Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Washing Tips

Hey guys just cleaned the lex last night but everytime I shampoo it, it is really badly streaky all over the car and have to go over it 3/4 times with a wet sponge/cloth to get rid of the streaking, I'm using triplewax car shampoo and powerwashing car first and them shampooing when car is wet? Is there any anti-streak shampoo anyone would recomend????

Cheers

It was quite warm yesterday - I tried washing mine for the first time in about 10 months and all the water dried on it leavig irritating water marks that took ages to get off.

Maybe your paint needs properly polishing and waxing using seperate high quality products?

good tips for washing your lex (and other cars).

Don't use high pressure cleaning (especially on the plastic parts, tyres and on stonechip endangered parts).

Try the nanotech shampoo (will give you perfect shine)

rinse with de-mineralized water or water with a bit of dishwasher shine added.

Dry with an old cloth.

Never wash in the sun or on hot surfaces.

But most important: if the base aint good (clean/smooth surfaces and a good wax coat) the washing results will be likewise.

P.s. don't use the (meguiars) magic blade to take of the water. (it's fast a bit of sand will guarantee you a lot of scratches...) and try to keep away from aggressive wheel cleaners.

Thanks for the tips guys,

I usually wash shampoo with a pressure washer then use polish/wax to shine the car up, should I just use a sponge and bucket?

Where do you get deminralized water from is it expensive?

Bucket and sponge defo the best way to wash it, I wash 1 pannel at a time then rinse it off then move onto the next, a good quality chamoise helps aswel.

When i'm at my mum's and wash the car there I use the Flash autowash thingy with the built in filter which is very good, just put the special Flash shampoo in the bucket instead of the sprayer wash as normal with sponge, rinse off then spray over with the filter and it dry's vertually mark free any marks that are there just take off with chamoise ;)

By all means use a pressure washer to get the crud off, but don't use any form of brush on your paint.

I rinse the car with the hose (we have great water pressure)

Wash using Meguiars Gold Class shampoo (two bucket method)

Rinse with low pressure sprinklet nozzle

Dry with Auto Glym synthetic leather thing

People have different opinions on how to dry, but in my opinion this is what really finishes off the wash. If you don't dry it properly, it won't look good.

Also make sure that your sponges and leather are all clean. If the car is really dirty, or has lots of bugs, etc. it might be worthwhile to wash those areas first, i.e bonnet, below the waist line, wheels, then rinse and start again, having thoroughly washed out the sponge (or better still getting a new one).

You also need to be careful of watermarks from the water drying before you have leathered it off, this is especially a problem in hard water areas. I used to have a black Puma, and washing it in summar was a real pain, I had to keep the sprinkler on while I washed it, otherwise the bodywork would absorb the heat and evaoprate the water, leaving nasty marks. That was when I lived in a hard water area though, much better where I am now.

I use the Flash autowash filter for the de-mineralised water. Just clips on the end of the hose.

When he's finished, one of my neighbours fills a few buckets of water and floods the paintwork. (Claims the water sticks to itself and by flooding almost clears itself off). Then uses dishwasher finishing tabs in a watering can and just pours it over the car. I must admit, it does look good when he's finished.

cheers guys think I'll invest in a better chamois and a flash car clean kit.

So after shampooing a good trick is to rinse off with dishwasher tablets??? any sort of tablets and it wont harm the body work?

I use turtlewax afterwards would anyone recomend anything else? or are they all pretty much the same?

I just use pressure washer to do wheels and bottom of car for mud etc. but bumper and bonnet has a few stone chips should I carry on using the pressure washer or just a bucket o water?

if u want an in line water de-ioniser, then try aqua-gleam.

very very good bit of kit and highly reccomended.

alternitavely, just towel dry the car in the correct way (pat dry, large m/f drying towel or waffle weave towel. should only take 15 mins)

I would not use a sponge,you are better using a lambs wool wash mit.

This will not damadge the paint work ie,swirl marks.

Also for rinsing off your car you are better using your hose with the nozzel removed.

this puts a blanket of water over your car instead of lots of small bubbles, making drying time much much quicker.

Bucket and sponge defo the best way to wash it, I wash 1 pannel at a time then rinse it off then move onto the next, a good quality chamoise helps aswel.

When i'm at my mum's and wash the car there I use the Flash autowash thingy with the built in filter which is very good, just put the special Flash shampoo in the bucket instead of the sprayer wash as normal with sponge, rinse off then spray over with the filter and it dry's vertually mark free any marks that are there just take off with chamoise ;)

Personally I wouldn't let a sponge or chamois anywhere near my cars. I prefer a microfiber wash mitt and drying towels.....less risk of marring the paintwork. Also rinse off using in-line water filters before drying.

Seems everone's got there own way of washing and drying there motors ;) never had any probs with sponge or chamoise myself as long as you keep them clean but each to there own, some very good tips so far though :)

Yeh thanks a lot guys I'll try the few different tips, anyone used the karcher snow foam system? Think I should invest a wash mittt and drying towels, my mums old dish cloths cant be that good.lol!!

Yeh thanks a lot guys I'll try the few different tips, anyone used the karcher snow foam system? Think I should invest a wash mittt and drying towels, my mums old dish cloths cant be that good.lol!!

I use my Karcher with Snow Foam and a foam lance when the cars are too soiled for a quick detail..here's a pic taken a few minutes after application. Usually blast the bugs of the front, door mirrors and windscreen before foaming. The car usually has a decent carnauba wax coat so the grime just floats off with the lightest of agitation wth a M/F wash mitt.

snowyl7.jpg

snowyl7.034de31ae2.jpg

Forget a chamios, old technology and dont use "an old cloth" to dry your car, more than likely mark your paint.

Try something like this as your drying towel

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sonus-Der-Wunder-Dry...p3286.m20.l1116

Dont use more then the specified amount of shampoo, to much will cause streaking, try not to wash in the sun or on hot days aswell.

Pressure is good to get the intial muck off, then use a wash mitt and bucket, then rinse with a hose to sheet off the excess water and finally use your drying towel. job done.

My first post! I've alway used the simple bucket, sponge and chamios. I keep the panels I've already cleaned wet with hose water, especially needed on a hot day. Then when the whole lot is clean I chamios it off quickly. The key is to not let it dry before you're ready to chamios.

I first put a small amount of spray on detergent on to help loosen up fly meat and heavy dirt. I use a descailer to loosen up brake dust from rims and disks/ calipers! (not getting it on the paintwork!) Then pressure wash / rinse the car to remiove all of the loose dirt.

I then use Megs gold class with a megs wash mit to shampoo the car down!

Rinse the car thoroughly, making sure i get the sills and opening the doors and boot making sure to to do all of the shuts!

I use a microfibre drying towel and tissue to dry the car, my method is do all the windows first, i wipe the windows with the towel and then buff with SOFT white tissue!

Then bodywork! pannel by pannel wipe with the towel, then wipe over with the tissue! This stops the dreaded water marks ;) (the tissue will also be a bit damp from doing the windows which stops it scratching the car! then wipe shuts and leave doors open!

I put windows down about 20mm so i can spray the top edge with window cleaner and buff up with tissue! (looks bad when people dont do this) then windows up and finish them off.

Then either polish the car or wax it! always making sure to do the door shuts aswell!

I love washing and waxing my car, something good knowing you have the best looking car on your estate :) and it usually takes about 3hrs! :rolleyes:

Tom.

I get alot of my stuff from (www.cleanyourcar.com) they also have a forum dedicated to people who just love cleaning there cars!

What about swirl/polish marks when I wash my car then polish it a few hours later in the sum you can see the polish marks/swirls, any tips on good polishing, I'm using triplewax or nanotech polish but using a duster not a proper microfibre towel is this where I'm going wrong?

Thanks for the tips though lads much appreciated.

Where can you get the Flash filters these days? They used to be sold in Halfords but I haven't seen any for ages.

Their in my local £1 store, picked up about 5 last week or so.

I,v also got a hose and bucket at work, so if i get bored ill go wash my car and if im really bored stiff ill do my work coleagues.

I use a turtle wax micro fibre wash mitt, which works a treat. A few weeks ago got some of the new Autoglym Aqua Wax. Comes with wax and two cloths.

Wash the car, rinse it (I live in a really hard water area and used to have loads loads of problems with water marks), and then while it's still wet spray on some of the wax. Use the first cloth to run in the wax and remove most of the water and then the second cloth to dry completely and give a shine. The finish is brilliant and it only takes minutes to do. Really smooth when it's done and looks great. No more water mark problems.

Also got some RainX lately and that works brilliantly as well :-)

Also got some RainX lately

Been using that for years on the windscreen and side windows, rarely have to use the wipers at all. Great stuff. I avoid using it on the rear screen especially in winter as the rear screen heater struggles more when droplets of water freeze rather than a sheet of water or frost.

Also got some RainX lately

Been using that for years on the windscreen and side windows, rarely have to use the wipers at all. Great stuff. I avoid using it on the rear screen especially in winter as the rear screen heater struggles more when droplets of water freeze rather than a sheet of water or frost.

Also good for your lights,especially in winter time,I have also used it for years.

you can now get rainX in a wipe form

What about swirl/polish marks when I wash my car then polish it a few hours later in the sum you can see the polish marks/swirls, any tips on good polishing, I'm using triplewax or nanotech polish but using a duster not a proper microfibre towel is this where I'm going wrong?

Thanks for the tips though lads much appreciated.

Tips on polishing!

Make sure the car is dry and as dust free as possible! and never polish hot pannels or in direct sunlinght!

If by hand!

I usually just use a laytex polish as verry rarely should you need a cutting compound polish if not using a machine mop! (i use pour boys or colinite)

1, using a "damp" sponge apply polish to sponge and going with (the grain of the paint, sounds strange but if you were to polish a bonnet, i apply from top to bottom! so when you stand infront of the car you wouldnt see swirls!) if you apply a polish in a circular motion thats where you cvan get your swirls from ;) If using a cutting compund then you aplly in circular motion!

(Im not one for Pannel by pannel polishing as i find how would leaving it on there for a long period of time dammage the paint?? i just cover the whole car!)

2, Allow polish to cure/ dry to a haze!

3, I use 2 different microfibre cloths to rempove the polish from bodywork! Firstly make sure your cloths are dust free and get one of them wet! "Ring it out" to get as much water out of it as possible!

4, Starting where you first applied the polish in one hand have the "damp cloth" and the other your finishing cloth! start to remove the polish with the damp cloth and then bightly buff with the dry one to remove all of the polish and any residue left by the polish! do this over the whole car remembering to turn the cloth frequently to buff with a clean side!

The reason i use a damp cloth first is when you just buff the polish off with one cloth, any heavy areas of polish usually turn dusty, his dust on your cloth or body work will actually scratch it again! (pain in the ***** on black cars!!) the damp cloth will hold onto any dust!

If you have access to a power mop i usually use a sealent polish and apply it to the paintwork and work in with the mop on around 3000rpm! remember not to hold it on one place for too long or you can burn your paint!

If not then just put a nice coat of wax on the car! i use Collinite waxes!!

Tom.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links