Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Trc/snowcontrol

I found trc on made the car too unpredictable on ice. On wet or dry roads it works very well but ice seems to confuse it a little. The snow button is great though, toning down the throttle response makes pulling away so much easier.

Not a lot of snow around here today, but so far I have found snow-mode(with the VSC on) quite helpful and the whole experience was not as bad as had been hinted at... easy with the right foot, of course.

Had TRC off and snow on this morning- tried to get up a hill (fairly steep, prob bout a 1 in 5 hill) and got half way and slid back time and time again. Corsas passats, even a volvo passed me out and flew up it not a bother... Tried again with TRC on. even worse, couldnt get anywhere near half way. Is the lexus so awful on ice just because theres no weight over the rear wheels or what is it??

Had TRC off and snow on this morning- tried to get up a hill (fairly steep, prob bout a 1 in 5 hill) and got half way and slid back time and time again. Corsas passats, even a volvo passed me out and flew up it not a bother... Tried again with TRC on. even worse, couldnt get anywhere near half way. Is the lexus so awful on ice just because theres no weight over the rear wheels or what is it??

Thats exactly right. Also the wide tyres dont help things. Its the same with BMW's and Merc's.

Been out again today and found it a bit easier to turn off trc with snow control on than to drive with it all on.

What have you been finding better?

Agreed, i tried it as it seemed to make sense, always best to turn TRC off in snow in most cars, and of course snow 'on' works well as you say.

Used the car for the first time in a week and even though the roads are a lot better I very nearly got stuck. I live on a fairly gentle hill and even with five 25kg bags of sand in the boot there is still very little traction from the rear wheels. Very nervous about taking it out on the road until the snow has gone tbh.

It's even worse in my automatic :ohmy:

The car wants to go forwards all the time, makes controlling the car on ice difficult.

When you skid in the automatic, you have to keep on the brakes, otherwise as soon as you lift off the engine cuts in and starts pushing you along again! :ohmy:

Oh what fun! :hehe:

It's even worse in my automatic :ohmy:

The car wants to go forwards all the time, makes controlling the car on ice difficult.

When you skid in the automatic, you have to keep on the brakes, otherwise as soon as you lift off the engine cuts in and starts pushing you along again! :ohmy:

Oh what fun! :hehe:

You need to knock it into N as you come to a halt. It's a pain, but it makes a huge difference. At <5mph the ABS doesn't kick in either, so if the front wheels lock completely you will find yourself sliding forwards with neither brakes nor steering!

I've been driving with TRC Off and I pulled the ABS fuse to get rid of VSC & ABS.

Call me mad, but ABS does no good in slippery conditions as the car doesn't stop quick enough, plus it lets me feel like I'm in control not the car!

I have been out and about all over the place during this weather including some very remote country lanes. I think it has done well but have been stuck a few times. I found when you get stuck it is best to switch all the driver aids off. I then managed to move off using almost full throttle. The wheels spin but quickly dig in and off i go lol

I've been driving with TRC Off and I pulled the ABS fuse to get rid of VSC & ABS.

Call me mad, but ABS does no good in slippery conditions as the car doesn't stop quick enough, plus it lets me feel like I'm in control not the car!

You are mad :) You can't beat ABS with manual skills for braking...

Choice and condition of tyre will also make a huge difference to how the car performs in snow. I have Goodyear eagle F1's which is maybe not a great pattern, but they have a lot of depth in the tread which definitely seems to help. There have been a few ramps I struggled to get up but braking has not been a problem for me. Overall, considering the car, I have been quite happy with its performance on the slippery. stuff. Although my car is only really used at the weekends so probably have not come across the types of obstacles many of you will have been facing recently. Safe driving people.

my is300 is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard inthese conditions....just hopeless lol

Agree with you there. IS 300 is without any doubt the most useless car I have ever driven on snow.

Fitted a solution though :ph34r: No probs at all anymore in snow. :)

IMG_4153.jpg

IMG_4157.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am just wondering whether my 2001 IS200 is incorrectly wired for TRC ON/OFF. I went out today (cold and damp) and turned left under power on to the main road with TRC OFF. Even with poor back tyres P6000/Wanlis, it just turned without wheelspin and skiddy car sign. With TRC ON it would have spun up with the skiddy car sign going mental.

Most of the previous posts seem to back this up. Interesting to know if other members have found this, only when it is safe of course. Could be that it "year related".

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links