Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fastest Way To Accelerate In Automatic?

You are on a 30 mph road and suddenly a sign comes up for 50 mph or even suppose the National Speed limit (60 or 70 mph depending on the carriage way). To reach that speed do you use a combination of these?

1.kick-down

2.shift from D to 3

3.use sports "PWR button" mode?

I really like the IS' auto box in that you can move it left and right as well as up and down - it's more fun!

I just think an auto looks more modern than a manual visually?

Also I think the dash is missing something without the automatic transmission indicator lights in the bottom right corner?

Finally in busy traffic I sometimes shift to 3 (from D) as it 'feels' there's more braking and less chance of hitting the car in front - if that makes sense!

You are on a 30 mph road and suddenly a sign comes up for 50 mph or even suppose the National Speed limit (60 or 70 mph depending on the carriage way). To reach that speed do you use a combination of these?

1.kick-down

2.shift from D to 3

3.use sports "PWR button" mode?

or 4. Gently increase pressure through your right foot on the accelerator.

What's your mpg Japthree?

Also I think the dash is missing something without the automatic transmission indicator lights in the bottom right corner?

Mine has the lights in the corner. I thought they all did?

I think that japthree is saying that he thinks the dash looks better if you have an auto because you get those lights there.

i think Japthree lives his life 1/4 mile at a time

LMAO @ Mat :lol:

To the OP, I kinda know what you're saying, normally just boot it and let it kick down automatically - only time I do anything else is if I'm trying to change lanes in heavy traffic, I'll manually shift down to 3 or 2 (accordingly) so the power's available straight away.

Btw, I always run with the PWR button on so that isn't an issue B)

Going from 30 to 50?

Happens so quickly on an is300 that hard to notice any difference between the methods............on those occasions when I'm not stuck behind someone.

I suppose it all depends how lazy you're feeling - I tend to just kick-down and only use the semi-auto for going round corners when feeling macho (so balance up the car on throttle), and leave the pwr switch off until I get some clear road (a rare sight where I live). If I had an is200 I'd leave the pwr switch on and just use the kick-down.

On a separate subject, have you tried left-foot braking? It allows you to get on the throttle quicker after braking, amongst other things.

One thing you can do is manually select a good gear for acceleration just before getting to the speed limit sign. If you are travelling at 30mph, move your gear selector from drive into position 2. Therefore you have prepared for acceleration without having to wait for the kickdown to do its thing. Don't forget to shift it back to position 3 as it approaches the red line and then back to drive. I hope I am right in asuming that the IS200 has a 4 speed auto. Please don't shoot me or hold me responsible if it all ends in alot of smoke and a very big bill. :whistling:

Lets face it unless you've got a charger its not going to set the road alight is it , its a big heavy motor and its not a hot hatch if you want that sort of thrill you'll have to go down the very hot hatch route as I have .Sorry

If you want a Renault hot hatch it surely has to be the 255bhp 3ltr V6. They are poky motors, although for a car weighing only 1400kg with a 3ltr V6 they should probably be quicker still.

Renault?

Factor in the time it's broke or in a garage and a Lexus wins 9 times out of 10 (I should know, I've had 3 Renaults and used to work on a rate of 3,000 miles per breakdown!).

The subject was automatics - my Renault automatic expired in a £3,000 puff of smoke one month after the warranty ran out (and no, Renault wouldn't contribute).

That said, the best car I ever owned before my is300 was a Renault 5 GT Turbo - a real man's car, no electronics, no air-con, no ABS, set of tyres and brake pads every 10,000 miles - Clios are for wimps. Ha ha.

Lets face it unless you've got a charger its not going to set the road alight is it , its a big heavy motor and its not a hot hatch if you want that sort of thrill you'll have to go down the very hot hatch route as I have .Sorry

If you want a Renault hot hatch it surely has to be the 255bhp 3ltr V6. They are poky motors, although for a car weighing only 1400kg with a 3ltr V6 they should probably be quicker still.

When you do a little delving dave apart from a minimal top speed difference the 172's and 182's are up there with the 255 its only top end it starts to creep away but it creeps slowly and the downside to the 255 is when you have to turn around and race back the 172 7182's have done it in 3 points and are gone and the 255 need about 15 points LOL

Renault?

Factor in the time it's broke or in a garage and a Lexus wins 9 times out of 10 (I should know, I've had 3 Renaults and used to work on a rate of 3,000 miles per breakdown!).

The subject was automatics - my Renault automatic expired in a £3,000 puff of smoke one month after the warranty ran out (and no, Renault wouldn't contribute).

That said, the best car I ever owned before my is300 was a Renault 5 GT Turbo - a real man's car, no electronics, no air-con, no ABS, set of tyres and brake pads every 10,000 miles - Clios are for wimps. Ha ha.

Ha Ha yeah 5 turbo's were mad but times move on eh big comfy cas guzzling heavy limo types , 200 300 who cares I'll race ya !! Ha Ha

When you do a little delving dave apart from a minimal top speed difference the 172's and 182's are up there with the 255 its only top end it starts to creep away but it creeps slowly and the downside to the 255 is when you have to turn around and race back the 172 7182's have done it in 3 points and are gone and the 255 need about 15 points LOL

Only top end? 5.6 sec against 7.0 aint just top end :whistling: . However I still think it should be quicker. The extra 15mph top end is purely academic in UK. Turning circle is a lot tighter on 172 I agree, but it wouldn't affect it if you spin a 180 handbrake turn :driving: .

> I think that japthree is saying that he thinks the dash looks better if you have an auto because you get those lights there.

Yeah, it "completes" the circle on the right hand side with the fuel gauge on top; then you have the speedometer in the centre and the rev counter on the left --- otherwise the lower right looks a bit empty under the security indicator light? See page xii of the owner's manual. IMHO!

My point was on an auto you can simply kick-down to accelerate from 30mph to 50+mph (not reading the road is not the issue) and optionally have PWR button on and optionally shift to "3" from "D" as well. I suppose kick-down drops the gear to "3" so if you are in "3" already and kick-down it goes to "2"?

.... whereas on a manual you'd shift to 3 usually (only)....

On page 161 (owner's manual) item 6 is in bold and says "If you need to accelerate still more, exert more force to depress the accelerator pedal beyond the full throttle position to turn on the "kick-down" switch. (Left hand drive vehicle only)"

Does that mean UK auto ISs don't have kick-down as we are right hand drive?!?

(We are right hand drive but drive on the left-hand side of the road, correct? I once asked a driving instructor and he said we are left-hand drive as we drive on the left hand side of the road but I didn't want to correct him as he was the driving instructor!)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links