Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Draper Air Bag

Tango

Anybody have one of these or used one before? It comes with two protective mats, one for the ground and the other for the underside of the car. Inflates from the exhaust...takes about 50 secs at idling speed.

Not sure if it would damage the engine, but it would obviously put pressure on the exhaust connections, and if you had some corrosion it could blow a hole (mine's stainless in the vulnerable areas so should be fine).

Thinking of getting one because:

1. my trolley jack will not go under my car without a little help from a scissor or bottle jack to lift it a little :blush:

2. It would be useful if for any reason I needed to lift a car off soft ground...at a meet/racetrack car park etc.

Would need to purchase an adaptor to fit my larger pipes and also a blanking plug to blank off one of the tailpipes.

airbagrf2.jpg

personaly.. i would only look to using that for emergencys.. what is to stop it deflating?

I would opt for buying a low level jack.. far safer if you ask me if your gonna work on the car as such..

that would probably be good if your a non mechanical person chaning a tyre at the side of the road...

personaly.. i would only look to using that for emergencys.. what is to stop it deflating?

I'm presuming it's got a non return valve in the neck of the bag.

I would opt for buying a low level jack.. far safer if you ask me if your gonna work on the car as such..

The car would be on axle stands if I was working on it...just need to lift it.

that would probably be good if your a non mechanical person chaning a tyre at the side of the road...

I am a qualified mechanical engineer, but even so I don't think you have to be a 'mechanical person' to use a scissor jack, but you do have to have level and stable ground to use one.

You haven't had any experience of using one then???

we had one come in but threw it away at work as we couldnt see that it would be overly safe as there is nothing to stop it moving about once inflated.. unlike a solid jack.. also a non return valve is great.. but not if someone punctures it.. personaly i couldnt justify the H&S risk of it collapsing, where as our normal jacks and lifts etc get safety inspections and tests on a yearly basis.

as for not needing to be a mechanical person to use a jack.. yes thats true.. but then ask a lot of motorists who purely use a car as an A-B (i.e. no love for it just use it till it dies) vehicle how they would jack up a car.. and where.. they would probably not know or say phone the AA..

I could only see that as an occasional use "get me home" item.. but then thats my personal opinion..

we had one come in but threw it away at work as we couldnt see that it would be overly safe as there is nothing to stop it moving about once inflated.. unlike a solid jack.. also a non return valve is great.. but not if someone punctures it.. personaly i couldnt justify the H&S risk of it collapsing, where as our normal jacks and lifts etc get safety inspections and tests on a yearly basis.

as for not needing to be a mechanical person to use a jack.. yes thats true.. but then ask a lot of motorists who purely use a car as an A-B (i.e. no love for it just use it till it dies) vehicle how they would jack up a car.. and where.. they would probably not know or say phone the AA..

I could only see that as an occasional use "get me home" item.. but then thats my personal opinion..

#

plus we have had more than one customer who came in for a new petrol tank becuase they jacked the car up on it and it pierced through.. 3 seichentos (fiat thing) so far...

well if they are good enough for the fire brigade to use :whistling:

Hell yeah i would have a fire brigade one.. just not a home use (i.e once a year numpty proof one).. but then i imagine that the material is about 10 times as thick and strong

we have a set of fire brigade spec jaws of life at work for cutting off cats.. and they are so much better speced than the normal cat cutter tools for every day use

Hell yeah i would have a fire brigade one.. just not a home use (i.e once a year numpty proof one).. but then i imagine that the material is about 10 times as thick and strong

we have a set of fire brigade spec jaws of life at work for cutting off cats.. and they are so much better speced than the normal cat cutter tools for every day use

??

the blow up jack in question states it is capable of lifting 3 tons

now if it has that written on it, i presume it is capable of lifting that, i imagine it has passed many rigorous tests to be able to state that

i dont believe for one minute that a well established company like draper would sell something that is dangerous or even could be construed as

the average IS250 weighs about 1500kg, and that is the total weight, not just the weight of effectively one corner

for the average motorist they are perfectly adequate and safe, probably more so than the flimsy scissor jack which Lexus provides !

now if we could all have 4 poster lifts and spanners made of titanium i am sure we would, but i believe that might be slight overkill

??

now if it has that written on it, i presume it is capable of lifting that, i imagine it has passed many rigorous tests to be able to state that

i dont believe for one minute that a well established company like draper would sell something that is dangerous or even could be construed as

the average IS250 weighs about 1500kg, and that is the total weight, not just the weight of effectively one corner

for the average motorist they are perfectly adequate and safe, probably more so than the flimsy scissor jack which Lexus provides !

now if we could all have 4 poster lifts and spanners made of titanium i am sure we would, but i believe that might be slight overkill

now your being silly Barrie....Titanium spanners :unsure:

why would you need them

??

now your being silly Barrie....Titanium spanners :unsure:

why would you need them

i guess your not a proper mechanic Mathew if you haven't got a set :P

why would you need 10 ton fire brigade cushions to lift less than 1 ton :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links