Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Window Tint Is200

Hi,

Is there any element of tint in the front and rear windows on the IS200 at all? If so roughly how much percentage?

I gather the sport version is about 40% tinted in the rear.

Certainly my IS200 side windows look tinted (even so in the rear ones) compared to the windscreen and compared to any other untinted car. :withstupid:

i supppose the only way to be certain would be to park by the side of an IS 200 or a sport and just see if there is a difference. But lexus models are rare gems anyway!

On the Sport & 300, Lexus use what they call "privacy" glass for the rear passenger doors & rear windscreen, which I think is a 40% tint. The front passenger doors and windscreen are only very slightly tinted (say about 5-10%).

There are companies that can apply a fine plastic film to the inside of the glass to make it more tinted (I had it done to mine), and in the UK the legal limit is 35% for the front passenger windows (that's according to my Lexus dealer who I arranged it thru).

Not sure about whether they have to remove the glass or not to do it. No adverse effects tho, just makes the car look even more cool B) ;)

If you want to see what all round tints look like, check out the pictures that "Advance" has just posted of his IS300 in the US. Very nice... B) B)

when tinting all the windows do they remove them ?

and are there any bad consequences through doing this ?

a good quality tinter will remove them yes, but other than him/her forgetting to plug the elctrics back in, there should be no other issues...

in the UK the legal limit is 35% for the front passenger windows (that's according to my Lexus dealer who I arranged it thru).

They advised you wrong I'm afraid pal....

Extract taken from the Department of Transport Website:

LIGHT TRANSMISSION OF GLAZING - Summary of requirements

Motor vehicles first used between 1/6/1978 and 31/3/1985 must have windows which allow at least 70% of light to pass through. Motor vehicles first used on or after 1/4/1985 must have windscreens which allow at least 75% of light to pass through - all other windows must admit at least 70% of light.

These requirements do not apply to:

any part of the windscreen outside the ‘vision reference zone’ (as defined in C&U# Regulation 32(13));

windows through which the driver is unable, at any time, to see the road;

windows in ambulances which are behind the driver’s seat;

windows in buses, goods vehicles, locomotives or motor tractors which are behind the driver’s seat (except those which face the rear - as defined by C&U# Regulation 32(12) - or which form all or part of an exterior door); and

windows in cars which are fitted behind the driver’s seat and which bear an ‘e’ mark indicating type approval to the European glazing Directive 92/22/EC.

Tinted film

C&U# Regulation 32 does not specifically prohibit any window from having a tinted film applied, but a window with a tinted film which takes light transmittance levels below those specified above could be interpreted as contravening the Regulation.

If a vehicle's windows were excessively tinted by the use of stick-on film or a spray, there may be a contravention of C&U# Regulation 30. This requires that all glass or other materials fitted must be maintained in such a condition that it does not obscure the vision of the driver. Again, it does not specifically prohibit those windows from having a tinted film applied, but doing so could be interpreted as contravening the Regulation.

Department of Transport Window Glazing Page

If you want to see what all round tints look like, check out the pictures that "Advance" has just posted of his IS300 in the US. Very nice... B) B)

i think this is the picture you are talking about.

dsc01178.jpg

my windows only allow 20%light to filter thru. I see Zee found out the law is only 70 or 75% light. Wow, my windows much be really illegal in the UK. The US allows down to 35%light to filter thru depending on which state you live in, so it makes my windows still illegal, but the police dont care as much as long as we roll down the window when a police officer approaches the car (cuz they dont want to be shot! lol).

As for install...They usually DO NOT take the window out. A very good installer will be able to get every part of the window tinted without taking out the glass. They apply a very thin film using soap, water, and a heat gun. Mine were done without the removel of the glass and they are perfect, so no worries :) .

LIGHT TRANSMISSION OF GLAZING - Summary of requirements

Motor vehicles first used between 1/6/1978 and 31/3/1985 must have windows which allow at least 70% of light to pass through. Motor vehicles first used on or after 1/4/1985 must have windscreens which allow at least 75% of light to pass through - all other windows must admit at least 70% of light.

SO IF IM READING THIS CORRECT

the front side windows can only have 30% tint, but as they have a slight tint anyway this must reduce it further

to stay legal

what is the % tint on the sport rears ?

• 4 weeks later...

So do we agree that the standard IS200 SE (UK) does not come with any tinted windows..?

The maximum amount of "tinting" legally allowed is 25% on the windscreen, driver, and front passenger windows. 30% "tinting" is the legal limit allowed on the back passenger and rear window.

Most garages are likely *NOT* to take your window out, but a good quality "tinter" will remove the windows to ensure they do a good "tinting" job.

Has anyone had any "tints" done in the UK, and about how much does it cost?

Watching breakfast TV the other day (Tuesday) and they did a piece on the Police checking window tints. (front windows)

They also said it would be becoming a common thing that they will be looking at.

(GIVE ME STRENGTH :shutit: )

So do we agree that the standard IS200 SE (UK) does not come with any tinted windows..?

NO, even on the SE ( not sure about the S but expect it to be the same) there IS a very slight amount of window tint - put your window down a bit and look thru the window and compare it when not looking through the window.

zee, thankyou for your very informative piece about the regs of window tinting. there was a recent clip on tv news about some poor family who were unable to go on hols because their windows were tinted over the limit. ;) ;) gds

zee, thankyou for your very informative piece about the regs of window tinting. there was a recent clip on tv news about some poor family who were unable to go on hols because their windows were tinted over the limit. ;) ;) gds

No problemo......... :winky:

ADVANCE Posted on May 24 2003, 08:31 AM

They usually DO NOT take the window out.

In the U.K a professional installer WILL take out the windows and go right to the edges

rather than have a gap all the way round(the old days).

The only thing to do after its done is not to operate elec/windows for about 24hrs to allow

them to dry out enough and settle.

Bazza i dont know what the % is on the rears but you can go as dark as you want on the rears

its only the fronts that have to let 70% through.

:D :D

ADVANCE Posted on May 24 2003, 08:31 AM
They usually DO NOT take the window out.

In the U.K a professional installer WILL take out the windows and go right to the edges

rather than have a gap all the way round(the old days).

Does anybody know a good pro installer, in the Essex, Herts, Kent London, areas.

The only thing to do after its done is not to operate elec/windows for about 24hrs to allow

this is correct in this nice, summery weather :D

but - in the cold, this needs to be a few days.

small addendum for those reading this thread at some point in the future!

this is correct in this nice, summery weather :D

but - in the cold, this needs to be a few days.

small addendum for those reading this thread at some point in the future!

I had my tints done during the winter months. I was told not to operate the windows for 5 days and not to turn on the rear heated windscreen for 10 days :unsure:

Has anyone had any "tints" done in the UK, and about how much does it cost?

Question still remains... I am after some pricing, as are a few other people it looks like.

Thanks for the info. about needing to leave the windows alone for a few days... never heard that one before.

Also, are the "tints" child-proof... as in if a little two-year-old started to scrape his finger nails down the window would the "tinting" come off..?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links