, top service for a great price, or steer clear they did a naff job.

hay - gust saw a guy doing a BMW; asked him on the prices - £50.00 each.....not bad if you have new tyres, and the BMW was almost done he was just cleanning them.

not bad job - i wander how long they will last? "the guy has been doing the job for 6mths"

the name of his Bus - Rimfurb a "Gary Gresswell" - from the card he brought the company/Buss from a James Ducker...

he was by st albans today.....

dont think i will be using him - £200.00 for the refurb & 4 new tyres well may get away buying 2....@ £100.00 each GoodYears Eagles F1 grand total of £400.00 - £600.00 you can get a new set of alloys with tyres.....

• 2 weeks later...

right guys im back :whistling:

got the full front bumper done and the 4 wheels in anthracite, great job from what i can see, the price is better...........140 all in!!! now thats what i call service and a bargain!

heres some pics

95656391gw2.th.jpg

71142997yv0.th.jpg

67624434hs2.th.jpg

89072590hm2.th.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links