Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Exhaust Pipe

My IS200 Sport seems to have lost the chrome tip add-on that I presume it came with (it's a 1999 model). Is it worth me trying to polish the tip, and will it come up well if I do that ? Or because it's an early model will is the pipe not likely to look that great even if it's cleaned up ?

Has anyone tried this on the earlier cars ?

Not sure the 99s had the tip. You coming to the Ace Cafe tomorrow night? In which case i may have a prezzy for ya!

EDIT: Just checked the thread and ur not. Oh well. Dont think its worth a polish dude either way.

Not sure the 99s had the tip. You coming to the Ace Cafe tomorrow night? In which case i may have a prezzy for ya!

EDIT: Just checked the thread and ur not. Oh well. Dont think its worth a polish dude either way.

There's an outside chance I'll make it, but if so it'll be late on. I'm doing something else that evening and it depends on whether I can get away in time.

I think so, bolt at the bottom. My friend has a 99 sport aswell with chrome tip. Think it was standard with the car.

Yeah, that's the bit I'm missing (either nicked or just fallen off, I guess). So I was wondering if there's any point trying to polish the existing pipe. Since I don't think it's stainless/chromed, I doubt it's going to come up looking particularly attractive.

I think so, bolt at the bottom. My friend has a 99 sport aswell with chrome tip. Think it was standard with the car.

Yeah, that's the bit I'm missing (either nicked or just fallen off, I guess). So I was wondering if there's any point trying to polish the existing pipe. Since I don't think it's stainless/chromed, I doubt it's going to come up looking particularly attractive.

Steve i've got my original exhaust in my shed, i'll get it out and see what can be done with it and see if i can get it to a shine?

Might be a case of using a fine sand paper to start then going onto a fine wet and dry then onto the autosol to polish it up?

The only problem i can see from polishing the standard tip would be that you'd need to protect it in some way with laquer or maintain it by polishing it at regular times :unsure:

But i'll see how mine comes up and let you know if its worth doing :D

Or another thought is try and find one of the later IS200 rear boxes, as they have a polished tip under the black paint when you clean it off :)

Mine is a 2004 Sport and doesn't have a chrome tipped exhaust. Was it supposed to? It looks like the standard IS exhaust, which seems to have a matt black finish.

Question is, is this black colour just dirt that will clean off or is it intended to look like that?

Reason is that I've got some silver overspray on the back box from where the bumper was painted by the previous owner. I was going to get some thinners and strip the silver paint off, but I'm not sure how it will look afterwards.

The post 2001 cars all had the same exhaust, which had a chrome tip (not bolted on, the actual tip was chrome)

Yep clean and polish it up, and it will look great.

yeh mines a late 2001 and has chrome tip,was nearly black before i polished it :)

if your not sure if the tip is chrome and dont want to spend time polishing,just get a stanley blade and give it

a scratch in a small area, if its chrome underneath you know you got to get the polish out :)

Bump! What do people think - is the pipe on my car supposed to be chrome?

nah mate. looks exactly the same as mine. youre right its steel.

Im looking out for one of those screw on chrome tips but apparently theyre like gold dust now.

Ads

The exhaust off my car is below - is this definitely the type that should be chrome? If it is I'm surprised, thought it was a steel exhaust exit, not chrome!

exhaustexit.jpg

yes mate mine looked like that when i bought it from lexus, now its all polished up :)

just get a blade and scratch the surface ( out of site area )

• 2 weeks later...
The exhaust off my car is below - is this definitely the type that should be chrome? If it is I'm surprised, thought it was a steel exhaust exit, not chrome!

exhaustexit.jpg

yes mate mine looked like that when i bought it from lexus, now its all polished up :)

just get a blade and scratch the surface ( out of site area )

anybody have any luck with this :)

anybody have any luck with this :)

Not me, busy sorting other probs at the moment :)

I might get round to it in a few weeks.

What's people's suggestions for what to use. A metal polish?

I used auto Glym metal polish on my Kaz1 stainless steel exhaust and it looked good as new, brilliant stuff :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links