Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Stability And Handing

I hate the handling - it always feels wobbly into corners and feels like the car is lifting when you slam it into a corner really hard.

I had a peugeot 406 sri turbo before this and i can honestly say the peugeot would out handle the IS200 in all conditions.

Pity you don't live a bit closer, I'd be very interested to compare your car against mine. Like you I was worried about the handling of my car to start off with, and my previous car definitely outhandled it. But now the gap is a lot closer.

I think what happens with some IS's (not saying this is yours) is people get the tyre wear problem and after a while get sick of paying a fortune for expensive tyres that get shredded in no time, so they end up buying budget tyres. This then ruins the handling of the car completely. This is what happened with my car anyway.

If anyone in the North West is not sure about the handing of their IS give me a shout, I would be interested to compare to see if mine is spot on now or whether it could be better :)

Im currently using the Dunlop SP9000 tyres not the 'L' version though. The tyres i dont seem to find a problem its not like the car suddenly snatches out on me. Infact i have to slap the clutch in most often when i want to get the back end out (i've never agreed with using the handbrake, its too violent)

It's mainly the high speed cornering - you come flying round a corner and one side just seems to get incredibally light. I think im going to get some Tein Super Streets and set the damper as stiff as it will go....

I'll let you know mid November :D

Might have loadsa piccys to post too. Gonna fit Eibachs, C-One Arbs, Mintex Discs and Pads all round and Front+Rear TRD Lips!! Might get some front shocks (rears needed to be replaced recently and lowering might make them die) and braided brake lines as well to go with it!!! I'm very excited.

Might have loadsa piccys to post too. Gonna fit Eibachs, C-One Arbs, Mintex Discs and Pads all round and Front+Rear TRD Lips!! Might get some front shocks (rears needed to be replaced recently and lowering might make them die) and braided brake lines as well to go with it!!! I'm very exited.

Sounds great ! :D

Oh, and big thanks to you for the exhaust tip ! :D

I had a nasty ditch recently. But other thank that I have always found the handling to be pretty good, even in the wet. I'm running Tein Coilovers and Yokohama Parada II rubber on lightweight 18s. But ARBs are planned once its back on the road and after the impact the wheel took, a good old WIM.

I think the general handling is good, But what does annoy me is the really poor acceleration. I must say it's got to be the worst car for this I have ever owned.

It's quite bad when you can be beaten of the lights by Saxos :(

The handling on the IS is actually pretty good, you've got to do something pretty stupid to really get yourself in trouble, and it's never caught me out (except once when my geo was way out)

Have to say though having made the switch from Dunlop SP9000s to Goodyear Eagle F1As the handling has improved even further........

how big a job is it to change the ARBs. i aint ever done it before. and whats best set to induce more oversteer??

think i read about it on here somewhere but cant see it now

ARB's are a very easy install...... What are your intentions with oversteer? there are loads of ways to induce this.

i drive all sorts of cars at work and my stock IS200 handles brilliantly in comparison. I havent had the slightest twitch in in 18 months as i dont drive like a :tsktsk:

is that the kiss of death or what :tomato:

how big a job is it to change the ARBs. i aint ever done it before. and whats best set to induce more oversteer??

ARB's are a very easy install...... What are your intentions with oversteer? there are loads of ways to induce this.

always prefer more oversteer than understear but would like a bit more tail happy as well as stiffer ride

always prefer more oversteer than understear but would like a bit more tail happy as well as stiffer ride

Well the ARB's won't stiffen the ride only control the transition during weight transfer... A less aggressive means to apply oversteer is by the Geometry rather than a more direct mechanical change.

I find mine is bad in the wet, but in the dry it sticks to the road like poo poo to a blanket...

mines lowered about 70-90mm with d2 racing suspension and is set up for handling, also got 225's and front 245's on the back on my 18's, the engine is bog standard but i can take round abouts at 60 on dry roads but in the wet the traction control light comes on all of the time and the car is very rear end happy. good fun though :P

Well the ARB's won't stiffen the ride only control the transition during weight transfer... A less aggressive means to apply oversteer is by the Geometry rather than a more direct mechanical change.

well when i say stiffer i mean less roll round bends. had the geo set to the -35 settings of here.

well when i say stiffer i mean less roll round bends. had the geo set to the -35 settings of here.

I see....... Well if you find she's pushing then you will have to dial some of the rear camber out, probably about 30' maybe more.

I see....... Well if you find she's pushing then you will have to dial some of the rear camber out, probably about 30' maybe more.

you mean bring it back towards straight? would the arbs make a noticable difference round corners?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links