Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the price of a second hand IS250 SE-L Auto MM has increased since Jan - Feb 09? Back then I looked at a 57 plate sliver IS250 SE-L Auto MM with 7000 miles on the clock at the Bristol dealer which was advertised at £18999. There were many other examples being advertised at lexus dealers around the country around that time at this price.

Nowadays, similar cars on a 57 plate are now being advertised at dealers for £21.995, even though these cars are now older :angry:

Was this price drop in Jan- Feb due to the new number plate being released in March, and if so, is it likely that this trend will occur again come September?

I started looking at the Lexus web site for a 57 to 58 plate IS250 SEL or SE automatic with MM last August. Prices were generally lower last Oct-Dec but there were also a lot more cars for sale. I think Lexus dealers were then cutting prices to help reduce their stock levels due to the state of the market and that now the more restricted supply of nearly new cars has pushed prices back up. If stocking levels have actually had more of an impact on prices than "normal" seasonal effects, the same price trend may not be repeated later this year.

i have a mate who works in a ford garage in sales, he told me that prior to christmas he gave a customer book value on a focus of 7k then went on to sell at 8.2k

he now cant buy one from a closed auction for 8.2k, the prices on affordable used second hand cars have risen so maybe lexus think that there is a demand for 20k used cars at the moment?

Thanks for the replies. Yes it does look like I should have bought back in Feb! Hindsight is a wonderful thing

Its not just Lexus, but BMW prices have also risen - dare I say it is the same for most cars across the board. These current prices are ridiculously inflated IMHO and I cannot believe are willing to pay them.

By contrast, Jan/Feb prices were more realistic and with confidence at its lowest, it appears to have been the best time to buy. Keeping prices so high is today in such a climate seems insane to me...but I guess people are buying.

Its not just Lexus, but BMW prices have also risen - dare I say it is the same for most cars across the board. These current prices are ridiculously inflated IMHO and I cannot believe are willing to pay them.

By contrast, Jan/Feb prices were more realistic and with confidence at its lowest, it appears to have been the best time to buy. Keeping prices so high is today in such a climate seems insane to me...but I guess people are buying.

Bought a new car (not Lexus) in March and that semed to be the time to get the bargains - they were biting my hand off to close a deal before the end of March.

Yes, our other car is a 6MPS and the used prices have risen over the past 3 months for the same car. What could be happening is that there are so few really late models about because of the recession that ppl are buying older cars (2-3 years old). This demand increases prices across the board especially with the "highly desirables".

There are fewer new cars being sold. Fewer cars and a simmilar number of drivers, it's just supply and demand.

I never did understand why anyone would buy a car brand new, the depreciation was always too high for the first couple of years.

A smaller price gap between new and one and two year old cars would seem logical now, since people have less money to throw away.

I've noticed at significant price increase on two year old IS250 SE-l since last october (At least £1000).

Used car prices for IS 250's are definately going up.

I had been looking for a 1 to 2 year old 250 MM in Brechin Slate with Beige leather since March (having gladly got rid of my Mercedes C class Sports Coupe - make sure you have plenty of padding if you buy one - the suspension is very hard).

My local Lexus Dealer tried to find me one through the Dealership network. He found one but the price increased when he tried to buy it. He located another but they told him it was sold - it appeared on the same Lexus dealers site with a £1500 price increase the next day.

About 6 weeks later I located a car myself at Lexus Exeter, on a 57 plate but only covered 700 miles and the full spec which I wanted.

I flew over to Exeter from Belfast and the car was exactly as described, the staff at Lexus Exeter were extremely helpful and I would like to highly recommend this dealership

I drove the car from Exeter to Liverpool the same day - a complete dream - at Liverpool I regretted not having booked a crossing from Stranraer!!!

Scott

Used car prices for IS 250's are definately going up.

You're absolutely right. I bought an IS250SE Auto MM from Derby in May - last of the 07 platers (end August 2007) with 11000 on the closk for just under £18k.

I finally persuaded my mate (after he rode in it last week) to look for one similar, and he's tried everywhere over the last 7 days - they're all at least 2k more! :crying:

Still - these things go in cycles. Maybe once the scrappage money dries up the prices will fall back again?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replies everyone. Been out of the country for the past 2 months, but im about to come back in the next couple of weeks, at which point i would like to purchaise and IS250 SE-L.

Does anyone have any suggestions when it would be the best time to purchaise one second hand? I.e. Start of september when the new plate comes out etc?

Not sure that is an easy one to answer mate. Too many variables to give you a specific answer. You need to find a willing dealer IMHO - and that may mean you looking further afield to find the right dealer and car.

I would suggest XMAS time would be best, but that depends if you can wait that long and how the economy is doing!

I have been looking for many months for a 2-3 year old IS250 SE with MM of specific colour and trim and there are just very few examples around. By the time you eliminate any high mileage and tired looking ones there are hardly any available, hence the prices will and have been going up. Good examples don't hang around so I guess it's market conditions. Dealers are not getting in the second hand stock since people are not buying new cars leading to shortages and higher prices. I just kept a daily track on the web site and set up alerts on both the Lexus one and Autotrader. Thanks.

In my experience, if you are very specific about the spec you want, life gets very difficult. A simple reason is that what you want, lots of others want so the used car supply is poor, especially in these economic times. Perhaps seperating the "essential" from the "desirable" might help. Best of luck anyway.

I have been looking for many months for a 2-3 year old IS250 SE with MM of specific colour and trim and there are just very few examples around. By the time you eliminate any high mileage and tired looking ones there are hardly any available, hence the prices will and have been going up. Good examples don't hang around so I guess it's market conditions. Dealers are not getting in the second hand stock since people are not buying new cars leading to shortages and higher prices. I just kept a daily track on the web site and set up alerts on both the Lexus one and Autotrader. Thanks.

What colour are you looking for... might be changing my Cardxoton slate with cream leather... '08 plate.

What colour are you looking for... might be changing my Cardxoton slate with cream leather... '08 plate.

Cadoxton slate or Argento ice with black leather and MM.

Cadoxton slate or Argento ice with black leather and MM.

Well if you change your mind ;) Interesting though the point about price increases... my 18 month old car is now worth about £1000 more for p/x than Parkers were suggesting a little while back B)

The general consensus is that prices on used Lexus have increased this year and this is true.

Between Spring and Christmas last year, used car values plummeted, especially in the premium and 4X4 sectors,

which were hit hardest.

Customers tightened their belts and non-essential purchases went on the back-boiler.

Because Lexus' stock(and everyone elses, for that matter!) kept increasing, dealers were placed under

increasing pressure to move new cars. This was fine if buyers made themselves known but because used

values were dropping so severely (as per CAP and Glass' Guide), dealers had to buy the part-exchanges in at

the right price i.e. in line with depreciation and this LED to retail prices adjusting down also

The result was, as some posters have mentioned, that used Lexus became extremely good value for money

and good two year old IS, for example, were to be had for not a lot of money. GS and LS even more so.

Come 2009, Lexus GB cut their order to the factory at the start of the year in order to adjust to the market.

Now, as there are less cars, fewer have been registered by Lexus GB and the network as demonstrators.

This has lead to a shortage of nearly-new cars and, on a sliding basis, has obviously pushed used prices

back to near their normal levels i.e. around late 2007/ early 2008.

As an example, an IS220d SE (non MM) on an 06 plate with, say, 20k on retailed at around £12,500-£13,000 in December

2008. Now, that car would easily sell for £13,500-£14,000 in today's market.

Also last year, dealers could source demonstrator cars from Lexus GB directly if they had an order. Now, all the cars

are processed through Lexus' online auction in order to maximise their price.

It is, indeed, all about demand and supply!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links