Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

700bhp Audi Rs6 - Is The Horsepower Race Going Mad?

maneesh

See here..I think it's cool that they can DO that in a relatively mainstream car..but surely you'd prefer something more exotic with all that power?

To those of you who would not like to read about any other brands apart from Lexus, please look away from the screen NOW!

700bhp Audi RS6

See here..I think it's cool that they can DO that in a relatively mainstream car..but surely you'd prefer something more exotic with all that power?

To those of you who would not like to read about any other brands apart from Lexus, please look away from the screen NOW!

700bhp Audi RS6

imo i think thats part of the appeal though, the fact its supercar power in such a discreet package. Well thats what appeals to me anyway

That is very cool, but I do think it's getting a little silly now........these cars have too much power to actually be driveable and be able to enjoy the power :shutit:

At the end of the day the Veyron may be ridiculously powerful, but I'm pretty sure a Ferrari 430 would be much more fun to drive on a track, (obviously if you're just blasting off in a straight line the veyron must be awesome!)

I have read a couple of articles on this recently in the more intelligent car mags (evo, top gear). Looks absolutly amazing.

There is an indepth article in the current evo, well worth reading, comparing the RS6 and the R8. They have virtually the exact same performance, both in a straight line and round a track. The twin turbo V10 in the TWO TONNE estate gives the same power to weight ratio as the V8 in the sports car. Same price too! As an every day car, I'd have to choose the RS. (If i had £77k spare to spend on a fast Audi, that is!)

but surely you'd prefer something more exotic with all that power?

Not if you wanna take the wife, three kids, shopping and two Labradors!

New BMW M5 to have 800bhp

Dr Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management at BMW Germany has announced that the upcoming BMW M5 will have at least 800bhp.

BMW's M5 was king of the hill with its hi-revving 507hp V10 until Mercedes released the E 63 AMG with 511hp. Surely only just a few extra horsepower but it still counts as the German premium marques compete with each other. Now, there’s a new kid in town - the twin-turbo V10 Audi RS 6. With its massive 580 horsepower under the hood, it is speculated that Audi has understated the true horsepower figure of 600hp. How long will the RS 6 hold the throne?

BMW has confirmed that the new M5 will in fact be twin turbo that is a first for there top of the line high performance M devision cars, as they are normally high revving naturally aspirated engines. This new powerhouse will have in excess of 800bhp and BMW say 0-60 will be under 4 seconds, this is to compete with the new Cadillac CTS-V that achives 0-60 in 3.9 thanks to its supercharged 6.2-litre LSA engine, has achieved SAE-certified peak output of 556 horsepower (415 kW) at 6100 rpm and 551 lb.-ft. (747 Nm) of torque at 3800 rpm.

Source: BBC Website

:o :o

I've just realised from reading the article on Top Gear that they've got most of this extra power out of just tweaking the ECU, and they haven't modified the engine at all.........

Which begs the question, if it was so simple to do, why didn't Audi do it in the first place? Or has this mod now severly compromised reliability?

I was always of the opinion that the more horses you coaxed from the engine, there was a compromise in reliability. As nice as the Bugatti Veyron is, I can't see it munching up the mile that an LS400/430/460 would.

But still, 700bhp, I'd love that in the LS.

New BMW M5 to have 800bhp

Dr Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management at BMW Germany has announced that the upcoming BMW M5 will have at least 800bhp.

BMW's M5 was king of the hill with its hi-revving 507hp V10 until Mercedes released the E 63 AMG with 511hp. Surely only just a few extra horsepower but it still counts as the German premium marques compete with each other. Now, there’s a new kid in town - the twin-turbo V10 Audi RS 6. With its massive 580 horsepower under the hood, it is speculated that Audi has understated the true horsepower figure of 600hp. How long will the RS 6 hold the throne?

BMW has confirmed that the new M5 will in fact be twin turbo that is a first for there top of the line high performance M devision cars, as they are normally high revving naturally aspirated engines. This new powerhouse will have in excess of 800bhp and BMW say 0-60 will be under 4 seconds, this is to compete with the new Cadillac CTS-V that achives 0-60 in 3.9 thanks to its supercharged 6.2-litre LSA engine, has achieved SAE-certified peak output of 556 horsepower (415 kW) at 6100 rpm and 551 lb.-ft. (747 Nm) of torque at 3800 rpm.

Source: BBC Website

:o :o

Haha - that's hilarious. I can just imagine all the affluent people buying 800bhp M5s only to spend most of their time stuck in traffic in city centres. Cars are loaded with gizmos and kit these days, becoming very heavy, and they need crap loads of power to remain quicker than the pack. It's a shame really, as any racing driver will tell you the way to go faster is to take weight off the car!

I was always of the opinion that the more horses you coaxed from the engine, there was a compromise in reliability.

A lot of Supra TTs out there with 500bhp+ that are "reliable" as daily drivers.

That's the best kind of performanc car. The one that looks like a sensible family wagon until it blasts the oiks in the boy racer Novas and the flash gits in the 911's into the weeds. Nice.

In answer to the original question, yes the horsepower race IS going mad.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links