Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is It Possible To Lock Keys Into Is220D?

Hi folks,

Been surfing the web for a nice IS220d - came across one and phoned the garage selling it. He said that he couldn't let me go for a drive until next week as a previous test driver had locked both sets of keys into the car by accident - they are waiting for a replacement key from Lexus. Apparently both sets of keys were in the car at the time. He got out and pushed the button on the car door to lock it.

I'm just a little suspicious - is it possible to do this? I had though that is wasn't possible with modern cars - please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just not that trusting of car dealers!! Car appears to check out otherwise.

I don't know for sure but like you I didn't think you could do that anyway. I thought the car knows when the key is inside it and won't lock.........perhaps someone could try it and see (as long as you have a spare to hand)

Hi folks,

Been surfing the web for a nice IS220d - came across one and phoned the garage selling it. He said that he couldn't let me go for a drive until next week as a previous test driver had locked both sets of keys into the car by accident - they are waiting for a replacement key from Lexus. Apparently both sets of keys were in the car at the time. He got out and pushed the button on the car door to lock it.

I'm just a little suspicious - is it possible to do this? I had though that is wasn't possible with modern cars - please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just not that trusting of car dealers!! Car appears to check out otherwise.

I don't think that should be possible - although I have only tried it with one fob at a time on my ISF. Anyway, just take it as a terrible warning: the phrase "Nice IS220D" is an oxymoron.

Ahem...Yes......Twice.

Mine is a 2006 220d.....try this.

1 do it outside your house

2 leave SPARE key in the aforementioned house

3 walk to car

4 using 'normal' key, open boot/back door

5 accidentally leave 'normal' key in boot/back of car

6 close boot/back door

7 stand at side of car

8 be amazed as the car locks itself

9 walk into your house, get the spare key and open the car back up

this also works on madams is 250...!

Hi folks,

I don't think that should be possible - although I have only tried it with one fob at a time on my ISF. Anyway, just take it as a terrible warning: the phrase "Nice IS220D" is an oxymoron.

Well we all can't afford an ISF you know ;-)

What is the problem with the IS220d? I had always thought they were a perfectly good car? I really can't go for the IS250 due to fuel economy and I want Lexus reliability - surely the IS220d is a good compromise?

Hi folks,

Well we all can't afford an ISF you know ;-)

What is the problem with the IS220d? I had always thought they were a perfectly good car? I really can't go for the IS250 due to fuel economy and I want Lexus reliability - surely the IS220d is a good compromise?

I understand the need for economy. But personally I would choose an older IS200 in preference to a brand new IS220D - reliability will be no worse, and you can use a huge amount of petrol for what you save in price, plus the drive is so very much better. The IS220D is not a bad car, but is far from being the best diesel around and rests firmly at the bottom of the list of Lexus's best cars.

Surely as the key is still in the vicinity of the car, touching the inside of the driver's door handle would unlock it again wouldn't it?

Another very good point :)

I can confirm that My IS200 locks after 30 seconds, if you only open the boot and leave the key in the boot.

My RX350 doesn't, which every way you try it.

haven't got a 220D to try.......

I have a 57 plate 250 and here's my story (which kind of implies that you can't lock your keys in the car).

When I went on holiday in the UK with my car I decided to take my spare 'key' with me (smart move). However, I packed it in my suitcase (bad move).

Everything was fine until we got to a service station for a toilet stop and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't lock the car.

Eventually the penny dropped and I had to unpack the boot, get the suitcase out, open it, empty half of it out as I tried to remember exactly where I'd packed the key. The only alternative would have been to take the case into the toilets with me.

The fuel economy of the 220d isn't particularly good as far as diesels go. If fuel economy is that important to you, you might be disappointed.

A work colleague of mine drives a 220d and always cites poor fuel economy as his biggest gripe about the car, whereas I drive a 250 auto and am quite content with the economy.

It's all about expectations, so make sure you do your research and know what to expect.

Wow - I'm actually really really surprised! I had assumed that the 220d was a great car - as I happen to be a big Lexus fan. Never thought I'd go on a Lexus forum and see the car get such bad press.

So maybe the 250 auto is an option. What sort of mpg can I expect from it realistically? Would be a mix of city and open road driving.

I could go down the road of a Mondeo/Avensis etc diesel but I have done that for years and want something that little bit special this time!

Thanks for all the informative responses so far folks.

I locked the keys in the boot. I had it a week. I couldn't understand why the handle button would not work. From reading the manual, it has to be in very close proximity.

Also, I think the Battery power of the fob could be a problem. I have had the IS for two months and I'm on my fourth fob Battery!

Yes, it is possible. In the boot anyway. I couldn't figure out why the handle button wouldn't work. Think it has to be in very close proximity.

On a similar note, the fob Battery could have been low. I have gone through four batteries in two months. Anyone else having this problem?

There seems to be proof both ways on this now, could there have been a modification to the locking system at some point then? I remember Steve mentioning that he thought his car could be opened from much further than he thought possible, so have they switched it the other way following people locking their keys inside?

So maybe the 250 auto is an option. What sort of mpg can I expect from it realistically? Would be a mix of city and open road driving.

A 250 is always going to be less economical than a 220d, so if economy is an issue, it's probably a deal breaker.

A mix of driving with sensible throttle/braking will probably get you around 32-34mpg, but it all depends on how much of your mix is city driving - that could easily push it down to 30mpg. My average economy is around 36mpg, but I do quite a lot of crusing at 70mph.

To get a rough idea of how different cars might compare, look at the combined cycle CO2 emmission figures. They're not perfect, but it'll allow you to place potential cars on a rough scale against each other.

I could go down the road of a Mondeo/Avensis etc diesel but I have done that for years and want something that little bit special this time!

I appreciate your dilemma.

In reading reviews of car MPG's in the mags, I have noticed that petrol car figures are far more accurate than diesels or hybrids. With every car I have owned (all petrol)there have been no surprises. I take the urban cycle and add 10% for town driving. If I use this formula for diesels or hybrids it would give figures that testers don't achieve. My advice with diesels and hybrids is to use testers figures not the gov't ones.

Peronally I think its pretty much impossible to lock the cars in the car and definitely dont go for a 2.2 diesel, my 250 was in for a service last week and I got a practically new 2.2 .! sluggish, noisy, wouldnt pull 6 at anything less than 70 and an awful booming noiose when I did manage to get into top . Steer clear mate ! crying.gif GOD was it good to get the 250 back

Peronally I think its pretty much impossible to lock the cars in the car and definitely dont go for a 2.2 diesel, my 250 was in for a service last week and I got a practically new 2.2 .! sluggish, noisy, wouldnt pull 6 at anything less than 70 and an awful booming noiose when I did manage to get into top . Steer clear mate ! crying.gif GOD was it good to get the 250 back

i have to agree with gordi on this, the 250 is the car i should have rather than the 220d. according to lexus there is very little difference in economy between the two models

I don't want to continue this diesel/petrol discussion - just for correcting the bias - I am perfectly satisfied and with sensible driving extra urban I easily achieve 51mpg. Almost 4 year average is in my signature and for last two years I tow trailer with motorbike quite a lot...

MPG on a 250 Auto - I've done 23k miles over 2.5 yrs of all types of driving and the trip now says nearly 33mpg. On a good steady motorway run at 70mph, I can achieve up to 45mpg.

You've managed to resist resetting the MPG display for 2.5 years? That's impressive.

Regarding your 45mpg on a good steady motorway run, I too can vouch for that - although it helps if it's a nice hot day.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links