Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Kinda Fed-up With The Is Now.

Hey all.

As you may remember, I only bought my IS200 a couple of months ago.

Since then, my differential has broken and now, just when I really don't need more car-expenditures - my clutch is on the way out.

Familiar smell, nasty high-rev action with no actual movement and the horrible feeling of having 0 power when pulling away at a junction.

I realise clutches are consumables, of course... but what happened to the legendary reliability of these machines? Am I just being unlucky or something?

I'm now starting to wonder whether my IS has been clocked. It feels solid and very planted and the usual tell-tale signs seem to indicate the mileage is genuine. Despite that, my engine sounds a tad tappy/ropey on idle, every now and then. Add that to the mechanical failures recently and I'm starting wonder what the hell I've bought!

I need a laugh... anyone know how much a clutch is likely to set me back?

Yup - sounds like your car has either been clocked/neglected in it's early life or is just a lemon.

Thats a bit harsh....the previous owner may just of given it a hard life, could of been young and irresponsible or just bad driving and riding the clutch all the time.

As you say though a clutch is a consumable so can go at any time and i bet once its done your faith will come back.

chin up fella its only a car. :D

The previous owner was the son of the garage I bought it from. He'd had E46 M3s, V8 Jeeps, Audi S4' and S6' and even a Jag XKR. Left school at 16 and worked for his dad. Started buying and selling from the car-auction and eventually worked up enough cash to buy a damn Rolex + all the performance cars he's had. He only had the IS200 for a month because he wrote off one of the Audis. It was a stop gap solution.

He didn't strike me as a reckless driver and I know insurance on those machines would of been unrealistic if he'd had crashes. I mean, you can only go on faith, but God knows who owned the car before him.

I've just driven it to work and unless I try accelerate fully (which if we're honest is at the speed of Continental drift, in a standard IS200), the car drives fine. The clutch engages and seems happy enough to work under less agressive pedal use. Still smelled of burning clutch when I got out, though.

I know this is a very general question; no doubt hard to answer specifically, but if I've purchased this car through a finance agreement (HP), do I have any come-back considering I've had 1 non-consumable mechanical failure so far and now a burning-out clutch. Surely after the 2 months of ownership, these faults could be described as excessive? If I'd put 2,000 miles on the clock in this time or had it for 6 months+, I'd understand. Any clues?

If I do get it repaired this week or whatever, no doubt my confidence will return, but until then... grr!

how many miles has it done?

The engine noise you describe isn't uncommon in my experience on the IS200.

Let's say 75k. It's not specific, but without going out to the car park, I can't tell ya. Either way.... 75~.

Hardly excessive and not enough to warrant a murdered diff, for a start!

My car is now on 108K and its still on the original clutch, no signs of slipping. (my car has spent most of its time on the motorway). Sounds like yours has been driven hard by the previous owner/s or its spent most of its time in stop/start traffic.

Whats' the service history like on yours? any service stamps/invoices in the service book?

In fact, I recently changed my rear discs/shoes after 100K, IMHO, these IS200/300's are built to last.

Lots of Lexus service-stamps leading up to 80,000 (my next biggy, I think). The service book seems to prove the mileage - but it would take a retard to clock the mileage to not match the service history, up to the point where it was last serviced. Maybe a little toooooo convenient :unsure:

If in doubt, call up the dealers who have done the service- they will have details of the services/mileage/warranty work (if any) carried out on their records, this way you will know whether the mileage is genuine or not.

If in doubt, call up the dealers who have done the service- they will have details of the services/mileage/warranty work (if any) carried out on their records, this way you will know whether the mileage is genuine or not.

Good plan, Batman. Will do this.

Hey all.

As you may remember, I only bought my IS200 a couple of months ago.

Since then, my differential has broken and now, just when I really don't need more car-expenditures - my clutch is on the way out.

Familiar smell, nasty high-rev action with no actual movement and the horrible feeling of having 0 power when pulling away at a junction.

I realise clutches are consumables, of course... but what happened to the legendary reliability of these machines? Am I just being unlucky or something?

I'm now starting to wonder whether my IS has been clocked. It feels solid and very planted and the usual tell-tale signs seem to indicate the mileage is genuine. Despite that, my engine sounds a tad tappy/ropey on idle, every now and then. Add that to the mechanical failures recently and I'm starting wonder what the hell I've bought!

I need a laugh... anyone know how much a clutch is likely to set me back?

How unlucky are you! :/ It does sound as though there's been something seriously amiss in it's former life, I'm so sorry. My Lex isn't at its best either and I'm having to try and 'nurse it back to health'. Fortunately mine's an auto (yep, I'm a lazy driver) and the gearbox (touch tons of wood!) seems OK, but there are definite signs that all isn't as it should be. I've only had mine for 2-3 months, too. Did you contact the former keeper to ascertain if anything happened before you got it? I must say my previous Lex (identical model) was a beauty, never gave me a moment's trouble. Stupidly I updated it for this one, what an idiot, really wish I'd kept the other one; oh well we live and learn, don't we!

The dealer should have helped with both theese problems as you have not had the car long. It would be worth talking to the finance company as they would put pressure on the dealer. You could also mention Trading Standards to the dealer.What does your warranty say is covered

Yup - sounds like your car has either been clocked/neglected in it's early life or is just a lemon.

Thats a bit harsh....the previous owner may just of given it a hard life, could of been young and irresponsible or just bad driving and riding the clutch all the time.

I was referring to the diff breaking. :unsure:

Old people can be irresponsible too.

Sorry to hear about the problems your having and hope you get it sorted soon and then hopefully the lex can build your faith in it back up again.

Mine did a genuine :D 179,000 miles on the original clutch & cambelt! Changed the engine only cos the headgasket blew & I got a 47,000 miler for reasonable money. Cambelt was thin as an elastic band & clutch down to it's rivets, but just goes to show that these cars are built to last.

I just think you've been unlucky, spend some money to get it sorted & I bet you won't regret it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links