Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

I'm about to purchase a used SE with MM. At my local dealer they have the manual and automatic in 2 cars with similar mileage. Of course the automatic is about £1k more but i'm really unsure which one to get. I have driven both cars and I like them both, just wondered what other peoples opinions where on the manual vs automatic debate?

I too am close to buying an IS250 MM and until I drove the auto I thought I was a lover manual boxes. I found the IS250 manual to have a very high take up of the clutch and a very notchy shift. It wasn't a particulary smooth get away in 1st and I am therefore a convert to the auto. Also as the others have said, the VED banding is higher for the manual. I will be getting the auto.

Also just to add, I said to the salesman I wanted a manual but after weekend test drives in both cars he made the case stick for an auto. It really suits the car.

Hi,

I'm about to purchase a used SE with MM. At my local dealer they have the manual and automatic in 2 cars with similar mileage. Of course the automatic is about £1k more but i'm really unsure which one to get. I have driven both cars and I like them both, just wondered what other peoples opinions where on the manual vs automatic debate?

No brainer, automatic has best of both with the paddle change/optional stick change. Bought my 250 new in 2005 and specified the auto after driving the demonstrator. Always had manual gearboxes before and was convinced any auto would be less sporty and would also soak up bhp, but the Lexus auto box changed my mind on both counts. Never had cause to regret it either. :)

Hi,

Auto is the only option. Remember that when new the auto was a grand more than the manual price, so assuming the used ones you are looking at are very similar spec, colour, mileage etc, then the auto shouldn't still suffer the same premium over the manual.......get the price lower.

As with many choices like this, it's down to your own personal preference.

It's all well and good asking the general concensus of what other people think you should go for (which is what advice is all about) but at the end of the day, I suggest that you really need to take both cars out for a decent test drive (puttingthem both through a similar pattern of conditions and speeds) and see what YOU like/ prefer.

I took 3 cars out, Diesel, Petrol Auto and petrol manual. Before I did this I was going to go for the diesel, but once driving the petrol version, the diesel was discarded.

I then drove the Petrol manual, and yes the gearbox was "kicky" and not the smoothest drive in the world thoughI did find that I got better changing gear during the drive.

The Auto was a lot smoother - agreed - but I have to confess, it bored me, and I've never been able to get on withthe paddles (had them on my Alfa a while back & hated them then).

So I went for the petrol manual, as you can probably gather. Had it 5 months now and have "mastered" the gear change somewhat (with the occassional lapse). I've never had any problems getting away in 1st either.

At the end of the day, it's down to what you prefer as I said above, but do make sure you give both a decent test drive.

Good luck & happy driving!

I've had the Sport MM for two years and I've driven many autos (250,220,LS,RX etc) and I can honestly say the auto is disappointing, slow and rather boring compared to the manual. I prefer to feel and choose to shift gears as I see fit rather than a silicon chip. The only advantage IMO is the road tax and long distance driving but saying that if you can afford a £25,000+ car I am sure you can afford an extra £50 on the road tax :)

My 2pence worth.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links